Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly, i'm not sure if this is better in the general section or racing section, but since it is a track video i stuck it here.

I was watching this video the other day and found it strange that he crashed where he did. What do you guys think caused this?

My best guess is that he was too hard on the brakes and was off the gas for too long, overloading the front tire. It doesn't seem like he went in too hot, or got too throttle happy.

I was just curious as to whether you guys had any other thoughts one what could have caused it.

The crash happens around the 2:05 mark:

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
It actually looks like it was a minor high-side. If you watch after the 2:07 mark, you will notice that the 2 riders in front of him start to leave him upon exiting the corner, then you hear the 'Gusta rider start to get hard on the throttle and thats when you see the rear slide and come out from under him. Simply put... too much throttle early with that lean angle he had. Maybe he used shitty rubber. :dontknow:

·
Mythical Mod of Yore
4,465 Posts
it actually looks like it was a minor high-side. If you watch after the 2:07 mark, you will notice that the 2 riders in front of him start to leave him upon exiting the corner, then you hear the 'gusta rider start to get hard on the throttle and thats when you see the rear slide and come out from under him. Simply put... Too much throttle early with that lean angle he had. Maybe he used shitty rubber. :dontknow:
:+1:

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It just seems like a very odd crash, the front end dips down so fast it doesn't even seem right.

You may be right though, it could just be shoddy rubber.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
I would call it a geometry problem, he had the ass step out 2 times under mild throttle I would say the rear of the bike is too high causing the swing arm to tuck, the bike has 0 squat and had no traction under acceleration!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would call it a geometry problem, he had the ass step out 2 times under mild throttle I would say the rear of the bike is too high causing the swing arm to tuck, the bike has 0 squat and had no traction under acceleration!
That sounds like it may be the case. His near crash at the 1:05 mark is odd too. I never had traction issues like that when I was at Jennings.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I know this is tough but looking at the backrounds was the 1st slow speed near crash and 2nd actual crash in same corner/spot ? maybe wind blowing crap onto track ect . Odd crash indeed

·
Registered
618 Posts
Your tyers don't seem to be up to the job,good tyres would have easily handled that amount of lean,is your rear suspension too stiff?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Firstly, i'm not sure if this is better in the general section or racing section, but since it is a track video i stuck it here.

I was watching this video the other day and found it strange that he crashed where he did. What do you guys think caused this?

My best guess is that he was too hard on the brakes and was off the gas for too long, overloading the front tire. It doesn't seem like he went in too hot, or got too throttle happy.

I was just curious as to whether you guys had any other thoughts one what could have caused it.

The crash happens around the 2:05 mark:
YouTube- MV Agusta F4 1000R Crash - On-Board Video from Jennings GP

How are you doing?!
I watched the video you asked for the accident casue; I belive the reason that this rider falled down was becasue he was so unexperienced. An experienced rider does not pass a turn with a dead gear (means there is no rpm which cause more revolution with less control on your rear wheel). I belive he was passing the turns with 3rd gear while he is going around 60mph and he is trying to put his knee on the ground as well (That is not secure). Now the answer to your question, the cause of the accident on 2:09 is becasue his gear was so dead, go watch the video, listen to the engine (you can clearly hear the raise of the rpm just before the bike lost control)! At 2:08 as he approched the exit of the turn, he applied throttle with that dead gear; The rear wheel escaped out becasue of the high revolution and not enough friction between the tire and the ground, the rider didn't get it back and that accident happened. Now, you might say why this accident didn't happend at 1:02 when he made the same mistake?!! I tell you right now; On 2:07 he just passed the curb on the edge of the track -the curb on the track is not so high but it has some angle and sometimes it has some height as well-. At 2:07 he passes that curb so the there is a force (toward above) from the curb to the bike which cause less frictions of the wheels to the ground. Now at 2:08 -just after 1 second of passing that curb- the suspentions and even the bike are still bouncing from that curb passing, as he applied the throttle on 2:08 on a dead gear on a less frictioned wheel, the wheel gets out of the way and that accident happened.

* The reason he didn't fall down on 1:02 was becasue he didn't pass the curb that time so there was no bouncing on the bike, so on the rear wheel (the bike was more secure on the ground and tires had more friction to the ground that time compare to 2:08).

I hope this video and this comment becomes an experience or atleast a knowledge for you and everybody else and causes you to do not do the same mistake!

Be careful, Be safe, Be happy!
ShervinRRR

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How are you doing?!
I watched the video you asked for the accident casue; I belive the reason that this rider falled down was becasue he was so unexperienced. An experienced rider does not pass a turn with a dead gear (means there is no rpm which cause more revolution with less control on your rear wheel). I belive he was passing the turns with 3rd gear while he is going around 60mph and he is trying to put his knee on the ground as well (That is not secure). Now the answer to your question, the cause of the accident on 2:09 is becasue his gear was so dead, go watch the video, listen to the engine (you can clearly hear the raise of the rpm just before the bike lost control)! At 2:08 as he approched the exit of the turn, he applied throttle with that dead gear; The rear wheel escaped out becasue of the high revolution and not enough friction between the tire and the ground, the rider didn't get it back and that accident happened. Now, you might say why this accident didn't happend at 1:02 when he made the same mistake?!! I tell you right now; On 2:07 he just passed the curb on the edge of the track -the curb on the track is not so high but it has some angle and sometimes it has some height as well-. At 2:07 he passes that curb so the there is a force (toward above) from the curb to the bike which cause less frictions of the wheels to the ground. Now at 2:08 -just after 1 second of passing that curb- the suspentions and even the bike are still bouncing from that curb passing, as he applied the throttle on 2:08 on a dead gear on a less frictioned wheel, the wheel gets out of the way and that accident happened.

* The reason he didn't fall down on 1:02 was becasue he didn't pass the curb that time so there was no bouncing on the bike, so on the rear wheel (the bike was more secure on the ground and tires had more friction to the ground that time compare to 2:08).

I hope this video and this comment becomes an experience or atleast a knowledge for you and everybody else and causes you to do not do the same mistake!

Be careful, Be safe, Be happy!
ShervinRRR
You might be right. It seems like he may have been off of the gas and kind of coasting into that tight turn while on the brakes and then may have let the clutch back out and thats when things went bad. His technique seems very odd for that corner.

It doesn't seem like it could have been a highside at that speed, but I guess it is possible if he had junk tires or possibly a very bad setup.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
It looked like he let the clutch out in second gear and the ass end slid out causing a low side.

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
I don't see a high side cause the bike slid out n layed down on the left and the rider went down on the same side as opposed to a high side would have flipped the bike AND rider to the right in a left hander.......correct? looks like he just washed out the front end to me.sucks eitherway though but after the "2 strikes" maybe it was a sign of things to come?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts