Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Know this has gone around and round, but Ive been looking at post after post and thought asking would be easier. I have an 04/05 with port work and I will be using the 08 race intake cam and stock exhaust cam with spring kit from Dwayne at Cycle Concepts. From what I have gathered I will prob have them degreed at 107/105. Bottom end of motor is stock.

Which head gasket should I run and where do I get it? I looked up on Cometic and they offer 3 different ones. 2 with a 76mm bore and 1 with a 78mm bore. I assume as did Cometic that 76mm is stock. There were 2 thicknesses: .027" (stock we assumed), and .018". How do these measurements compare to the .50 and .45 measurements ive been reading about? Im a little confused. Someone with some knowledge on this topic please let me know wich head gasket I should use and is a Cometic gasket going to be better than a Kawi gasket?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
hg

kaw .045 fact.race gasket, still in stk. at warehouses, your dealer may say not available to order, but tell him to ck warehouse inventory availability. $18.00. stk. is .065, .045 is .008 thinner, .050 .006 thinner. .045 good with cam setup, go with it if possible as it produces more power by increased compression and tighter quench area. u can also deck head a small amount for more power. stk. bore 76. kaw is best gasket.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I Know this has gone around and round, but Ive been looking at post after post and thought asking would be easier. I have an 04/05 with port work and I will be using the 08 race intake cam and stock exhaust cam with spring kit from Dwayne at Cycle Concepts. From what I have gathered I will prob have them degreed at 107/105. Bottom end of motor is stock.

Which head gasket should I run and where do I get it? I looked up on Cometic and they offer 3 different ones. 2 with a 76mm bore and 1 with a 78mm bore. I assume as did Cometic that 76mm is stock. There were 2 thicknesses: .027" (stock we assumed), and .018". How do these measurements compare to the .50 and .45 measurements ive been reading about? Im a little confused. Someone with some knowledge on this topic please let me know wich head gasket I should use and is a Cometic gasket going to be better than a Kawi gasket?
WildB302, Just Finished my bike 2 days ago - I have the .45 head gasket with 08 race intake and stock exhaust cam, I already tried the 107/104 degree and because the cam shaft sprocket slipped - I re-degreed the cams in at 110/102 like the 08 Kawasaki Kit Cam Recommended - LET ME SAVE YOU SOME HEADACHE _Use 110/102 and remove your Secondaries - The Midrange and topend performance is VERY Significantly Better with these Degree #'s - WAY BETTER than the 107/104 - That 08 Intake cam was Engineered with a profile that works best at 110/102,,I have read everything on this web-site about cams and degrees - Ive heard that the 110 works better on top with a possible slight loss in your mid or low - THAT IS COMPLETELY FALSE - the Bottom Mid and TOP work better with these #'s. I've Degreed this 08 intake and stock Exhaust in 3 times 105/102, 107/103, 110/102 - and the 110/102 STOMPS all the other degree #'s - I believe its because of the Profile of this cam- Short Duration higher lift. I wish someone had this to say before I tried all 3 cam #'s - Just trying to help ya - OH yeah - remove those 2ndary Flies.:eek:ccasion1
This bike runs faster and harder than It ever has - :eyecrazy:

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
WildB302, Just Finished my bike 2 days ago - I have the .45 head gasket with 08 race intake and stock exhaust cam, I already tried the 107/104 degree and because the cam shaft sprocket slipped - I re-degreed the cams in at 110/102 like the 08 Kawasaki Kit Cam Recommended - LET ME SAVE YOU SOME HEADACHE _Use 110/102 and remove your Secondaries - The Midrange and topend performance is VERY Significantly Better with these Degree #'s - WAY BETTER than the 107/104 - That 08 Intake cam was Engineered with a profile that works best at 110/102,,I have read everything on this web-site about cams and degrees - Ive heard that the 110 works better on top with a possible slight loss in your mid or low - THAT IS COMPLETELY FALSE - the Bottom Mid and TOP work better with these #'s. I've Degreed this 08 intake and stock Exhaust in 3 times 105/102, 107/103, 110/102 - and the 110/102 STOMPS all the other degree #'s - I believe its because of the Profile of this cam- Short Duration higher lift. I wish someone had this to say before I tried all 3 cam #'s - Just trying to help ya - OH yeah - remove those 2ndary Flies.:eek:ccasion1
Got a pic of the dyno chart?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Oh its cool man, I was just messin with ya. I'm not sure if I'm goin to deck the head or not so I want the thinnest head gasket possible to start with.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ya man Ive been following your post on another thread about the degree of your cams. Sounds good. I think I'll take advantage of your testing! Thanks alot for the info. :+2:

How do I go about removing the secondary flies? and what difference does it make. Does it reduce torque at all? Also, do you have an ignition module, and if so how did you alter your timing. I plan on adjusting mine...on the dyno of course.

·
Registered
874 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
WildB302,

I did not alter my timing - and do not have an ignition module or ignition map:
was interested in buying one but there didn't seem to be much of a proven consensus on the benefit of buying the module. I will tell you this - when you install the 08 intake cam you'll definitely need to tune your A/F ratio. It runs extremely lean on bottom and mid and pretty close to stock from 8-11k;
anywho the a/f map needs attention - BUT WHEN THE FLIES ARE OUT - and this cam is in and its mapped in right - you'll have an incredible motor on your hands. Strong bottom and mid - good hit and pull on top...:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WildB302,

I did not alter my timing - and do not have an ignition module or ignition map:
was interested in buying one but there didn't seem to be much of a proven consensus on the benefit of buying the module. I will tell you this - when you install the 08 intake cam you'll definitely need to tune your A/F ratio. It runs extremely lean on bottom and mid and pretty close to stock from 8-11k;
anywho the a/f map needs attention - BUT WHEN THE FLIES ARE OUT - and this cam is in and its mapped in right - you'll have an incredible motor on your hands. Strong bottom and mid - good hit and pull on top...:eek:ccasion1
Ya Ill be getting a full tune for sure. Did on my last bike too. Im interested in the Ign Module not only to bump the timing up a little, but also because it lets you adjust the rev limiter. These bikes slam into the factory rev limiter like they really want more revs. I figure a couple degrees advance and some high octane cant hurt either.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
part # for .045 head gasket

Does anyone have a part # for the thin .045 head gasket and even a phone number to where I can buy one. Ron ayers and my local Kawi dealer are trying to say it doesnt exsist.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Does anyone have a part # for the thin .045 head gasket and even a phone number to where I can buy one. Ron ayers and my local Kawi dealer are trying to say it doesnt exsist.
part # 11004-0023 .45mm gasket.... you can run that with no problems at all.

check out ronayers again with that price but you can order it from anywhere, I'd go with your local dealer, will get there faster

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
part # 11004-0023 .45mm gasket.... you can run that with no problems at all.

check out ronayers again with that price but you can order it from anywhere, I'd go with your local dealer, will get there faster
Awesome thanks. I just found that part number for the 08 zx10, and was wondering if they were the same. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts