Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
ok.

your normal throttle throw is 1/4 turn, from not to WOT.

the 1/5 is 1/5 turn from not to WOT.

Thus increasing your response tremendously! :badteeth:

·
Registered
162 Posts
I think what Hill is saying you accelerate quicker with less rotation of the throttle tube allowing you to get to wot wide open throttle with less turning of your wrist. I think its probably more useful on the track than on the street, but I could be mistaken.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Ctchme said:
I think what Hill is saying you accelerate quicker with less rotation of the throttle tube allowing you to get to wot wide open throttle with less turning of your wrist. I think its probably more useful on the track than on the street, but I could be mistaken.
Can't grasp (pun) it lol. Don't think this mod would be for the faint of heart.:bump:

·
Registered
675 Posts
hillcountry10r said:
ok.

your normal throttle throw is 1/4 turn, from not to WOT.

the 1/5 is 1/5 turn from not to WOT.

Thus increasing your response tremendously! :badteeth:
ok, but lets say youre your exiting a corner and you want to put the power down slowly so u dont slide, will it not be more dificult to control the power? :dontknow:

and how about wheelies? wil it no be more dificult to control them or/and easier to loop?

tks 4 the answers... im just trying to learn :wink:

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
The throttle doesn't turn itself. So no, it is not more difficult to dial in the amount of power you want - it is all about your ability to control your right wrist, period.

The only thing the 1/5th turn conversion does is make it so you need to turn the throttle less for a given amount of fuel delivered to the injectors vs the 1/4th turn throttle.

FWIW - I love my 1/5th turn throttle, especially on the track. It took me a few rides to adjust my 'throttle brain' but now I don't even notice it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I think what he is trying to ask is will it be more sensitive.
Answer is Yes!.
The Throttle Angle/Actual throttle posistion. Throttle Angle being the turn of the rist and actual throttle posistion being of the TPS. This will make the sensitivity of the system increase. The same throttle twist will result in more throttle posistion to the computer with the 1/5 mod

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've read all the posts about the 1/5 turn throttle and a crucial point is being overlooked:

It's also a safety feature, especially on the track. Forget the responsiveness and think for a moment about turning that ridiculous stock (on 2011 anyway) throttle WO on a straight. Your wrist is contorted and your elbow is almost pointing in forward! At the end of the straight you have to get that stupid thing all the way back to close and grab 2 fingers of brake, quickly, or you're in a world of hurt. If you have even a sliver of travel left "you're gonna have a bad time".

This happened to me the first day on this bike and it was very costly.

Also, when that bike is pulling off a turn like a freight train and you are only holding on to the right bar with your fingertips cause you have to turn the throttle so far, not only is this dangerous, but your forearm will hate you after a few sessions.

The stock throttle throw basically effs up you're riding position all over the track. If you're not comfortable you're not safe OR fast.

Lastly, the alternative is you buy a kit for $150-$200 and have to spend an entire day changing out the throttle and CABLES.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I've read all the posts about the 1/5 turn throttle and a crucial point is being overlooked:

It's also a safety feature, especially on the track. Forget the responsiveness and think for a moment about turning that ridiculous stock (on 2011 anyway) throttle WO on a straight. Your wrist is contorted and your elbow is almost pointing in forward! At the end of the straight you have to get that stupid thing all the way back to close and grab 2 fingers of brake, quickly, or you're in a world of hurt. If you have even a sliver of travel left "you're gonna have a bad time".

This happened to me the first day on this bike and it was very costly.

Also, when that bike is pulling off a turn like a freight train and you are only holding on to the right bar with your fingertips cause you have to turn the throttle so far, not only is this dangerous, but your forearm will hate you after a few sessions.

The stock throttle throw basically effs up you're riding position all over the track. If you're not comfortable you're not safe OR fast.

Lastly, the alternative is you buy a kit for $150-$200 and have to spend an entire day changing out the throttle and CABLES.
Yes this is right. But I rarely if ever use FULL/WOT throttle right to the stop on any bike. However the 1/4-turn throttle is also a safety feature because it's less sensitive. Never used anything but the stock throttle for 32 years, unless you are an expert rider and racing and need full gas all the time, forget it.:helmet:

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
What you could do is get a cam-type throttle such as the Throttle Tamer. You can try different cams which are interchangeable to tailor the throttle response how you like it. With their throttle tube (nice piece of billet) you can then use any of a number of cams which ramp the throttle at different rates. You can have slower ramp up and then normal for easier off-idle, or you can have it ramp up right away, super-fast, or several in-between.

Kinda spendy but there it is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts