Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my 05 ZX6R is having major cooling issues which I'm in the middle of resolving. Break down of problems. Overheat; it's died on the highway a couple times and flashed 118 C/245F and the radiator fan doesn't come on at all. Bike also overheats on while moving.

I just finished draining the coolant and is was red/brown. I let the bike reach 90C before draining. First draining location I tried was the 8mm bolt on the water pump and almost nothing came out. I then just started, one at a time, hoses from lowest positions.

I'm changing the temperature sensor and thermostat. I'm also going to do a visual inspection of the water pump. Also going to check fuses and make sure the fan works.

Going back to the original question is there anything else that can rust? I'm pretty sure I don't have a coolant leak anywhere and the exhaust is normal, no white smoke and the last time I rode the bike was at the strip and the motor was super strong like always.

·
Registered
578 Posts
did you put dexcool or orange coolant in it previously? it will turn brown when esposed to an air leak in the system. (like a headgasket leak, weaping waterpump seal ect....)

ski

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
The thermostat itself will rust over time. Sounds like thermostat is shot and stuck closed.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Run a cooling system cleaner through the motor with just distilled water. It will remove all traces of rust and scaling. You need to do that before putting fresh coolant in. Can be done with a new thermostat but it may clog up if your system is really bad. And flush it out multiple times to remove all cleaner and rust.

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So this is what I've done so far;

Coolant drain(duh)
Water temperature sensor replaced(new)
Thermostat(new)

check to see if the radiator fan works by attaching it to battery(works)
checked fan relay to see if it is proper(seems good not 100% sure)

After the first drain the water came out as clear as it went in, I used distilled water plus a chemical I use at water caused acidic acid, it's like vinegar on steroids(don't drink it) it's 56% instead of w/e vinegar is like 5 or 6. Flushing it again with that formula. Then going to be flushing twice again with just distilled then filling with distilled and water wetter.

My temperature readout still jumps degrees so I'm not sure what the issue is, don't know if it's the cluster or ecu or something else. Rad fan comes on at 104 C/219 F and come on regularly like it should. The only weird thing is when the fan is running and I hit the kill switch the fan dies instead of staying on like it should like the 10R. What could cause that? Bike should be good to run at the track next week.

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also when draining the 05 6R I have to disconnect every hose pretty much to get all of the fluid out. The 2 drain plugs on the block and water pump maybe only get 50% of the crap out. Is that normal? It seems on my 10R I get WAY more out than that.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Cat clogged? That can cause heat issues. When I drain my coolant I just unplug the lower hose that comes out below the clutch and shopvac it all out. Fill the system with water and cleaner. Let the bike run for a lil. Shopvac it through 2 vac cycles. Then vac cycle water in it about 2 more times. Then fill it with new coolant. Personal fav is engine ice. I used that shit all winter and still using it now.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I doubt the cat would be clogged as the bike is as strong as when I got it. It also runs in the ballpark it should at the drag strip and is smooth as hell. Engine, ecu, map, exhaust all stock. I know someone who had a ecu issue with an05 or 06 forget which one and it apparently had to do with the undertail exhaust cooking the ecu but I don't know.

·
Registered
189 Posts
My R1 had a electrolysis problem with the radiator and caused 3pin holes in the radiator. Which would cause the temp to jump in in like 5degree increments. Sitting at a stop light would over heat. but riding would run at 190F.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Oh hey man, my fan has always shut off soon as I kill the bike(key off). It never stays running like on my last Kawi(non 10R). If I click the key to first click fan will come back on. Been this way since day 1.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
^ same here, key off = fan off. If I need it to run, I just hit my fan switch. Before I had that, I just flipped the key back on.

·
Registered
232 Posts
thats normal
if you have a manual go through the check list of possibles for overheating issues
you could ask 50 guys on here for a reason and get 50 different replies.
wouldn't think anything in the kawi being of any type of ferrous metal that could rust engine is ally, rad is ally, shafts and bolts SS cept maybe the sleeves in the cylinders.
coolant goes red/brown when old.but usualy 40'000KLM or more.
just as an eG:
i bought a 04 ZX6 for a track bike it ride ok but run hot. the previous owner come dumb ass didn't check coolant bottle just oils and fuel.
i got home and started looking around and found the coolant bottle empty and the coolant level in the actual motor was low dew to it sucking air into the system because there was no coolant to drew into the engine when required.
so after i refilled the bottle it sounded like someone smoking a bong the engine got hot exspelled the air in the system and when it cooled down it sucked the fresh coolant into the engine. after 2 proper runs it was right engine was full again and after a second topup its been perfect ever since.
yours may have any number of problems from a leak to a head gasket or a ecu brain fart.
use the manual first and a mechanic last

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just changed out the water pump on my 05 Concours and was surprised to see the reddish/brown sediment in my overflow tank. I used honda coolant changed less than three years earlier.

I flushed it out with the garden hose and then ran three cycles of distilled water for a few minutes each until it came out clean. I was not having cooling problems but oil was leaking from the seep hole in the pump. I have owned many watercooled bikes and never seen this while changing it out every two to three years.

I changed the GEN 1 over the winter and it was perfectly clean. I've gone back with my own mix of Prestone and distilled water.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Put some clorox bleach in the cooling system and it will begin to break everything down in there

1 - 18 of 18 Posts