Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, and firstly thanks for reading my post and hopefully helping me figure out this strange issue.

I have a 2004 C1H ZX10R, pretty much standard apart from Can, upgraded Fireblade Calipers and steering damper.

Here we go :

I have had the bike over a year now, and generally its never missed a beat apart from crap stock calipers which have now been upgraded !, but just lately under hard acceleration in any gear, i sometimes get a weird jump, it does feel slightly like jumping out of gear. But i had a R1 before this bike, and the R1 had the classic jump out of 2nd gear issue, and you knew exactly when it did and then popped back in due to the worn dog teeth. The the ZX doesn't feel as violent as that, but also does it in all gears which leaves me thinking its not the transmission....... ?

Initially i though it must be the clutch, so i have just put new EBC friction plates & new tougher springs in, the clutch is now really nice !, but its still doing it. I also thoroughly checked the metal plates in the clutch, and they are all true & straight with no weird warping or marks on them.

the chain & sprockets are all fine, with no missing teeth, and i'm quite anal about over lubing the chain, so its never been dry....

Has anyone had this issue before, or something similar to point my in a direction, also could the slipper clutch cause this issue ? dont know much about them so if any guru could explain more ?

thanks in advance Peeps !

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey, you never got a reply to your post but the 04 that I just picked up does the same thing in second gear only. Like a slight jumping or slipping. The previous owner says he was told it was the shift fork and could easily be replaced if it got worse but that it didn't seem to be changing.
Did you ever get to the bottom of it?
Cheers

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
1,116 Posts
Hey, you never got a reply to your post but the 04 that I just picked up does the same thing in second gear only. Like a slight jumping or slipping. The previous owner says he was told it was the shift fork and could easily be replaced if it got worse but that it didn't seem to be changing.
Did you ever get to the bottom of it?
Cheers
the second gear deal almost like the bike feels like the chain is jumping teeth on the sprocket, that is worn dogs. you can stay in second as long as you don't try and give it any kind of actual twist but if you do what it to move along it does the jump and slip feeling crap. The gear isn't that expensive but unless you are pretty confident and comfortable tearing that bike all the way down and willing to buy a new gasket set it's gonna cost you a bit to have it replaced

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah that's exactly what the previous owner described. So basically just live with it unless it becomes a bigger issue and becomes worth replacing. .
Cheers and thanks for the reply

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
My '04 had shifting issues after switching to Amsoil, swapped it out for some Castrol and all my shifting and quickshifter issues had gone away

·
Registered
50 Posts
That's good to hear. Which quickshifter did you have? Thinking about that as my next mod

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
That's good to hear. Which quickshifter did you have? Thinking about that as my next mod

I ran a dynojet quickshifter with a PC3 and Ignition Module but another option is a standalone like the Annitori

Reactions: Niner

·
Registered
50 Posts
I ran a dynojet quickshifter with a PC3 and Ignition Module but another option is a standalone like the Annitori
Cool, I'm gonna think about that. First time really on it today and it does feel like the dogs slip in second a fair bit so I'm not sure if a QS would be harder or easier on the trans. I'll probably crack it and check the dogs first

1 - 8 of 8 Posts