Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cruising on the highway today goin around 70mph. I wasn't lookin at my gauges and swear I saw the rpms do its self check cycle as if I just turned the key on. I shrugged it off thinking I was seeing things. Then a few moments later I see my temperature shoot up. Like 180-190-210-230- Hi in a matter of seconds. I shut my engine off instantly worried that my coolant leaked or something. I check my coolant levels and its topped off completely. I check my oil and its perfect amount maybe a little more and blackish color like it should be. I was stumped. I left my bike sitting for awhile for the temp to go down to about 170. I turrn my bike on for 2 seconds, literally, and the temp shot up to around 215. Keep in mind every time the bike shot up in temp the fan did not turn on at all. I also notice my gauge cluster did not power on when I turned the key one time. In my experience, I've seen this as an electrical problem. Improper grounding or a fuse went out. Any and all insight would be nice.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Also the water pump is working the coolant was flowing when I rev'd the engine
have you drained the coolant recently?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Water temperature sensor acting up?
Possibly this. I'm truly stumped. I went to work for a few hours come back and it works perfectly fine. No idea what happened here wish I had the solution. I should add that I hhave the gen2 gauge conversion on my bike so I don't see if there is any fi light on. Electrical gremlins :\

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Possibly this. I'm truly stumped. I went to work for a few hours come back and it works perfectly fine. No idea what happened here wish I had the solution. I should add that I hhave the gen2 gauge conversion on my bike so I don't see if there is any fi light on. Electrical gremlins :
Water temp sensor may or may not throw a code. Make sure you dont have any air pockets in the cooling system...hence the reason I asked if you changed the coolant recently. An air bubble in the system can make it look like the temps are all over the place, and give fast HI readings...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Water temp sensor may or may not throw a code. Make sure you dont have any air pockets in the cooling system...hence the reason I asked if you changed the coolant recently. An air bubble in the system can make it look like the temps are all over the place, and give fast HI readings...
Hmmm I did add some coolant this past weekend. When I was testing if coolant flowing I did see a couple of small bubbles come out. I thought flushed out all the air but I may have left some in I guess. Do you have a technique for getting all the air out? I could try that to see

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Hmmm I did add some coolant this past weekend. When I was testing if coolant flowing I did see a couple of small bubbles come out. I thought flushed out all the air but I may have left some in I guess. Do you have a technique for getting all the air out? I could try that to see
I just tap all the hoses while its running....some people squeeze and release them. I keep it on the side stand when I check...this puts the radiator opening at the highest point...so any trapped air pockets should flow up. Pouring in coolant slowly helps push out air naturally too.

Reactions: adub

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
for those who cared i found out what was wrong. a wire to my gauge cluster came loose that was all.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
for those who cared i found out what was wrong. A wire to my gauge cluster came loose that was all.
we all care, i was going to tell you to check your fan i had my fan hitting the spring to my exhaust and had my temp tripping

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
for those who cared i found out what was wrong. a wire to my gauge cluster came loose that was all.
DOnt get all mellow dramatic on us now...we're ALL glad ya got it figured out. Job well done!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i didnt mean it like that haha. i know you all care. just anyone who in the current/future has a similar problem and wanted to know what fixed my problem

1 - 12 of 12 Posts