Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

6181 - 6200 of 6207 Posts

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
1,008 Posts
Bummer, at least with the gen 5 and the rear sets I have it's not an issue. Oh, yeah I got my bike back, the carbon was a bit trashed and the dip shit who stole my baby painted the exhaust black while still on the bike. But the tow company fucked it up more than anything. Here is what she looked like right before being taken from me. I'll leave out the after. But I am working or buying my way back to perfection lol
I thought she was looking sexy, as is obvious from the tone of my voice lol

·
Registered
2012 (Gen4) ZX-10R
828 Posts
Wow, glad you got her back! Sorry for the damage you need to fix. Yeah the tow companies really don’t give a shit do they? I guess they think, f’ it, it’s and insurance claim. But that’s not necessarily the bloody case is it?

PS. Do you really like carbon?(y)

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
1,008 Posts
Wow, glad you got her back! Sorry for the damage you need to fix. Yeah the tow companies really don’t give a shit do they? I guess they think, f’ it, it’s and insurance claim. But that’s not necessarily the bloody case is it?

PS. Do you really like carbon?(y)
Yeah it looks fucking sick when the sun hits it and I figure. This bike I had the money so just do it up...

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
1,008 Posts
So I got ahold of an oem rear cowel..went ahead and skinned it which is totally not my get down, usually would make a mold and go from there but I have too much other shit to fix first...anyhow, got 2 layers of 2x2 twill laid down and a few coats of epoxy and then thought the dumb ass thought, hey let's hit this fucker with some pearl. Attempted to mix up a slightly green pearl mix in my clear. Looked right while in suspension sprayed it on a few coats thick and then top coated it. Fml. Guess who gets to sand that shit back down and re clear coat it when I get back from Vegas. Me that's who ..it came out fucking blue...and to top it off, I changed the rear side fairing to the carbon one. But spaced on routing the cable in the guide so the stupid thing just moved when I turn the key and won't release the seat...I'm leaving that shit for when I get back, drilling a hole in my bike is the last thing I want to do right now

I'm actually tempted to just pearl the whole fucking cha cha and make it all match but don't think I am ok with that color even kinda enough and having to refinish and polish out that much carbon is not my idea of a good time ever...I do like the pearl carbon look but not that damn color

·
Registered
2012 (Gen4) ZX-10R
828 Posts
It almost looks like when the epoxy top-coat separates from the carbon. It definitely just looks liKe a strange milky blue. The super shiny clear coat is much nicer.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Glad you got the bike back.

Got my flashed ecu back yesterday. Hope to take it out for a rip after work today or this weekend.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Didn't do much today but take a short spin around the block and topped off with 87 Octane. (Just kidding. Seeing who reads these things). I have my front sprocket (16T) pending install along with stock rear sprocket and RK 525 Chain. Debating a Penta-carbon full exhaust. I really like the looks of the OEM 10R/RR exhaust muffler. I just wish it were more a straight through muffler and I think it would sound perfect for me. Not too loud, and 3x louder than stock. Currently, I have the cat deleted with an intermediate pipe and it sounds good. Almost twice as loud as stock. But it could sound better (louder). I get my new laptop tomorrow so I am excited to get back on Woolich Racing and tweak my settings. That's all folks!!

·
Registered
2012 (Gen4) ZX-10R
828 Posts
Nothing wrong with 87.
:censored:

But I agree on the ethanol front. I found my ”local” gas station that does 0 ethanol gas, it’s a 89mlie ride back home again. I’m not overly sure it’ll work well for filling up! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
1,008 Posts
It almost looks like when the epoxy top-coat separates from the carbon. It definitely just looks liKe a strange milky blue. The super shiny clear coat is much nicer.
That's the light, it's hard to capture it for sure. I went heavy with the pearl cause if it being over the carbon. In the day time it looks chill from certain angles but from other angles it looks like you said. Gonna refinish it for sure

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
:censored:

But I agree on the ethanol front. I found my ”local” gas station that does 0 ethanol gas, it’s a 89mlie ride back home again. I’m not overly sure it’ll work well for filling up! :rolleyes:
Lol I have a similar problem, nearest ethanol free station isn't that far but its far enough to where I say fuck it lol.

Which brings up a question,

as long as the ethanol gas isn't sitting in the tank for extended amounts of time, no problem right?

·
Registered
2012 (Gen4) ZX-10R
828 Posts
as long as the ethanol gas isn't sitting in the tank for extended amounts of time, no problem right?
In the old days the ethanol attacked the plastic/rubber parts in the carbs etc. But these days I think the manufacturers account for it. In fact the Kwai manual states some max % ethanol I think.

Ethanol in the gas attracts water out the atmosphere. So long term can cause corrosion in the tank etc if they are not sealed. When storing over winter either drain the gas out (who has time for that?) or fill the tank right up. With the tank full there is less air in the tank and hence less moisture which can condense and enter the gas.

Some folks swear by adding fuel stabilizers too. But regardless I’d fill the tank if concerned.

Rob

·
Registered
612 Posts
I left California pump gas in a lawn mover for about 30 days.

It sputtered and ran very badly. Flushed it all out and cleaned the carb, I only use Sunoco Optima and 260GTX now and have never had an issue since.

I run that same gas in my street bike or VP C9.

·
Registered
2012 (Gen4) ZX-10R
828 Posts
And then I’ve left my bike parked up for 6 months with 1/2 a tank of gas in it. Fired right up with no issues what so ever. Go figure. 🤪

I have no clue... 🤷

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I understand now. I was mainly wondering why mte78 was staying away from ethanol gas. In his case, I would stay away from it too, 30 days isn't a long time in my book. hell my bike has been sitting for at least 30 right now and it fired right up earlier this week. I will be taking her out for a shakedown this weekend though.

6181 - 6200 of 6207 Posts