Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have swirl scratches all over my BLACK zx-10r. I thought plexus or ICE turtle wax would help a bit, I have tried them.

Can anyone suggest a compound I could get at like auto zone that would work good on tank + plastics these little swirl scratches have me depressed :dontknow:

Its a black bike so I am always seeing them :sad:

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
the clay bar will do nothing for swirl marks or fine scratches, the only thing other than trying to buff it all out is get some black wax turtle wax I think makes a new one called black box for black vehicles and it works pretty good... and it will hide most of those scratches and swirls...

·
GEN II Driver
2,894 Posts
^^^really? i had pretty good success with clay bar getting my swirl marks out. takes a bit tho...

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I have three black cars (BMW, SUV and S2000) and my 10 (previously had the Black R^ and Black Ducati) as well as 10 other black vehicles in the past 10 years and have found that the Clay bar followed up with The new Turtle Wax Black Box works awesome , use a buffer and microfiber cloths to wipe it - black sucks for detailing but nothing looks better when done.

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,560 Posts
I use the Mcgwires clay bar it helped but didint remove them...

Im gonna check out this Black box stuff for sure..

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
lyodbraun is correct about the clay bars. They "clean" the paint, not polish it. Which is what you need to do to get rid of swirl marks. And that's why plexus and turtle wax(crap) didn't help. They are cleaner/waxes that don't do a great job of either one. You need to get some actual polish or swirl remover. Some people call it rubbing compound.

Like with any detailing job, I recommend pinnacle, wolfgang, or menzerna but there are cheaper, easier to use alternatives that also do a pretty good job. If you have somewhere near you that sells 3M automotive stuff they have some good stuff or meguiars makes some good stuff also and you can probably find it in autozone, walmart, etc. Depending on the severity of the swirls, try some of their mirror glaze #9 or #205. The smaller number is for more severe swirl marks. They also have a product called "ultimate compound" that I haven't tried but I've heard good things about.

If you really want the swirl marks gone instead of just temporarily covering them up with colored wax it will take some time and patience. But you'll love the results when you're done. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
lyodbraun is correct about the clay bars. They "clean" the paint, not polish it. Which is what you need to do to get rid of swirl marks. And that's why plexus and turtle wax(crap) didn't help. They are cleaner/waxes that don't do a great job of either one. You need to get some actual polish or swirl remover. Some people call it rubbing compound.

Like with any detailing job, i recommend pinnacle, wolfgang, or menzerna but there are cheaper, easier to use alternatives that also do a pretty good job. If you have somewhere near you that sells 3m automotive stuff they have some good stuff or meguiars makes some good stuff also and you can probably find it in autozone, walmart, etc. Depending on the severity of the swirls, try some of their mirror glaze #9 or #205. The smaller number is for more severe swirl marks. They also have a product called "ultimate compound" that i haven't tried but i've heard good things about.

If you really want the swirl marks gone instead of just temporarily covering them up with colored wax it will take some time and patience. But you'll love the results when you're done. :thumbsup:

:+1:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts