Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a 76lbd Male Golden retreiver, a 48lb Female Pit puppy, and a male 1.5 yr old 98lb Pit/Boxer mix.

I've been feeding them Nutro Max Large Breed. Its supposed to be healthy and what not. Only thing Ive noticed that i'm not too crazy is that, their poop is not always firm. It feels on the soft side and sometimes gets stuck on like the grass when I clean up after them and OMG does it smell horrid. I know its supposed to smell but holy cow does it smell.

I've been feeding:

The golden : 2 cups each serving / twice a day

The female pit: 2 cups each serving / twice a day

The monster of a dog: 4 cups a serving / twice a day.

The 2 pits are on the skinny side. I got them over 2 months ago from a local shelter and we all know how that goes. Ive been wanting to bulk them up but after 2 months..the female pit actually lost 3 pounds and although her coat improved alot, i still cant get her to bulk up. The big pit..his coat is improving little by little but hes a huge dog, and still looks skinny. Hes supposed to be around 110lbs to be at a healthy weight for a dog his sz.

Ive been thinking about switching over to something else. A friend of mine who's got 3 blue nose pits said he's had nothing but good results with Eukanuba ?

Anyone care to chime in with some advice? Thanks ! :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
197 Posts
I would say feed the ones that are skinny a little more then the other one. But one thing to remember is to try not to switch their dog food, it messes with there stomach. Other then that, i would have them checked for worms. if they are eating allot of grass then they have worms most likely. you can feed and feed a dog and if they are worms they will not gain weight at all. also a multivitamin will help them also. hopes this helps out, i have 3 dogs myself, there almost like kids sometimes. good luck man

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have five rescues (my hurricane Katrina rescue alone is 165 lbs) and ideally I prefer Wysong (best food imo, the 40 lbs box even comes in five 8 lbs foil sealed bags) but since I go through almost 200 lbs. a month I go to Costco.

The quality and price of their food is actually very good. I don't know if you have Costco's where you live though.... They get 80% kibble and 20% wet mixed in with it. I can just split a can between all of their bowls before feeding and they really love it.

Amount wise it sounds like you are under feeding a bit but I guess it depend on how much excercise etc that they get too.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Oh sorry, Eukanuba is a high price/protein diet that is good if you have VERY active excercised dogs. It was developed for/by sled dog folks for the Itidarod I think....

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
my dog had the same issues when she was a pup.did some searching around and found a brand called "royal canine".when we put her on that diet her coat got unbelievably shiny,she has more energy,her stool firmed up and she loves it on top of everything.the food is breed specific and I believe is the best stuff around.We only give our baby the best so if you find something better let me know. Good luck

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I feed my mastiff pup Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food, its the best stuff PetsMart carries and he's been on it since I got him at 6 weeks, he's 5 months now and already 80lbs. The stuff costs a bit more, $45 for 30lbs, but its really good all natural food.

The website is here; Blue Buffalo

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
my dog had the same issues when she was a pup.did some searching around and found a brand called "royal canine".when we put her on that diet her coat got unbelievably shiny,she has more energy,her stool firmed up and she loves it on top of everything.the food is breed specific and I believe is the best stuff around.We only give our baby the best so if you find something better let me know. Good luck
We mix that royal canin with pro plan salmon and rice. We raise Dachsund's and after years of trying different foods, the pro plan salmon has been the best we've found. The royal canin makes a dachsund mix for joints... it's expensive, but can you put a value on their nutrition? We don't.

·
Gun Owning Republican
5,278 Posts
I have a 1 year old 101lb female Akita and all she eats is what we eat...She refuses dog food but eats like queen...I wish this were not the case but my wife ruined her by feeding her human food...She's a moma's girl. I don't mind really...Last night she had pork chops, rice, and a half of a chick focia sandwich. The day before was her favorite spaghetti. My old Akita who passed away last year ate anything and everything.

·
Mythical Mod of Yore
4,465 Posts
We've fed our dogs (2 siberian huskies and a retriever/border collie mutt) a variety of things and had good luck with Nutro. They also eat a lot of people food...and rugs...and couches...and running shoes...

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
my lab gets two cups of food in the morning and at night...he weighs 105 lbs and is 2 years old...vet said he is perfectly healthy...his dad weight 150 lbs...i feed him purina i think anyways, lol...he gets no people food also

·
Registered
392 Posts
II worked for a vet for years and wanted to be one at one time. The Vet I worked for said the most important thing with food is to make sure the first ingredient listed on the back is the meat. If you are buying say a chicken and rice the first ingredient in the list needs to be chicken (not chicken meal). They all said that ingredients on dog food are listed in order of how much is in the food. If you buy one with say wheat or corn as the first then your dog will eat and poop more as it is more filler than substance. That is the main reason foods have such a big difference in prices. The ones with more meat will always cost more. They key is to follow the feeding direction on the back for the better food as your dog should eat less when you feed them the better stuff. I have a 150 pound Rottweiler. He eats Iams® ProActive Health™ Large Breed.
http://us.iams.com/iams/en_US/jsp/IAMS_Page.jsp?pageID=PL&productID=99
2 cups in the morning and 2 at night. I hope this helps. :thumbsup:

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
Oh sorry, Eukanuba is a high price/protein diet that is good if you have VERY active excercised dogs. It was developed for/by sled dog folks for the Itidarod I think....
Thats good to know, my chocolate Lab is been on that for awhile. He's wildly active.

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
I've always heard the corn filler is the worst stuff. Science Diet uses that as their primary ingredient. Not good... causes gas and stomach problems. I'm all about the quality. My wife and I buy frozen, uncooked chicken breast and crock pot it with rice and no seasoning. The dogs LOVE that shit and it's good for them too. Try that if you want to give your dog something special. You'll get extra wags for that action I guarantee!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts