Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would happen if I put a 180/55 on the back of my ZX10?

I was a the dealer a few months ago to pick up my new tire, and the parts guy said I would be fine with a 180 instead of a 190. Is this true?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I run a 180/55 on my commuting wheel set but a 190/60 on weekends. Depends what you are doing with your bike to be honest. If you track your bike, you'll probably notice more of a difference than drag racing or just commuting.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,670 Posts
Can you run one? Sure. Should you? Nope.

That tire was designed for a 5.5" rim. But the 6" that is on the 10R. It will flatten out, which lowers the profile, and will change the way the bike turns in, grips, and rides. If the bike is a straight up commuter or a dedicated track bike, you could do it. If you like taking corners though our riding somewhat hard, then stick with the 190/55. (And notice I did not say use a 190/50 either). 190/55....

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Can you run one? Sure. Should you? Nope.

That tire was designed for a 5.5" rim. But the 6" that is on the 10R. It will flatten out, which lowers the profile, and will change the way the bike turns in, grips, and rides. If the bike is a straight up commuter or a dedicated track bike, you could do it. If you like taking corners though and riding somewhat hard, then stick with the 190/55. (And notice I did not say use a 190/50 either). 190/55....
pardon me sir did you say 190/50?? :wink:

BD

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whats the difference between 190/50 and 190/55?

and with the 180, what is the issue? poor handling? poor turn in? Im just trying to learn here

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,670 Posts
The numbers you're looking at are the size of the tire. The first number is the width of the tire in millimetres. The second number is the height of the tire in percent of the width. So a190/55 is 190mm wide (roughly) and 104.5mm tall (190 x .55 = 104.5mm).

The taller the tire, the rounder the profile in most cases. If the tire is flatter, it will not transition as well. There is some variation due to the manufacturer's not this is not a guaranty. A Dunlop will feel different than a Pirelli of the same size. They won't even measure the same in actuality. But it's pretty universal that a 190/55 class rear is better.

The other thing is if using a smaller rear, the rear will be lower down. This changes the geometry of the forks. It will increase trail and reduce rake. Both will cause sluggish stearing in most cases.

The contract patch will also be affected. As is the weight. The only advantages of a smaller size tire is really the lower rotational weight and the effective change in gearing. Because of these things, the smaller tire will accelerate slightly quicker. Again, good for drag racing.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,670 Posts
while skynerd is technically correct...for the average streetrider it wont make a spits worth of difference. try it, ride it, dont like it, sell it.

But I'm not your average street rider. I notice the difference.

And it's cloudnerd.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
What would happen if I put a 180/55 on the back of my ZX10?

I was a the dealer a few months ago to pick up my new tire, and the parts guy said I would be fine with a 180 instead of a 190. Is this true?
No, it's not true. That's absurd. A 190 section tire is taller and wider and will make big difference in how the bike handles, even for the average guy. The front will understeer and the bike will turn slower, is that what anyone is looking for in handling?:confused::helmet:

Use the size the bike was designed to use, it has a 6-inch rim, run the 190/55.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Whats the difference between 190/50 and 190/55?

and with the 180, what is the issue? poor handling? poor turn in? Im just trying to learn here
The precise dimensions of these tire sizes are available on the manufacturer's websites. Try Dunlop first, those number are posted. For other brands you may have to contact them via email or some other method, carrier pigeon, smoke signals...

High-Performance Dunlop Motorcycle Tires

The 190/55 is a half-inch taller and about 0.4" wider than the 180/55, for example. 1/2" is 12mm, that's a lot of ride height there.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Also, width varies between manufacturers and even different models from the same manufacturer. I have found a 180 can measure anywhere in between 176 and 185, a 190 between 186 and 195, a 200 from 196 up. I have found a model from one manufacturer in a 180 to be almost the same width as a 190 from another manufacturer. But, usually tires are designed for a certain rim size. I have run 200 Dunlop slicks on my ZX6Rs with a 5.5" rim and burned up 180 takeoffs designed for 5.5" rims on my ZX10 with 6" rims. You just have to understand that they're not all going to handle the same. With that in mind take it easy until you get used to the differences. As mentioned stretching a 180 onto a 6" rim will result in a slower turn in, but it's certainly ride-able.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was just curious, I had to put continental motions on my bike in a pinch (because I was broke and I mostly commute) But it feels like my bike always wants to kick out and lowside.
It wasn't as bad when it was brand new, but after nearly 1k miles its not dangerous to ride, but I cant dig in to the curves like I would like.
(made it a little better when I aired them up properly, but im still nervous to throw it down in a curve)

Anyways, Im looking at picking up a new set before spring and was curious on the sizing thing

1 - 15 of 15 Posts