Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well guys, did a track day at the Streets of Willow Springs (Rosamond, CA)....yesterday...

I have ridden this track twice on a 636 via Keith Codes California Superbike School....

This is the first time I have ridden the 10 on this track...

First off, what a difference!!! Man, riding the 636 was SOOOO much easier then the 10....

I was opening the throttle and running wide in the turns....throttle control was incredibly important....

Went over to the Michelin guys and had them put 38 in the rear and 37 in the front....(their recommendation)....click in two clicks of front rebound and 1/2 turn in on the rear....major difference.....was much faster and just squirted through the bowl...

I was in the Express (middle) group and was passing a lot of slower riders....I came out of the bowl and shot down the straight and went to pass a guy on the little bump, he veered towards me and I punched the throttle to try and get past him....next thing I knew, me and the bike were sliding down the track...think I was going around 80 - 100 mph...

I am not exactly sure what happened...

Shreaded my leathers....right down to my butt cheeks....

I hung on the the throttle because I didn't want the bike to start spinning....but that added extra force on my leathers shreading...

All in all, not much damage....wore down the peg and bent the peg bolt, wore down the brake toe shifter, rashed lower r/h fairing, rashed slider, rashed bar end...scratched the Akra and mid pipe...That's about it...oh, some minor stuff on my Sidi's...

lesson 1 - be careful when passing - when in doubt, back off...

lesson 2 - carry an extra peg and bolt....I could have gone out and ridden the rest of the day ( I have spare leathers)...

lesson 3 - carry a first aid kit...

lesson 4 - carry spare leathers

lesson 5 - 600's make great track bikes!!!! However, the experience is helping me tighten up the 10's handling and improve my throttle control...

Should be ready to roll by the weekend...

(October 21 - Pahrump...)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,238 Posts
That was you? :crackup: Just kidding. Yeah, I never try to make a pass when I am not absolutlely sure about it. Ain't worth the down side. I never ride SOW either. All I have are liter bikes and staying in second gear all around the track just isn't that much fun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
590 Posts
How Many 10 owners are there in the Orange County area on here? I need to hook up with some of you guys for a ride or 2.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,362 Posts
OG. To bad about the bike. At that speed. you came out pretty gold. i had a friend who crash his 10 at a slower speed and did a lot more damage to his bike.
 

·
Yankee Racer
Joined
·
14,838 Posts
wow sorry to hear, some people are a bit scarey to pass and unless it is a race I just let them have a little space...sometimes...lol Oh and those pressures seem really high...those were the pilot powers I imagine correct?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,330 Posts
wow good luck in October...
I had my first full trackday on the 10 yesterday.
I think I was faster on my 636 I noticed the track edges come alot quiker with the 10 ;-)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
zx10ragentblack said:
wow sorry to hear, some people are a bit scarey to pass and unless it is a race I just let them have a little space...sometimes...lol Oh and those pressures seem really high...those were the pilot powers I imagine correct?
YUP...buddies were running Pilot Race at 23 lbs...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
avdigigeek said:
wow good luck in October...
I had my first full trackday on the 10 yesterday.
I think I was faster on my 636 I noticed the track edges come alot quiker with the 10 ;-)
No Sheit, Sherlock...the track was a lot smaller with the 10...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
299 Posts
zx10ragentblack said:
Oh and those pressures seem really high...those were the pilot powers I imagine correct?
I was thinking the same thing. I have used the PP's a number of times in varying temps. seems 31 front and 29 rear are about where I start off, and go from there. If you are a lighter guy(I'm a clydesdaleat well over 200lbs), I might go 30/28 or so to start.

In general with street tires, 30/30 is a good place to start for a trackday. Its not going to make alot of difference to street riders and moderate trackday go'ers.

As far as "punching the throttle" is concerned... smooth, slow control inputs and weight shift changes is what you want. I here ya with those riders that go into corners behaving like a chipmunk in the middle of the road!! let em be... get a good drive off the exit to get by them, or just wait for the next corner and get them quickly on the brakes. I agree with the others, the down side is definitely worth waiting to set up a safer pass.

Fix her up and get back on your horse!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Normally I run 31 front and 33 rear...but after talking to the Michelin guys, decided to change it as I wasn't happy with the way the bike was handling on the short track....must admit, bike handled better with the higher pressures...I'm like 175 lbs...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
299 Posts
Yeah, A getoff always stinks. I know my number will come up in that lottery some day.

It turns in quicker with higher pressures, but you lose a bit of grip with (possibly) decreased size contact patch, and you can't get heat into the tires as easily to make them nice and stickey gooey. Did you look at your tires after you getoff? If they were glazed, they were cold and they just gave up the grip. If they have that gooey texture that you see when you are pulling a decal off something, then the tires were working fine.

I'm sure its tough to remember what happened in our sport of motorcycling. Things just happen so fast, and moreso with our 1 million HP ZX10's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ShortBus said:
Yeah, A getoff always stinks. I know my number will come up in that lottery some day.

It turns in quicker with higher pressures, but you lose a bit of grip with (possibly) decreased size contact patch, and you can't get heat into the tires as easily to make them nice and stickey gooey. Did you look at your tires after you getoff? If they were glazed, they were cold and they just gave up the grip. If they have that gooey texture that you see when you are pulling a decal off something, then the tires were working fine.

I'm sure its tough to remember what happened in our sport of motorcycling. Things just happen so fast, and moreso with our 1 million HP ZX10's.
Gooey asphalt...front was worse than the rear...when I ride with my buddies, I usually smoke them with my rear tire leaving black skid marks accelerating out of the corners..

Jeez, that ain't acceptable behavior from a 60 year old, huh
 

·
Hillbillie Mod
Joined
·
20,155 Posts
Glad youre ok OG!

I like how you were sure to learn from your off! Sometimes thats all we can do, and thank God for allowing us to walk away! :eyecrazy:
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top