Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What gun do you recommend for home protection? I want a weapon just in case someone wants to break in the home. Thoughts? BTW I dedicate this thread to sky dork and VR6.

PS: this is sort of a best gun thread. Lol.

·
Registered
578 Posts
pump 12 guage shotgun and buck shot. knocks down walls. the pump action noise is usually enough to send most people running with poop falling out of them. :D Ski

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
pump 12 guage shotgun and buck shot. knocks down walls. the pump action noise is usually enough to send most people running with poop falling out of them. :D Ski
:+1: there is no protection like a gauge. But if you want a pistol get a judge!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
212 Posts
Pump action.don't even beef a slug.something about cocking a shout gun paralyzes the spine

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
:+1: There is no better close encounter protection than a short barrell 12 gauge, especially when loaded with buck shot. My 12 gauge is in my closet and I have 7 rounds loaded and cocked. I alternate buck shot with scatter shot.

I sleep with a .45 automatic within reach. I guess you could say I'm of the philosophy that once someone has failed to heed the implied warning of locked doors, I don't want them to have much heads up what's coming next.

:+1: .45 is the only pistol I use when it comes to protection. I carry my Crusader 1911 everywhere. My fiance carries a .380 which is much like a 9mm. It's smaller and lighter, but doesn't have the stopping power a .45 has.
"Bullets are cheaper than lawyers, and there are no appeals."
:+1: there is no protection like a gauge. But if you want a pistol get a judge!
Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
:+1: The Judge is an interesting gun lol. Carries a .45 or a 4/10 shell. I've read mixed reviews on them as far as using them as protection. I do not own one, but I have a buddy who does and it's a fun gun to shoot for sure.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm listening for sure. What about multiple weapons in different parts of the house? What good is a weapon in master bedroom upstairs if you are in the basement? It that what the pros do? Multiple weapons?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Guns are made to do damage so anything you go with is going to punch through the sheetrock in your house. Get something you are comfortable with and can shoot proficiently. Then know the layout of each room so you know which direction the beds are from any room in the house so you try not to shoot in that direction, but situations are never perfect. It might sound kinda paranoid but you could always get a concealable pistol and good holster and carry inside your house, that's what I do.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Guns are made to do damage so anything you go with is going to punch through the sheetrock in your house. Get something you are comfortable with and can shoot proficiently. Then know the layout of each room so you know which direction the beds are from any room in the house so you try not to shoot in that direction, but situations are never perfect. It might sound kinda paranoid but you could always get a concealable pistol and good holster and carry inside your house, that's what I do.
Some of the best advice I've seen on any message board ever. Rep sent.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Very Sound advice.

I would not suggest weapons all over the house for there are more chances of them being found and used against you or someone in your family finding it and having an accident. The shotgun is nice because in the moment when your adrenaline is high and your nerves are shaking, you can just point and fire and most likely hit what you're aiming at..

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
If using a piston, stay away from cheap ammo. Cheaper ammo typically doesn't "mushroom" on impact and can continue to pass through your target and then some causing harm to others. You want stopping power. A bullet that passes through it's target and continues traveling allows the victim to proceed on adrenaline. A bullet that "mushrooms" out the exit has much more stopping power and is much more detrimental to organ tissue.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks fellas, I teach self-defense shooting classes from beginner to advanced. Also once you make that decision to get a firearm for protection you need to practice and keep practicing its one of those things that will make your performance suffer ie hitting your intended target.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Very Sound advice.

I would not suggest weapons all over the house for there are more chances of them being found and used against you or someone in your family finding it and having an accident. The shotgun is nice because in the moment when your adrenaline is high and your nerves are shaking, you can just point and fire and most likely hit what you're aiming at..
Thats what I decided last time shooting, I'm not accurate with my 45 when I'm trying to move fast.. someone breaks in i"m going for the shot gun.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
About getting a judge check your local laws I have herd that they may not be leagle in some places.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Thanks fellas, I teach self-defense shooting classes from beginner to advanced. Also once you make that decision to get a firearm for protection you need to practice and keep practicing its one of those things that will make your performance suffer ie hitting your intended target.
I too am an avid shooter and realize that a lot of gun owners, especially those looking mainly for a self defense fire arm, are not avid shooters or true gun enthusiasts and there for are busy doing other things and don't have the time or passion to devote to constant range time. It is for this reason I suggest a shotgun. For someone like you and me, your advise is about as good as it gets. :eek:ccasion1

1 - 20 of 189 Posts