Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i did a search and to my surprise there wasn't already a thread on this. for those of you who don't know me, i'm on an 04 10r and just upgraded the brakes to nissin calipers, ss lines and zx-14 master. ( A MUST DO, IF YOU DIDN'T DO THIS YET) just curious since this is a such a common upgrade among people on this forum, what brake fluid are you running? also how do you like it and with this set up can you run dot 5.1/any real advantages if you can?

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
i did a search and to my surprise there wasn't already a thread on this. for those of you who don't know me, i'm on an 04 10r and just upgraded the brakes to nissin calipers, ss lines and zx-14 master. ( A MUST DO, IF YOU DIDN'T DO THIS YET) just curious since this is a such a common upgrade among people on this forum, what brake fluid are you running? also how do you like it and with this set up can you run dot 5.1/any real advantages if you can?
Dot4 will work fine its what manual recommends but Dot5 will also work even better . Depends on your needs. Id do the Dot5 since you have ZX14 Master and any brand will do just fine ... Get it from the stealership or your favorite online store

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dot 5 with silicon your reccomending or 5.1? i've read that dot5 requires a full cleanse of the system where as 5.1 can be mixed?

·
Registered
114 Posts
06 ZX10R with the Nissin ZX14 calipers, Brembo 19RCS Master Cyl, Speigler SS Lines, and Im using Motul RBF 600 Brake Fluid, My lever moves about an 1/8" and its hard as a rock! Best mod Ive done.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmmmm ok! can you guys point me in the right direction as to how to fully cleanse my system then because i currently have dot 4 in it

·
Registered
60 Posts
so like i just discovered this and i just happen to be doing my brakes tonight. basically i'm figuring to flush the dot4 and put in dot 5 i'll fix up the bleeders on the bottom with a bit of fuel tubing, open em up and just start pumping away until i've filled the reservoir a few times with dot 5. should be good 'nuff. i bought two bottles of that stuff so the first bottle will be used to flush, and then i'll fill and vent with the second bottle. *shrugs* its just brake fluid. I bought the only two bottles of the off brand dot5 at kragen today too.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i hope other people chime in here because that would be fine if you were using dot 5.1. however, dot 5 is silicone based and when mixed with a dot 4 or any other fluid makes it a gel like substance and that is very bad lol. i believe you are supposed to put brake cleaner in and then blow the lines out with air. i'm not entirely sure how clean out the calipers and master though. hence my question lol. calipers may need to be split and have the pistons pop out to get a thorough cleaning, honestly at this point on speaking out of my arse lol so help from the gurus would be nice

·
Registered
114 Posts
The motul RBF 600 im running is dot 4, and like I said my lever is rock hard. Most riders are blown away when they feel how firm my brake lever is. So if your going to use the same fluid just flush them out with the new brake fluid, if your going to use the dot 5 then I would get some non corrosive brake parts cleaner and after disassembling everything including taking out the pistons and the o rings in the calipers spray them out real well and blow dry with compressed air, do this with the lines and master cyl as well.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
The motul RBF 600 im running is dot 4, and like I said my lever is rock hard. Most riders are blown away when they feel how firm my brake lever is. So if your going to use the same fluid just flush them out with the new brake fluid, if your going to use the dot 5 then I would get some non corrosive brake parts cleaner and after disassembling everything including taking out the pistons and the o rings in the calipers spray them out real well and blow dry with compressed air, do this with the lines and master cyl as well.
Sorry to the OP as this is off topic but..

Did you do all your brakes at once? I have the exact same setup other then I have Alth rotors and I was never fully happy until I got the Brembo RCS, that thing really makes a heck of a difference!! Just curious what your findings were

To the OP, I used some blue dot 5 stuff RDLYN13000 had a lot of, it seems to work good and didnt require the flush youre referring to. Not sure youd tell the difference of dot 4 to dot 5 unless youre a racer and really getting that fluid boiling!! You may be readiing a bit too into this

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
dot 5 with silicon your reccomending or 5.1? i've read that dot5 requires a full cleanse of the system where as 5.1 can be mixed?
You are correct on the 5.1 but if they are ZX14 calipers and lines it already had 5 in it didn't it? I am not 100% on the ZX14 OEM fluid .. I'll look into it .. BRB

·
Late Apex
803 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
so in doing the brakes, one slight issue i've come across is that brake fluid gets everywhere, and by everywhere i mean all over the place, little splatters and whatnot. I did sit and think about life and whatnot and I"m going to not use the dot5 stuff... Gonna swing by the Kragen and return it for some normal dot4. It sounds so goupy in the can and if you really need to do a FULL cleaning, well, i'm a bit lazy for that. and they don't have any 5.1 on the shelf so. there ya go. I'm hoping for mind blowing results and all I've done is the nissin calipers and galfer sintered pads. i believe i already have a radial m/c? its an 07 and its got a bleeder nipple on it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sorry to the OP as this is off topic but..

Did you do all your brakes at once? I have the exact same setup other then I have Alth rotors and I was never fully happy until I got the Brembo RCS, that thing really makes a heck of a difference!! Just curious what your findings were

To the OP, I used some blue dot 5 stuff RDLYN13000 had a lot of, it seems to work good and didnt require the flush youre referring to. Not sure youd tell the difference of dot 4 to dot 5 unless youre a racer and really getting that fluid boiling!! You may be readiing a bit too into this
Yes, I did everything at once, the brembo MC is killer! Also like I said earlier the Motul RBF 600 is great stuff its DOT4 and has a 600 degree boiling point.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts