Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im assuming its pretty much the same thing as a PC. right?

however, i like the idea of bazzaz because you can buy an additional air/fuel meter to SELF TUNE THE MAIN BAZZAZ UNIT!

So my question is... Is such self-tunung effective? Better than dyno (since you can do it at speed with ram air, and it does it constantly)?

Can somebody with exerience chi in?

Thank you

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
the self tune is a POS...I took mine off...otherwise, the product performs well...
Did you have block off plates on yours?

Mine works great. Very happy with it. The AutoTune is nice to have.
Very consistant #'s. You know your dialed in when the suggested
changes are 1-3%. It's also nice to be able to have maps for different
weather. You would be surprised how much 30 degrees will throw
your map off.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
My auto tune gave me such rich numbers that even Bazzaz had to clean up the map.....never gave me anything that worked worth a damn and I finally took it off and plugged the hole in the mid pipe...and yes I have removed the air system....

My tuner said it was defective and I took it off and sent it to Bazzaz who bench tested it and said it was OK....

·
Registered
268 Posts
Did you have block off plates on yours?

Mine works great. Very happy with it. The AutoTune is nice to have.
Very consistant #'s. You know your dialed in when the suggested
changes are 1-3%. It's also nice to be able to have maps for different
weather. You would be surprised how much 30 degrees will throw
your map off.
:+1:

My auto tune gave me such rich numbers that even Bazzaz had to clean up the map.....never gave me anything that worked worth a damn and I finally took it off and plugged the hole in the mid pipe...and yes I have removed the air system....

My tuner said it was defective and I took it off and sent it to Bazzaz who bench tested it and said it was OK....
I'm not say there was nothing wrong with your's, But mine was doing that and I found that the wire lead coming off the o2 sensor had some kinks in it because of the way I routed it. After rerouting the lead it has been working perfectly now for over a year. :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
For whatever reason, the Bazzaz doesn't autotune below 3k. This gave me a chance to "tinker" with it. There is a realtime A/F ratio bar on the right side of the screen. I let the bike run for the 60 sec. it takes for the sensor to get passed warm up and seen about a 14.0/1 ratio. I added fuel to each cell (1000, 1500, 2000, 2500 rpm) until I was dead on 13.0/1. I even put the bike on the rear stand and applied some rear brake to simulate a load, but there was no difference.

Real simple to do and was interesting to actually see the effects of 2%, 5%, 7% etc.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
Yeah, mine was running real rich below 3K and I just didn't want to fool with programming the damn thing...the idea was to use it at the track and at the track I want to ride, not fawk with the damn laptop plugged into it....

·
Registered
1,688 Posts

Just a thought, but when "I" originally tried to use the autotune, I screwed up and didn't click "clear" before I started the program. Pulled out of the driveway and as soon as it hit 3k (where the changed map started) I knew something was wrong. Turned around, back to the garage and seen the way rich #'s. When I started to run the self mapping again, I realized that I did not clear the old suggestions before the previous run.

Works perfectly now.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
do you guys think it will get the a/f on point? better than a dyno map?

I really want to get one

·
Registered
265 Posts
I imagine they're pretty similar. I bought my bike w/ the bazzaz unit already installed. The previous owner ran the auto-tune set up.. I have a toggle switch so I can switch between two seperate maps, on-the-fly. I'm going to have 2 custom maps made sometime this winter.. I'm gonna have one map designed for cooler weather w/ less humidity, then one for the opposite! I'd recommend this if you have a little cash to spend. :badteeth:

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
whats the point of the autotune if you gona have maps made? the idea is not to go to the dyno for maps

·
Registered
265 Posts
whats the point of the autotune if you gona have maps made? the idea is not to go to the dyno for maps

The point of Autotune is to be able to run your fuel controller w/out having to go straight to the dyno. Know what I mean? Autotune is for the people who may not necessarily care to, or have the money to put the bike on a dyno. I have talked w/ the people at Bazzaz and they themselves suggest eventually having custom maps made.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The point of Autotune is to be able to run your fuel controller w/out having to go straight to the dyno. Know what I mean? Autotune is for the people who may not necessarily care to, or have the money to put the bike on a dyno. I have talked w/ the people at Bazzaz and they themselves suggest eventually having custom maps made.
so my question is as follows:

Does autotune perform the same function as a dyno? (i.e. gets it tuned) Or is it not as good as a dyno? if so, why not?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts