Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I'm looking for some advice regarding a bike I am thinking of buying.
It's a 2009 ZX10R in orange, with 40,000 miles, It's had 4 previous owners, last service carried out at 35,000 miles included valve service.
I have had multiple sports bikes in the past: R1, 954, GSXR1K, but never owned a Kawasaki, also never owned a bike with over 20K miles.
If anyone could share their thoughts and opinions I would be eager to hear before the bike sells.
I have searched multiple forums and the general consensus seems to be that 40K for this bike is no big deal.

Here is the ebay link: Kawasaki ZX10-R 2009 E8F | eBay

I should have mentioned that due to Covid restrictions here, I am unable to go see the bike, so this would be an online purchase.

Any help appreciated

Will

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Hi welcome to the forum mate, 40,000 isn't really an issue depending on what your plans are road ie commuting and sundays isn't really an issue, an older higher mileage engine isn't really the best bet for a track bike excluding occasional track day ie training days.The G3 engine in stock form is a robust unit with no major flaws unless your going to be tuning and upping the rev limit then you need to be thinking about increasing oil pressure relief and the rods are same as previous gens. That particular bike looks clean and i guess looking at the chicken strips the last owner was a fanny. It is a good price given the condition. Older will mean that you have to expect hidden issues and soon things like, starter alternator regulator, wheel bearings, swingarm bearings head bearings and obviously clutch if that is still original. It doesn't have upgraded brakes which were never the best on this model and appears to have stock suspension, you may want to spend on those 2 areas. 4 the money that looks like a deal depending on your location and delivery collection issues and if there warranty is robust.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I posted in another thread - figure on spending about $1000-$2000 to get a bike like that roadworthy and safe. Valves, brakes, tires, fork seals, shock seals, chain/sprockets, other misc parts. And it wouldn't matter if you bought a bike twice as expensive. All these items will need to be done every 15-20k miles or so. Unless you're buying a bike that's 2-3 years old, there's always going to be work to do.

TLDR - looks like a good deal. I would buy that bike, do what needs to be done, and enjoy it for a couple more years.

·
The Pace
7,104 Posts
I know zero about Kawa liters prior to g4's; I would buy ONLY a new Kawa 10r, with extended warranty and add each additional extended warranty. The Kawa company backs their product but this is the first superbike that forced me to buy each and every extended warranty, on the g4, as so love the 400 pound weight range. My problem has been the valves and possible clutch/piston bearings, but latter not confirmed WHILE valves ARE confirmed as being a weak area. Kawa backs their bike every time. Have to be patient with the dealer, though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts