Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who went from your popular 600cc SS to a 1000cc SS, how did you guys find the weight difference, was it a drastic change? was it extremely noticable? I know all 600's and 1000's weigh different in their own class and i know i can find specs of the dry/wet weight of each bike but from a user perspective in general I was just wondering if you guys found it to be a big difference which affected the way you handled or rode the bike.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I felt large when I rode my buddies 600rr. the front was much closer, i felt that I was on the bike but not in the bike. But I didnt notice a weight thing....

·
Registered
410 Posts
'09 ZX6r weight is 368 lbs dry, '09 zx10r is 394 lbs dry according to wikipedia.

I haven't ridden either, but i've ridden several 600's on the track and my zx10r on the track. There doesn't seem to be much difference in handling to me.

I always chuckle a bit at people who say the liter bikes handle like chit....the weight difference is almost negligible on some of them. The only major difference i've noticed is how much harder it is to get on the gas early on the liter bike.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Made the switch late spring ie 07 ZX6R to 07 ZX10R, hardly felt any diff. in weight. Love my 10R:mrgreen:

·
Registered
282 Posts
went from an '05 ZX6R to an '06 ZX10R

Size was the same, as I have always found Kawi to make a "large fit" bike. Yam R6s for example, are just tiny and cramped for me. So in that respect the size felt the same.

In terms of weight, I noticed a degree or lack there of, of "fling factor". It was a bit more sluggish in flinging it side to side, like lets say in a chicane or just wiggling it side to side on the street to get some heat into the tires.

You have to man handle it a slight bit more, but not too much.

You also dont get into the power band until much higher speeds, like around 90km/h+. As a result it feels sluggish in the city (speed limit) riding which may also lead one to feel the bike in general feels heavy or sluggish as, if you try to get on the throttle at legal speeds on the road it won't be as peppy as a 6R. Flick the clutch though and you can access the power band in the blink of an eye, and also have yourself a lightening quick wheelie where you will wonder where all that "weight" went!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Another thing that some people mean when they talk about the flickability of a 600 is not so much the weight, but the engine. A 1000 has to have beefier engine parts to handle the extra power (And displacement of course). That much extra weight spinning at 10,000RPM plus makes the side to side transitions more noticeable amongst other things.

However, for most mortal humans like you and I - our riding skills just suck in comparison. You can say a liter bike is too bike for a smaller, tighter radius turn track. However, if you hopped on a 600, and Rossi jumped on your ZX-10...he'd still make you look like a newbie. The less (rotational) weight of a 600 just makes life easier for us normal guys.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
+1 Otto Man,

I ride between my 636 (389lbs wet), 10R (410lbs Wet) & 1098 (not sure but 41X) and the 600 size alone is not that much different, unless you talk about the 600RR honda or triumph 675.
Where the BIG difference to me comes is the handling of the bikes the 600's just do what you want with no resistance and you can transition them so much easier and FAR LESS Engine braking and centrifical effects from the crank mainly all corner related.
Where a 600 seems to cost, a 1000 feels sluggish and dull.

·
Registered
777 Posts
On paper my 10 is about 25lbs heavier than my 600. The reality is the 10 felt 25lbs lighter. It's an unfair comparison though, the 6100 was 4 years older and a different marque.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Went from an 03 636 to an 05 10R.

I don't notice it day to day riding, but in the twisties it does take a little bit more to toss it into corners...but not enough for me to complain at all.

I notice it the most when I'm rolling it around the driveway when I'm off the bike.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I went from a 2000 zx6r to a 2005 zx10r. There was 2 pounds differance between them and the 10 was the lighter one! 10 feels about 20 pounds lighter though not two.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I dunno, i could tell a MAJOR weight difference in riding between my '07 cbr600 and my '08 zx10 on the track! My cbr was soo much easier to ride and throw into the corners compared to my zx10 and i could carry more corner speed on my 600 compared to my 1000.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I dunno, i could tell a MAJOR weight difference in riding between my '07 cbr600 and my '08 zx10 on the track! My cbr was soo much easier to ride and throw into the corners compared to my zx10 and i could carry more corner speed on my 600 compared to my 1000.
:+1:

Geometry has a lot to do with it too. The leverage you have on the bars, the tire profile, fork tube position, etc, etc. My 636 didn't seem to have crazy turn in, but it got stolen before I could try anything other than the bt-014's it came with. When I bought my ten it had the stock dunlops on it, and seemed to turn in like a truck. Swapped to some powers (more conical tire profile) and it was night and day.

Now, if you have a control setup. Same tire, similar geometry, etc. (Like a 09 zx6r and 09 zx10r.) The 600 will feel noticably easier to turn in, if for no reason other than less reciprocating mass (as someone else already mentioned). Phycial weights aren't that different, but will feel substantial when pushed hard.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts