Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a buddy that's looking for a first Gen and apparently he found one on CL and asked if this was a good deal, and I'm pretty sure he says he got the guy down to $4900.

First thing I see is the little dent in the frame. :headshake I told him make sure he found out what it was from.

What do you guys think???? :dontknow:

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/1271162006.html

P.S. if this is someone from the forum, please let me know the details, because dude is seriously wanting to buy this bike.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Looks really clean. Chain and sprocket looks like it was taken care of. The dent on the frame looks superficial. A good close inspection would tell more story.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
I'd keep looking. Hell, when I was trying to sell my 05 a few months ago I had it listed for 5k with only 7,500 miles, and it came with 2 stands, 2 helmets and the bike is mint.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd keep looking. Hell, when I was trying to sell my 05 a few months ago I had it listed for 5k with only 7,500 miles, and it came with 2 stands, 2 helmets and the bike is mint.
:eyecrazy:Ummmm.....did you already sell it????????????

Trust me guys I've been telling him to get a new one, but apparently he doesn't want a monthly note. I say wait and save. :wink: But you just can't tell these Navy guys anything. :heyyou: Anyways, I've told him to get an 08' but he thinks he can find a 1st Gen pay cash and get the rush he got, when he rode my 05' :dontknow:

·
Registered
778 Posts
tell him to buy new, or buy one on here there are plenty of nice bikes on here, and chances are that if you buy a bike from somebody on here it is very well taken care of!

·
Registered
648 Posts
I'd start asking questions... First question i'd ask just to see if he's gonna be truthful or not is... "Has the bike ever been wrecked" ? If he says no, he's gonna lie to you about everything else as well. All the body work has obviously been replaced on that bike and for you to get a dent on a frame on a sportbike you gotta hit something pretty darn hard! Way to tell body work has been replace are there are no factory decals on it anywhere that i see! If you and you're buddy are knowledgeable enough, you should be able to find out what all the bike has been through and had done to it just by asking questions! Good luck though!

·
Registered
410 Posts
probably not a bad deal, but would need the story on the frame to be sure.

For reference, I picked up my '06 with 9K miles on it for $5000. It was/is mint. Not a scratch on it, and owned by a mature guy that babied it. Had new supercorsa Pro tires on it too.

If it runs good, has a good title, and isn't tweaked at all, i'd say it's alright.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
:headshake

Dented frame - most likely other tweaked bits as well.

Looks really clean. Chain and sprocket looks like it was taken care of. The dent on the frame looks superficial. A good close inspection would tell more story.
The chain and sproket are new, according to the ad. Would explain why they don't look tore up from the floor up like the rest of the bike.

These kinds of bikes baffle me. Who in the world would pay even $4k for this bike, but not pay $5500-$6k for one that has an honest history with an undamaged frame? I know $1500-$2k isn't a small amount of difference, but why pay $4k for garbage?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
the bike looks clean. obviously its been in a wreck, so it would require a good close up inspection, especially on the underside of the entire frame. would still go lower on the price.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Another reason to buy new:

IRS Tax Tips
Del.icio.us

Digg

Reddit

StumbleUpon

April 20, 2009 – TT-2009-3

Seven Facts about the New Sales Tax Deduction for Vehicle Purchases
Audio: American Recovery and Reinvestment Act Vehicle Tax Deduction

Taxpayers who buy a new car or several other types of motor vehicles this year may be entitled to a special tax deduction when they file their 2009 federal tax returns next year. The tax break is part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009.

Here are seven things you should know about this new deduction:

1.State and local sales taxes paid on up to $49,500 of the purchase price of qualifying vehicles are deductible.
2.Qualified motor vehicles generally include new (not used) cars, light trucks, motor homes and motorcycles.
3.Purchases must occur after Feb. 16, 2009, and before Jan. 1, 2010.
4.This deduction can be taken regardless of whether or not you itemize other deductions on your tax return.
5.Taxpayers will claim this deduction when filing their 2009 federal income tax return next year.
6.The amount of the deduction is phased out for taxpayers whose modified adjusted gross income is between $125,000 and $135,000 for individual filers and between $250,000 and $260,000 for joint filers.
7.The deduction may not be taken on 2008 tax returns.
Consumers who are considering buying a new car may find that this tax incentive means there may have never been a better time to buy.

For more information about the sales and excise tax deduction for motor vehicle purchases visit the official IRS web site at IRS.gov

Note: Item #4 above has been corrected to remove an erroneous reference to this being an "above-the-line deduction." (04/21/2009)

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
I personally think its a good deal, depending how the dent got there. I have a similar dent on my 10 from my bar end, and my frame is good. I know this because I have put almost 16K on it since that incident, and I have had it stripped to the frame just a short while back during a cleaning and inspection to make sure. That said an inspection of that one would be a must, and I would give a dime until that is done. Looks good though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts