Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought this bike in rough conditions and I took it on as a project mind you this is my first bike. Not the point, lol. But real only major issue I believe I have is that there is a leak between the engine and the pipes that connects the exhaust. I saw there was some JB Weld on that area as well. I’m not sure what the problem is but I do not think it’s oil because it sizzle like it’s boiling because of how hot the bike is. If I’m correct I think oil shouldn’t be doing that. But it’s leaking very little and I haven’t driven the bike but I have left it on for a long while and It leaked about 4 droplets and and it stopped after awhile. It’s very weird but concerning because it’s smoking so clearly something is wrong.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Well it's either JB repair job for the exhaust stud or it's a bad attempt at plugging a leak, first off there are no oil passages in that area, so if its oil it's a really badly blown oil seal on 1 or 2 exhaust valves there, but that is very unlikely because there would be just way way to many clouds of smoke coming out the pipe and bringing free ways to a stand still. I expect you have a cracked head or at least a pressure weap around the jacket in the exhaust area and the weld is a dumb arse attempt at disguising it. Sadly I think the only way of finding out is to strip the head off. On what you have told us that is. Its possibly oil working down from the cover gasket etc. Or even a pressure leak from the radiator or coolant pipes in that area which is blowing onto that spot meaning the JB could even just be a dumb arse attempt at stopping gas leak because the headers aren't seated properly. Either way you got start stripping it down to find out.

·
Registered
220 Posts
the head looks like its leaking oil from the valve cover gasket to me which is very common.

Agree with michael about the rest.

That jb weld shit is ... well, shit.
Gen 2 head should be pretty cheap / easy to find but that bike looks like a bag of headaches to me and i haven't even seen the rest of it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts