Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a question : today I filled the tank with 98 octane gas (vc 95 usualy). Look's to me it run's smoother...specialy below 5k (yeah I know, not a place to stay, but I can't be around 10k all day long in an open road...:headshake )
And not only below 5k.
Has anyone tried different grades of gas ?
What do you get from testing that ?
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
536 Posts
Don't forget you're mixing what you have selected from the pump with whatever is left over in the hose from the previous customer. That's why I always wait until the tank is almost empty to fill up.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reminder Crypto !
Also, b/c I'm shure there's a 'placebo' effect out there, I'm asking around to get some 'statistics' on the fact...

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
Is the octane rating in Europe the same as over here?

98-:eyecrazy:

The only way you could get that high a octane in my part of the world is a racing fuel or leaded gas.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
What higher octane fuel will do is lean out the engine. The higher the octane number the leaner it will become. Your bike could be too fat at that rpm and the fuel is helping it out. During the summer I mix 50% 93 with 50% 112 leaded. It runs really well. Instead of going in and leaning the map for the summer I add higher octane fuel. We get it free from work so that helps. $6.50 a gallon on the street. You can play with the fuel and usually find a happy medium if necessary. This bike really needs around 95 octane anyway. When the dynojet module comes out I will definately get it. Although it will require more octane. Figure every week that unleaded fuel sits it looses about 1 octane point , so if you don't ride that much you could be running around on about 89 octane. That is assuming what you are getting out of the pump is actually 93. The only way to be sure is to do a specific gravity test.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Octane is simply a fuels resistance to ignition. Higher octane=higher temp to ignite.No power gain unless you are fighting pre-ignition.Oxygenation is where you will get a difference.Placebo effect has made many slow bikes.What feels fast is not always so.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,391 Posts
Keep in mind that octane ratings in Europe are not calculated the same way as North America. I don't remember what the difference is, all I remember is that their numbers are always higher for what is really the same thing.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, thanks everyone. I run the bike each & every day: it's my single & only vehicle (call that a vehicle.... :rolleyes: )
So I guess the fuel doesn't have time to turn into 'water'...
Trouble is this week it is humongously windy down here that I can't run above 8k. So next week I'll go into further testing (wich is my job BTW) to see what happens up there !
But No Sh.. , it feels much smoother in the first third of the tacho.
If anyone has more info, thanks to share !!!!
:eek:ccasion1

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
jeech said:
89 pump is no good for my bike.. I put about 3 gallons in the other day, the station was out of 93.

Started to ping for a dead stop take off.

Unless you would not have made it home, I can't see how you would even think of putting 89 in your tank. :headshake

This is a race bike and even the factory requires 91 or above. In california there is only 91 mostly but if they sold 93 that would be my choice. :smile:

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
The lower octane will give more H.P. advance the timing to avoid the ping. Old school trick I can already hear the blasts I'll be getting from this but it does work.

·
Registered
215 Posts
A 76 station down the street sells 100 octane "race fuel" over here.I hear selected 76 stations offer this fuel.But at 7.50 a gallon,i dont buy it often!

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Actually lower octain is supposed to be better.I cant remember where i seen this but they said you get better performance with it :dontknow: ...

The busa guys swear by this so...i heard.....who knows i'll just keep runnung JP4 in mine.....fugg it.

·
OG Post Whore
10,400 Posts
haha i never heard about that killer

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
R1GSXRKILLER said:
Actually lower octain is supposed to be better.I cant remember where i seen this but they said you get better performance with it :dontknow: ...

The busa guys swear by this so...i heard.....who knows i'll just keep runnungJP4 in mine.....fugg it.
The busa guys are correct. Like jeffzx998 said, the higher the octane-the more temperature and pressure it takes to ignite the mixture in the cylinder. In stock form, even our mighty 10R won't make anymore power on high octane gas.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts