Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, a few weeks ago I trade in my 07 Ninja 650r for a 2009 ZX-10R. It's the first time I've ever rode a liter bike and I'm still taking the time to get used to it, since there is a major power difference between these two bikes.
It has a 13k redline but I've been a little hesitant to get it past 8k because of the brute acceleration this thing has!

My question is: What can I expect the the bike to do in the upper range of it's power band? Will the front end come up by shifting it at redline? I'd much rather find out before finding out the HARD way!

·
Registered
153 Posts
It will feel mental fast at first but you'll get used to it. Just ease into it so you don't panic and you'll be fine. A lot more power still to be delivered above 8k. Front will only come up if you're careless or mean it to. Enjoy it but like I said ease into it, you'll love it in no time.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Stock 09? The front will come up in 1st and maybe 2nd, not sure about that gen. My gen 4 lifts up in the first 3 gears but I had it moded, tuned and re-geared. You will eventually get use to it.

·
Registered
707 Posts
You're not going to unexpectedly flip over if that's what you're asking.

Have you ever done a full throttle, clutch-less shifting acceleration run on your old bike? If so, just do the exact same thing on your 10r. Everything will just happen faster.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Take it to the race track and learn to ride it.
Umm...I don't think that would be a good idea. Wouldn't that be the same as asking somebody that is used to driving a honda civic to hop in a top fuel funny car and take it down the track full throttle?

I think I'll gradually get to know the bike first and slowly allow myself to get use to the increased power before I do something ignorant, like take it down a race track...

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Umm...I don't think that would be a good idea. Wouldn't that be the same as asking somebody that is used to driving a honda civic to hop in a top fuel funny car and take it down the track full throttle?

I think I'll gradually get to know the bike first and slowly allow myself to get use to the increased power before I do something ignorant, like take it down a race track...

No, your ignorance is in not being open to a proper suggestion that will make you a better rider in any and all conditions and environments. There is absolutely nothing you can do that would benefit your own skill set and riding proficiency level more than taking a Novice School at a Trackday not to mention the familiarity you will gain with the bike. You will learn more in one day on the track in a proper school environment for new riders than you will learn in 10 years of street riding and that is not hyperbole.

Then again what do I know I have only been getting new riders up to speed for 20 years. :lol:

·
Registered
220 Posts

The race track is the safest place to learn the bike. There are instructors there to help improve your riding technique and coach you to be a better rider. Not to mention if something goes wrong or you make a mistake, there are people trained and ready to help you should you need it (medical, or otherwise). If you make a mistake on the road you have to wait precious minutes for help.

It really is not an ignorant piece of advice, but one that will let you get comfortable much more efficiently and safely than the street will. Now if you want to push your limits or find the limits of the machine you can certainly try that on the track aswell.

My first time on the track on my zx10r i got wasted by a 17 year old girl on a 250 ninja, despite having 130 more hp than her. :frown::dontknow:

·
Registered
615 Posts
No, your ignorance is in not being open to a proper suggestion that will make you a better rider in any and all conditions and environments. There is absolutely nothing you can do that would benefit your own skill set and riding proficiency level more than taking a Novice School at a Trackday not to mention the familiarity you will gain with the bike. You will learn more in one day on the track in a proper school environment for new riders than you will learn in 10 years of street riding and that is not hyperbole.

Then again what do I know I have only been getting new riders up to speed for 20 years. :lol:

Where at and how much for the class?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The race track is the safest place to learn the bike. There are instructors there to help improve your riding technique and coach you to be a better rider. Not to mention if something goes wrong or you make a mistake, there are people trained and ready to help you should you need it (medical, or otherwise). If you make a mistake on the road you have to wait precious minutes for help.

It really is not an ignorant piece of advice, but one that will let you get comfortable much more efficiently and safely than the street will. Now if you want to push your limits or find the limits of the machine you can certainly try that on the track aswell.

My first time on the track on my zx10r i got wasted by a 17 year old girl on a 250 ninja, despite having 130 more hp than her. :frown::dontknow:
You said "take it to the track", which to me, meant a local Friday night drag strip. You didn't say anything about a riding class or school. It sounded like you meant take it to the track and open her up and see what happens....

Remember, I said I had a 650 ninja just a couple weeks ago. It's a big step up for a lot of people, but probably not for you. You were probably born riding a motorcycle. :kneel:

·
Registered
220 Posts
You said "take it to the track", which to me, meant a local Friday night drag strip. You didn't say anything about a riding class or school. It sounded like you meant take it to the track and open her up and see what happens....

Remember, I said I had a 650 ninja just a couple weeks ago. It's a big step up for a lot of people, but probably not for you. You were probably born riding a motorcycle. :kneel:
Actually i bought an 04 Zx-10r for my first bike and almost killed myself 7 days later because of survival reactions during a panic situation (being cut off by a truck going around a curve at 60mph)

And going from a 650R to a 10r is a big step up for anyone. A close to 100hp increase in power. My goal is not to make you feel inadequate of unskilled but to save you time, money and pain of learning the hard, stupid way like some of the rest of us were hell bent on doing when we had more balls than brains.:flag:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts