Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
YESTERDAY MY SON WHICH IS 17 TELLS ME ONE OF HIS BUDDIES WANTS TO BUY A SPORTBIKE, THIS KID IS 18 YEARS OLD IS ABOUT 5'7" AND WEIGHS IN AT 135LBS.mY SON TELLS ME THAT HIS FRIEND HAS NEVER RIDDEN ANY KIND OF MOTORCYCLE IN HIS LIFE NOT A DIRTBIKE NOT ANYTHING, SO I SAY TELL HIM TO BUY A DIRTBIKE LEARN TO RIDE FOR AWHILE THEN THINK IT OVER GOOD AND HARD BECAUSE OF ALL THE DANGERS THAT ARE INVOLVED IN RIDING ON THE STREET BEFORE BUYING A STREET BIKE. OF COURSE HE REFUSES AND SAYS HE WANTS TO GO TO A LOCAL DEALER TO LOOK AT THEM, SO I DECIDE TO SEND HIM TO THE LOCAL HONDA/SUZUKI DEALER WHERE ONE OF MY GOOD FRIENDS WORKS AT HOPING THAT THEY WILL EXPLAIN TO HIM THE DANGERS AND IF HE INSISTS ON BUYING A BIKE THEN TO AT LEAST TRY TO PUT HIM ON SOMETHING LIKE A SV OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT.WELL MY SON AND HIS FRIEND GO IN AND ASK FOR MY FRIEND WHICH KNOWS MY SON VERY WELL MIND YOU AND TELLS HIM HOW HE HAS NEVER RIDDEN BEFORE AND WHAT WOULD HE RECOMMEND FOR A GOOD STARTER BIKE, WELL MY FRIEND POINTS HIM IN THE DIRECTION OF THE NEW GSXR600 AND SAYS THIS WOULD BE GOOD FOR YOU OR YOU COULD EVEN GET THE NEW GSXR1000 WHICH WOULD BE FINE TO LEARN ON!!!!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!! THEY LOOK AT THE BIKES AND SAY THEY WILL BE BACK AFTER THEY TALK TO ME!!! MY FIRST REACTION TO MY SONS FRIEND IS DO YOU WANT TO DIE? NEXT THING I SAY IS I NEED TO TALK TO YOUR MOM TO LET HER KNOW WHAT'S UP. I CALLED MY FRIEND AT THE DEALER AND ASKED HIM IF HE WAS OUT OF HIS FUGGIN MIND TO TRY AND TALK A KID THAT HAS NEVER RIDDEN BEFORE TO BUY A LITERBIKE AS HIS FIRST BIKE, HIS ANSWER IS THAT IT WOULD BE FINE!! I GET ANGRY AND ASK HIM IF THE KID WAS TO BUY IT AND GET KILLED WOULD HE FEEL RESPONSIBLE AND HIS ANSWER IS NO. NICE HUH? I THEN ASK HIM IF THE SITUATION WAS REVERSED AND IT WAS HIS SON WOULD IT STILL BE OK TO SELL HIM THE BIKE, HIS ANSWER IS YES!! WTF AGAIN I SAY! SO I TOLD HIM IF IT WAS MY SON THAT BOUGHT THE BIKE AFTER YOUR RECOMMENDATION AND GOT HURT OR KILLED ON IT I WOULD COME IN THE DEALER WITH A AK47 AND MOW HIM DOWN FOR BEING IRRESPONIBLE! AM I WRONG OR SHOULD DEALERS BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS BULLSHIT? DO YOU THINK YOU SHOULD BE LIMITED TO GETTING SMALLER BIKES WHEN YOU FIRST GET YOUR LICENSE AND AS TIME PASSES AND YOU GET MORE EXPERIENCED THEN BE ALLOWED TO GET BIGGER AND FASTER BIKES? LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS THINK.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Never ridden before maybe he should start on a zx14 or a bussa, why buy a small one and just upgrade in a year or so?

Or maybe you can take the bike after he buys it take out two plugs and go....

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Hence my statement on another thread, the bike test needs to be like the UK one, you just cannot go from a pedal bike to a litre bike...NO...not even a Honda!!

·
Registered
216 Posts
FAF said:
Hence my statement on another thread, the bike test needs to be like the UK one, you just cannot go from a pedal bike to a litre bike...NO...not even a Honda!![/QUOTE

were you the one saying that on sportbikeworld?

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
FAF said:
Hence my statement on another thread, the bike test needs to be like the UK one, you just cannot go from a pedal bike to a litre bike...NO...not even a Honda!!
I agree fully, just cause you can weave in and out of offset cones and do a u-turn inside a certain yardage doesn't mean you can ride. The testing system is BS. More people would be inclined to give bikes proper respect if we didn't have the small percentage that jump on litres and wreck. I am not sure how true this is, but I heard that the majority of insurance claims for sportbikes is within 15 miles? Sounds a little low, but I have not seen all the data. I'm glad I had friends that told me to start slow!

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
mainezx10 said:
FAF said:
Hence my statement on another thread, the bike test needs to be like the UK one, you just cannot go from a pedal bike to a litre bike...NO...not even a Honda!![/QUOTE

were you the one saying that on sportbikeworld?

No , not me dude , I only post here, this is the coolest forum going

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Ghost666 , I think that is apalling that a deler would do that, greed is a killer and not only that lets just say the kid falls off but is generally okay and the bike needs repair or....whatever.....you know the more I think about this the more immoral I think the whole deal is and the more it winds me up

·
Registered
275 Posts
ghost666, here is my expirience, I am 18 years old and berly grad. from high school. I am i very carefull person and i dont like to mistreat things. My first bike was a 1995 zx-6e which was a wonderfull bike to learn on. before that one i have never operated a motorized vehicle of 2 wheels. I was thinking on buying a 2000 R1, which i didnt for the following reason. To big of a bike. (engine size) I knew that to learn on a liter bike was going to be dangerous, so i looked for something smaller and i found the zx-6e, which worked wonderful. After 2 years of riding it i bought my self a '06 zx10 which i still have. Well after a little background here is my point, with a 600 you could play a little more with the bike and it will forgive you more then a 1 liter bike would. So i would reommend not even a new bike because there unbeliveble now-a-days. I did drop the bike 1 time in a 2 year period and that was cuz of tire frost. ( it froze in the winter) But hey that's my opinion, but i went though those steps on what bike was best to learn on, and not too long ago. BTW the 1 liter bikes rock!!!! when u know how to ride them. (i'm still learning mine lol )

·
Registered
318 Posts
ghost666 said:
YESTERDAY MY SON WHICH IS 17 TELLS ME ONE OF HIS BUDDIES WANTS TO BUY A SPORTBIKE, THIS KID IS 18 YEARS OLD IS ABOUT 5'7" AND WEIGHS IN AT 135LBS.mY SON TELLS ME THAT HIS FRIEND HAS NEVER RIDDEN ANY KIND OF MOTORCYCLE IN HIS LIFE NOT A DIRTBIKE NOT ANYTHING, SO I SAY TELL HIM TO BUY A DIRTBIKE LEARN TO RIDE FOR AWHILE THEN THINK IT OVER GOOD AND HARD BECAUSE OF ALL THE DANGERS THAT ARE INVOLVED IN RIDING ON THE STREET BEFORE BUYING A STREET BIKE. OF COURSE HE REFUSES AND SAYS HE WANTS TO GO TO A LOCAL DEALER TO LOOK AT THEM, SO I DECIDE TO SEND HIM TO THE LOCAL HONDA/SUZUKI DEALER WHERE ONE OF MY GOOD FRIENDS WORKS AT HOPING THAT THEY WILL EXPLAIN TO HIM THE DANGERS AND IF HE INSISTS ON BUYING A BIKE THEN TO AT LEAST TRY TO PUT HIM ON SOMETHING LIKE A SV OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT.WELL MY SON AND HIS FRIEND GO IN AND ASK FOR MY FRIEND WHICH KNOWS MY SON VERY WELL MIND YOU AND TELLS HIM HOW HE HAS NEVER RIDDEN BEFORE AND WHAT WOULD HE RECOMMEND FOR A GOOD STARTER BIKE, WELL MY FRIEND POINTS HIM IN THE DIRECTION OF THE NEW GSXR600 AND SAYS THIS WOULD BE GOOD FOR YOU OR YOU COULD EVEN GET THE NEW GSXR1000 WHICH WOULD BE FINE TO LEARN ON!!!!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!! THEY LOOK AT THE BIKES AND SAY THEY WILL BE BACK AFTER THEY TALK TO ME!!! MY FIRST REACTION TO MY SONS FRIEND IS DO YOU WANT TO DIE? NEXT THING I SAY IS I NEED TO TALK TO YOUR MOM TO LET HER KNOW WHAT'S UP. I CALLED MY FRIEND AT THE DEALER AND ASKED HIM IF HE WAS OUT OF HIS FUGGIN MIND TO TRY AND TALK A KID THAT HAS NEVER RIDDEN BEFORE TO BUY A LITERBIKE AS HIS FIRST BIKE, HIS ANSWER IS THAT IT WOULD BE FINE!! I GET ANGRY AND ASK HIM IF THE KID WAS TO BUY IT AND GET KILLED WOULD HE FEEL RESPONSIBLE AND HIS ANSWER IS NO. NICE HUH? I THEN ASK HIM IF THE SITUATION WAS REVERSED AND IT WAS HIS SON WOULD IT STILL BE OK TO SELL HIM THE BIKE, HIS ANSWER IS YES!! WTF AGAIN I SAY! SO I TOLD HIM IF IT WAS MY SON THAT BOUGHT THE BIKE AFTER YOUR RECOMMENDATION AND GOT HURT OR KILLED ON IT I WOULD COME IN THE DEALER WITH A AK47 AND MOW HIM DOWN FOR BEING IRRESPONIBLE! AM I WRONG OR SHOULD DEALERS BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS BULLSHIT? DO YOU THINK YOU SHOULD BE LIMITED TO GETTING SMALLER BIKES WHEN YOU FIRST GET YOUR LICENSE AND AS TIME PASSES AND YOU GET MORE EXPERIENCED THEN BE ALLOWED TO GET BIGGER AND FASTER BIKES? LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS THINK.
whoa

Attachments

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Kid 17 years old bought a brand new ZX10R 06 Green with a charge card.
He lost control of it at 150+mph in S Austin and met a semi truck head on....

I wonder who sold him that?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Your friend is the typical saleman, what ever it takes to make the sale !!
Last year I was at the dealer when someone bought a new gsxr 1000
and the sales guy was showing the buyer all the controls and explainig how to take off from a stop ???? well this guy was reving and reving to about 6,000 to get rolling, lucky for him he did not drop the clutch but he went about 5-10mph with the clutch slipping then paniced and almost hit a parked car then pulled in the clutch and hit front brake while the throttle was still opened and the bike was bouncing off the rev limiter, the front wheel turned sidways and almost dumped it, the salsman and the guys girl friend were
$hiting their pants, I was shaking my head thinking this a$$hole is going to kill himself, and maybe his girl friend too.

·
Registered
696 Posts
To be fair, not all salesmen are irresponsible. My friend was picking up an 06 Gixxer 1k and the salesguy was actually asking him how long he had been riding and if he was sure he knew what he was doing. He even took me aside and asked me about him (they knew me at the dealer since I had been going there for years).

Of course, if you really are determined to buy the bike, and you have the money, then there is always going to be someone willing to sell you the bike. Other than legislation of some kind, I'm certain that will never change. Personally I might support a law that requires some kind of training or a certain amount of riding experience before purchasing one. At least for kids under the age of 21. I dunno, normally I like to keep the government out of things like this, but I can see some justification for it.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
THE ICE MAN said:
Your friend is the typical saleman, what ever it takes to make the sale !!
Last year I was at the dealer when someone bought a new gsxr 1000
and the sales guy was showing the buyer all the controls and explainig how to take off from a stop ???? well this guy was reving and reving to about 6,000 to get rolling, lucky for him he did not drop the clutch but he went about 5-10mph with the clutch slipping then paniced and almost hit a parked car then pulled in the clutch and hit front brake while the throttle was still opened and the bike was bouncing off the rev limiter, the front wheel turned sidways and almost dumped it, the salsman and the guys girl friend were
$hiting their pants, I was shaking my head thinking this a$$hole is going to kill himself, and maybe his girl friend too.
So this is the dealership that the Gixxer riders get their bikes from.

In all seriousness the kid is 18 and an adult. Do not get me wrong, I totally agree with you, but I think this guy should educate himself. Only he can be held responsible for his actions in addition I am not so sure I would give this friend of mine any more business if he is just trying to make sales.
And as for having a learner displacement limit like England, I bet the manufacturers would support this as it seems to me that it would equal more sales. I do not agree with it as I think it is too much big brother and a waste.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry about the caps lock guys just bugging out over this whole deal. I'm glad alot of you guys know where I'm coming from with this. This same dealer sold a kid a CBR1000 two years that he wound up getting killed on, same deal almost the kid came in with his dad looking for a 600rr, he had no prior experience with bikes sales guy said you should just buy the 1000 so you dont outgrow it. Kid was doing wheelies up and down his street with no helmet on came down from a wheelie too fast hit the front brakes slid off the bike head first into a parked and died on the scene. It is a sick world we livew in guys when dealers put their pockets before peoples lives, I could never personally do it myself. But that's just me.:dontknow:

·
Registered
443 Posts
well my first street bike was a 2002 6sxr600, but ive ridden dirtbikes and 4 wheelers since i was about 4 or 5, long befor i can remember anyways. I can see someone learning on a 600 but i would not buy a new one, and as for the dealer trying to sell him a 1000, thats just wrong.....

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
sonnyboy11 said:
Of course, if you really are determined to buy the bike, and you have the money, then there is always going to be someone willing to sell you the bike.
This is the main reason dealers/sales people respond with when you ask them how they feel about selling a newbie a bike fully knowing that it's too much for them to handle. Unless the government forces riders to get educated and trained before they can purchase a bile like that (like over in europe) it will continue to happen. There's no way you can go and blame the dealers and win. Kind of the same thing if I sold you a gun. If you respect it, learn it and be vary careful it's ok but if you go out and kill someone or yourself I'm not to blame. I didn't make you pull the trigger. BUT at least in the point of a gun, there's a waiting period (unless you know someone that knows someone that might have a friend).

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I agree with the idea of having to start on a smaller bike by law, but if the kid is responsible I think a 600 would be fine. If he gets the 1000 he will end up dead.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts