Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I have a 7 month old '16 Zx10 and everything has been fine so far. But i recently hit 9,000km and the tach area has started to make a loud clank kind of sound when i switch the engine off with the key. If i turn the bike on in the morning it will be completely fine, but if i ride for a while or leave it running then it seems to get louder the hotter the bike is. I may be paranoid but the fact it has never happened once up until now is leaving me worried. If required i'll add a link to a video i have. I asked a few others what they thought via Facebook, a couple insisted it is the secondary actuator, just want to confirm and any possible pointers would be good as in do i replace it? How do i know if its a problem? Because the younger guy as Kawa said its just the 'evaporator valve kicking in and it makes noise now cos the bike is no longer new' but i wasn't convinced.

Also, the tail end/ECU area has begun to make a vibrating/static kind of sound when powering on/off the bike. When i turn it on for the first time the sound is consistent and doesn't stop even if i turn the bike off and on again, but stops after 30 seconds or so. Again, this never happened before.

Quick side note, bike is completely stock except for SC Project slip on/decat. Been told this will be fine unless left for extremely long. Haven't been able to take it to get tuned as its a long as hell drive and will need a pick up etc due to where i live, so hoping it hasn't damaged the bike. Not sure if this would be connected to any of this at all but thought i'd add it anyway.

Thanks in advance guys.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,715 Posts
Because the younger guy as Kawa said its just the 'evaporator valve kicking in and it makes noise now cos the bike is no longer new' but i wasn't convinced.
Welcome!

Evaporator valve? Does your bike have air conditioning?!?!? How do I get cold A/C on my bike??? I'm in Florida and could really use that mod. :idea:

:lol: No, it's not an evaporator valve and it's not your instrument cluster. There's an intake flap in the air duct that is motorized. The actuator is in behind the cluster. The door should move a flap in the intake and you should be able to see it if you look in the nose. Ignore it as the noise you're hearing is likely just the door closing.

The vibration in the tail is likely your exhaust servo motor. Since you "de-catted" your bike, what did you do with the servo cables? What did you do with the motor that was in the tail? If the cables are still attached and binding the motor, then you'll hear it strain as it's trying to open/close a valve that isn't there any longer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome!

Evaporator valve? Does your bike have air conditioning?!?!?
Hahaha that's exactly what i thought, knew there was something off with that guy. I didn't fit the slip on and decat myself as i bought the pipe from the dealer and they fit it for free, so I'm guessing they left everything in there as all i was given was the cat and muffler (was a pain to ride them home). The sound comes from the tail where the ECU is and its more of a crackly static noise.

If all was left as is, are these 2 noises nothing to worry about then? Oh and one more thing if you don't mind, as i mentioned my bike is running lean as i haven't been able to tune it as of yet, how long will the bike be OK for before any damage occurs? I've been given varying opinions from 'it'll all be fine' to 'your engine will explode' xD. Thanks for the quick reply.

P.S. Love your note about Suzuki's, got a brilliant clip of some ass on a GSXR-1000 talking big in front of his girlfriend and all his biker friends... Followed by me consistently whooping him by 8+ car lengths till he gave up. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts