Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to buy a new chain but don't know what brand to buy.Im the guy who posted chain adjustment how often.Well after having a nasty scare on my bike the other day,my chain walked off both sprockets just as I was hitting the throttle onto a highway.I was told that I was lucky and I know it,I was able to coast onto the shoulder safely.With that being said I don't feel that Im getting the right adjustment so Im thinking that the chain should be replaced.When I adjust it at the tightest spot on the chain it seems that there is way too much slack at the other end.The bike is brand new a 2008 left over,I only have 1800 miles on it and had it serviced at 1100 miles at the dealer.I dropped the oil and filter and adjusted the chain at 600 milesAm I doing something wrong?.Im new to these kind of bikes but don't want to be running back to the dealer for every little thing.Im going to invest in a repair manual.Any and all input would be appreciated. (I bring the chain around to the tightest spot to adjust it,I adjust it to 1.5" and I spin the tire to check it,at the loose end it just seems like there is too much slack,I mean like inches of slack.)

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
D.I.D. or RK is your best choice for chains.

I seriously doubt you need a chain.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean.

"When you adjust it to the tightest spot, there is way too much slack at the other end?" I don't understand what you are saying.

·
Registered
860 Posts
To answer your first question I would suggest EK chains either the mvxz or the zzz line. You should also replace both of your sprockets at the same time as they all wear together. Your old sprockets will wear out the new chain faster. You really shouldnt be needing a chain this soon. The easiest way to see if you need a new chain is to grab it on the backside of the rear sprocket and try to pull it off. If you're getting a lot of slack there then it is probably time. Are you sure you are adjusting each side equally? How far back is the axle right now? How hard have you ridden the bike as a new chain does stretch a little bit at the beginning?

·
Registered
844 Posts
it sounds like it was'nt adjusted and tightened right.if the chain came off the sprockets it sounds like your wheel is loose and slipped when you hammered the throttle.

·
Registered
609 Posts
DID, EK, RK all make good chains, but I doubt you really need to replace the chain and sprockets yet. I would assume the life has been significantly shorten due to very bad adjustment.

After the chain came off, was everything (axle, adjusters etc) good and tight? I'm wondering if things were not tightened properly and that allowed the chain to loosen. Even a worn out chain would not generate that much slack in only a few hundred miles. Clearly it was not adjusted correctly and / or not tightened.

You can download the service manual in the performance section. It will give you specs to verify chain condition.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
If you adjusted the chain at 600 miles and the dealer did service at 1100 i'd maybe go back and ask the dealer what all they did. maybe check the torque on the rear axle nut and adjusters etc. You can follow the directions in the owners manual to adjust your chain the correct way, you shouldn't be having problems with the chain coming off if done right! If it's really bothering you though I'd hit up sportbiketrackgear for either a EK or Driven chain/sprocket kit so you know it's all new and ready to ride safely. link is below!!!

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Categories.bok?category=*KAWASAKI*%3A08-09+ZX10R%3Achain+and+sprockets

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
EK
RK
DID

I also doubt you need a new chain. You should be able to get the manual you need from this forum for free...somewhere? Someone should chime in I am guessing.

·
Registered
471 Posts
JUST LIKE WHATS BEEN SAID:
EK
RK
DID

RK has a sick green link chain

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
DID Ervo III ....... Clean the chain well before install and keep it lightly lubricated with WD40... Some people feel that WD will harm the O rings but it don't. NOW LISTEN CAREFULLY... This method of chain maintenance is only for those who stay on top of their bike maintenance.. If you neglect regular preventative maintenance than some sort of chain lube is best.. I have used the WD method for many year on many chains and have never had a chain failure in the way of wear or O ring related failure... AND my rear wheel spins free like a 10 speed Bike.. Lesson to be taught here.... If it don't roll free on it's on ----------> It won't run fast under power....

·
Registered
844 Posts
i don't recommend WD-40 because it cuts grease(chain lub) and allows rust.maybe good for cleaning but i would'nt use it a lub-just my personal opinion.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
i don't recommend WD-40 because it cuts grease(chain lub) and allows rust.maybe good for cleaning but i would'nt use it a lub-just my personal opinion.

After 5 years of use and nothing BUT WD40 and REGULAR maintenance NOT A SPEC of rust and like I said rolls like a 10 Speed ------> Runs like a ROCKET..

Keep in mind this chain is 5 years old nearly.... At the end of it's life and still in perfect shape... AGAIN I STRESS ----------> If you rag your shit and don't take proper care use some sort of HEAVY GLUE TYPE CHAIN LUBE... It will slow you down and attract GRIT AND GRIME that are the real killers for your chain and sprockets...

Opinions vary but the myth about WD not working in this situation has been busted many times and long ago.. If I MANUFACTURED AND SOLD CHAIN LUBE i WOULD PROBABLY TELL EVERYONE DIFFERENT..

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
You do know that you check the slack in the middle and not the ends? There should be about an 1.5" slack to it.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Well personally cant recommend the DID ERVIII, have had one break before and now my 10R is beating the hell out of it, and i do maintenance after every ride with chain clean and Lube....anyways i have had good luck with their MXZ something or other in 520.

otherwise Rk is solid as well as Ek, which i am now running on my 636.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Well personally cant recommend the DID ERVIII,

Any chain can break if it's not properly adjusted... I've seen too tightly adjusted chains breal as well as too loosely adjusted ones.. Also depends on how you treat your equipment... Constantly clutching up wheelies / Drag Race starts.....etc ALL have influence on chain life...... Again I changed the chain on my 10R to the chain pictured 10,000 miles ago when it was brand new. I don't use a 520 chain for the very reason that those do run a high risk of breaking for a minimum amount of gain...

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
You do know that you check the slack in the middle and not the ends? There should be about an 1.5" slack to it.
:+1:THank you for putting that out there! The other method was confusing the hell out of some other people.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
:+1:THank you for putting that out there! The other method was confusing the hell out of some other people.:thumbsup:
I just went over this in the OP's other thread... :dontknow:

·
Registered
844 Posts
After 5 years of use and nothing BUT WD40 and REGULAR maintenance NOT A SPEC of rust and like I said rolls like a 10 Speed ------> Runs like a ROCKET..

Keep in mind this chain is 5 years old nearly.... At the end of it's life and still in perfect shape... AGAIN I STRESS ----------> If you rag your shit and don't take proper care use some sort of HEAVY GLUE TYPE CHAIN LUBE... It will slow you down and attract GRIT AND GRIME that are the real killers for your chain and sprockets...

Opinions vary but the myth about WD not working in this situation has been busted many times and long ago.. If I MANUFACTURED AND SOLD CHAIN LUBE i WOULD PROBABLY TELL EVERYONE DIFFERENT..
just because it's 5 years old does'nt mean it has many miles-big difference.how many miles are on that 5 year old chain ?i spend about an hour cleaning and lubbing mine and NEVER got 5 years.i don't use CHAIN LUB as we know it.and i don't sell or manufacture lub lol.

·
Registered
609 Posts
WD40 is not a lubricant. It does a pretty good job cleaning. Kerosene is better IMO.

A sticky lube can do more harm than good as it will attract gunk and reqiure frequent cleaning. O-ring and X-ring chains don't need a lot of lube, but should be lubed at least after each cleaning. A good lube will "dry". Best to lube after a ride when the chain is hot and let sit until dry. Spray the inside of the chain.

I try to lube every 500 or less. I figure you can't lube too much.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
just because it's 5 years old does'nt mean it has many miles-big difference.how many miles are on that 5 year old chain ?i spend about an hour cleaning and lubbing mine and NEVER got 5 years.i don't use CHAIN LUB as we know it.and i don't sell or manufacture lub lol.

5 years old and 10,000 miles.. Put the chain on within a week after I got the 10R... Regear and chain is always first mod..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts