Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today was an awesome day at the track with perfect weather, good people, and good vibes. As the morning turned into afternoon I started amping it up more. Things were feeling really good. I entered a right hand turn (probably too hot) and got on the gas as soon as possible and next thing I know I'm sliding across the track staring up at clouds. Big lowside. Surprisingly I walked away without a single scratch or bruise! The bike seems to be in solid shape too. I rode the last couple sessions and it felt ok - forks and triples might be misaligned, but thats it. Definitely lost a TON of confidence. Had to go beginner pace the rest of the day. This was my first crash on a motorcycle. Ever. Feel like I got as lucky as one can possibly get in this situation. Next time I need to be more responsible with my throttle. Sedici leathers don't hold up very well either. Wonder if the lifetime warranty applies? :lol: Bottom photo is of the damage.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Well all things considered it doesn't look to bad some rash on the bike but it could have been worse. Main thing is you were not hurt that's a huge plus. Your leather's seemed to have taken the biggest hit hopefully the company will make good on their warranty. Sucks to crash but it happens you have to adopt the short memory like the racer's forget about it and move on. Those guys get right up and go fast again. LOL

·
Registered
773 Posts
Yep, in my experience, these lowsides happen so fast that you've no time to react. One minute you're riding through the bend and in a split second you're sliding down the track watching your bike and hoping it comes to rest before it starts to somersault :eek:

Dont know what crash protection you're using, but I've found R&G to be excellent. The bungs seem to be placed in exactly the best position to minimise any damage and the bolts are designed to bend to avoid any energy transfer to the frame. I've twice had good reason to be thankful to R&G :thumbsup:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well all things considered it doesn't look to bad some rash on the bike but it could have been worse. Main thing is you were not hurt that's a huge plus. Your leather's seemed to have taken the biggest hit hopefully the company will make good on their warranty. Sucks to crash but it happens you have to adopt the short memory like the racer's forget about it and move on. Those guys get right up and go fast again. LOL
Agreed. Definitely glad I'm not hurt. That seems to be the most costly thing in this sport. I got back out there and had an instructor pace me a few laps to get some confidence back.

Yep, in my experience, these lowsides happen so fast that you've no time to react. One minute you're riding through the bend and in a split second you're sliding down the track watching your bike and hoping it comes to rest before it starts to somersault :eek:

Dont know what crash protection you're using, but I've found R&G to be excellent. The bungs seem to be placed in exactly the best position to minimise any damage and the bolts are designed to bend to avoid any energy transfer to the frame. I've twice had good reason to be thankful to R&G :thumbsup:
Yep...happened to fast I didn't even have a chance to correct. I think I came into the turn too hot, initiated a stupid low lean angle, cracked open the gas and then all was lost :badteeth: You know, I am not entirely sure what sliders are on the bike. They are short and stubby and kept the bike from flipping at a decent speed. Rash on my fairings, brake lever, and rearset are minimal.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is a picture from the second session of the day. I think I wrecked in the 3rd session in this very same turn. Looks like I could hang off more from the pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess I need to over exaggerate and "push" the bike up more. It already feels like I'm hanging off a ton but obviously I need to experiment more.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I guess I need to over exaggerate and "push" the bike up more. It already feels like I'm hanging off a ton but obviously I need to experiment more.
well yes and no. hang the right parts off instead of the wrong parts ;)

for example, something to play with, there's two sayings that help with this

"kiss your mirror" aka, you put your head where your mirror should be. its hard to do this while being cross up, so it keeps your shoulders squared with the bike, spine aligned with the bike and your butt only slides half a cheek over the side of the seat which is far as you'll need to go until you're really hauling the mail. once you get to that point, you tweak some more stuff but, that'll come in another post

the other tip is, opposite nipple to outside the tank. if you're taking a right, put your left nip nip to the outside edge of the right side of the tank. keeps your shoulders down and squared and head low and forward and really lays your arm out over the tank so you get a good push out on it

you'll want your head in the crook of your elbow.

you can see by how straight your arms are that your lower body is off yet you're not bringing your upper body over with it.

it's weird, cuz you're head is lower and its a different view of the track so its a different sight line you have to get used to so it can be uncomfortable at first.

just remember to keep your weight on the balls of your feet on the pegs, your ass should be hardly touching the seat aka no weight in it. this also means no weight in your hands. you should be able to lift your hands off the bars thats how light the pressure in your arms should be. at the end of the day, your legs and abs should be burning, not your back and arms.

your knee slider is a feeler gauge not an anchor to drag around the corner, once it hits you tap tap and bring it in a little bit and it lets you know how far you can still go or not, dragging it is not ideal

all of this allows less lean angle at that same speed, meaning you can either go faster, or lean further. however, as you're on a stupid powerful liter bike, you want to be at max lean as short as possible aka point and shoot the corners, get it stood back up as soon as possible. usually it means your lines will be later apex with harder tip ins and harder on the gas on exit which will look different than a 600's line which carries more corner speed

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
well yes and no. hang the right parts off instead of the wrong parts ;)

for example, something to play with, there's two sayings that help with this

"kiss your mirror" aka, you put your head where your mirror should be. its hard to do this while being cross up, so it keeps your shoulders squared with the bike, spine aligned with the bike and your butt only slides half a cheek over the side of the seat which is far as you'll need to go until you're really hauling the mail. once you get to that point, you tweak some more stuff but, that'll come in another post

the other tip is, opposite nipple to outside the tank. if you're taking a right, put your left nip nip to the outside edge of the right side of the tank. keeps your shoulders down and squared and head low and forward and really lays your arm out over the tank so you get a good push out on it

you'll want your head in the crook of your elbow.

you can see by how straight your arms are that your lower body is off yet you're not bringing your upper body over with it.

it's weird, cuz you're head is lower and its a different view of the track so its a different sight line you have to get used to so it can be uncomfortable at first.

just remember to keep your weight on the balls of your feet on the pegs, your ass should be hardly touching the seat aka no weight in it. this also means no weight in your hands. you should be able to lift your hands off the bars thats how light the pressure in your arms should be. at the end of the day, your legs and abs should be burning, not your back and arms.

your knee slider is a feeler gauge not an anchor to drag around the corner, once it hits you tap tap and bring it in a little bit and it lets you know how far you can still go or not, dragging it is not ideal

all of this allows less lean angle at that same speed, meaning you can either go faster, or lean further. however, as you're on a stupid powerful liter bike, you want to be at max lean as short as possible aka point and shoot the corners, get it stood back up as soon as possible. usually it means your lines will be later apex with harder tip ins and harder on the gas on exit which will look different than a 600's line which carries more corner speed
:thumbsup: Awesome. I will think about some of these things next time I am out. I will really focus on getting my upper body more in line with my lower. Most if not all my weight is on the pegs so I'm good there. Legs are trashed by the end of the day and usually into the next day lol.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Here is another...looks to be the same thing going on here. So for example, should my head be about where the plastic shoulder guard on that jacket is or at least closer to that point on the photo? I will think about kissing my mirror and touching nippes to the tank :crackup: Oh yea also, I'm on a 600cc at track. My hat is off to those brave enough to ride 1000's on the track!

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is an example from a race (not me). How was this not a lowside? Upper body position does not seem as you described above. I guess he doesn't have much room left to get his head lower? lol

Attachments

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Here is another...looks to be the same thing going on here. So for example, should my head be about where the plastic shoulder guard on that jacket is or at least closer to that point on the photo? I will think about kissing my mirror and touching nippes to the tank :crackup: Oh yea also, I'm on a 600cc at track. My hat is off to those brave enough to ride 1000's on the track!
ah thats a 6? nice. i guessed wrong, track plastics make that hard sometimes. well, there's tweaking to be done again for you for higher corner speed. for you, you can trail brake less and use more of the track to brake wider and run harder on exit to the edges

Here is an example from a race (not me). How was this not a lowside? Upper body position does not seem as you described above. I guess he doesn't have much room left to get his head lower? lol
notice how much further forward his head is near the windscreen versus where yours is? his spines pointed forward, yours is pointing up. meaning, he's lined up with the bike, body forward, head down, while you're still sitting back, upper body pointing up and out, not through the turn.

there isn't a perfect body position, but there are simple ways to increase your chances of going faster safer. there's plenty of people who are fast as hell and it defies physics lol. lowsides are generally due to bad inputs to the bike, not just straight extreme lean angle. the tires will do 55+ degrees lean angle so to reduce your chances of going over that, you can compensate with different body positioning.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ah thats a 6? nice. i guessed wrong, track plastics make that hard sometimes. well, there's tweaking to be done again for you for higher corner speed. for you, you can trail brake less and use more of the track to brake wider and run harder on exit to the edges

notice how much further forward his head is near the windscreen versus where yours is? his spines pointed forward, yours is pointing up. meaning, he's lined up with the bike, body forward, head down, while you're still sitting back, upper body pointing up and out, not through the turn.

there isn't a perfect body position, but there are simple ways to increase your chances of going faster safer. there's plenty of people who are fast as hell and it defies physics lol. lowsides are generally due to bad inputs to the bike, not just straight extreme lean angle. the tires will do 55+ degrees lean angle so to reduce your chances of going over that, you can compensate with different body positioning.
I definitely have some things I can work on :eek:ccasion1 One of the corner workers said he thought I got on the gas too early and too hard. Crashing has been extremely educational :lol:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yea your too upright. You have to think your head weights 10 lbs so thats weight you can use to your advantage. Also you need to be further back in the seat and have your upper body on the tank but off the side. Your opposite arm should be resting on the tank. But really its whats ever comfortable to you.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea your too upright. You have to think your head weights 10 lbs so thats weight you can use to your advantage. Also you need to be further back in the seat and have your upper body on the tank but off the side. Your opposite arm should be resting on the tank. But really its whats ever comfortable to you.
I can't wait to get back out there and practice some more. Ya'll have given me some good pointers. I'm definitely interested in getting faster. Sounds like I'll need to take a step back to go two steps forward. Getting my head lower and upper body in position is going to feel weird.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The zx was my firsr time out on it and first time ever on a 10000 and got 6th on it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts