Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Gonna propose to my girlfriend of 5 years over the holidays. Obviously she is awesome and all comments of marriage being a bad idea, etc etc can be withheld as I've basically been "married" for the last few years while living together. I have a pretty good idea of what I'm getting into. *Off of soap box.*

Anyway, need some advice/tips/experience on ring buying from all you married dudes/gals. I have some change squared away, but obviously would like to come out of this thing as unscathed as possible (not that she isn't worth it, but you know what I mean). Internet searches say the average ring was over $5000 last year :headshake

We are a pretty realistic and down-to-earth couple, but I know she is going to want a "nice" ring. Seems like a total waste of money to me, but I digress. Any thoughts, tips, experience, etc is greatly appreciated. We are going to "look" at stuff in a week, thought maybe ya'll could kick some knowledge my way before that happens. Thanks all!

-Eddie

·
Squid wannabe
6,073 Posts
I have to agree with you in thinking it is a waste of money.

But im sure she thinks a zx10 is also waste of money, so i guess we are even.

From what i hear, you should spend around 3 months of pay for a ring??

And i think you can get a better deal getting more small rocks than one big one.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts

Justttt kiddin.

I was int he same boat as you, on Dec 1st I asked her.

My brother just got a ring as well. He went to Jared and got RIPPPPEDDD Off man. I'd stay away from the big places or else they will rape you.

I was lucky enough to have a well trusted jewler that my family has been using for a long time but you gotta shop around man, get a picture of what your looking for and bring it in and see what they have to offer is really gunna be your best bet I'd assume.

Congrats to ya, I've been dating my g/f for 5 yrs since august. Were planning on Feb of 2013 to get married lol.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
And i think you can get a better deal getting more small rocks than one big one.

That reminds me!

if you go from a 1ct to a .9ct you will hardly know the difference and it will be ALOT cheaper!!!! I lucked out big time and got a 1.02ct for the price of a .9 :thumbsup:

·
Registered
890 Posts
That reminds me!

if you go from a 1ct to a .9ct you will hardly know the difference and it will be ALOT cheaper!!!! I lucked out big time and got a 1.02ct for the price of a .9 :thumbsup:
That is really true. I used to work for a jewelery store and a lot of customers could never tell the difference. Even the difference between a 1ct and 3/4 of a carat isn't that huge, but the savings definitely is. My 0.2s, don't really focus on size now but go for something that has a good quality center stone. I have seen some big rocks that are plain ugly, with visible inclusions and a yellowish tint :headshake The thing about 3 months of you salary can be ignored too, wouldn't be surprised if the jewelry industry came up with that figure :badteeth:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha that's a great pic Garth!

And thanks, this is great advice guys. Heard the "3 month rule" and such but I agree it's probably a product of the industry.

Her family has a local jeweler they've done biz with for several years, so that's stop 1 I suppose.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I agree with most above. Buy quality not size and I found better deals and customer service with a small local jeweler. I originally went to big box jeweler and was looking at a 1.5 k but it looked a little hazy. Then went to local jeweler and for same price got a smaller 1.2 but its crystal clear and one he made so the chances of seeing a similar is slim.

·
Squid
6,017 Posts
I just purposed last weekend!! Pick out the diamond first!! Get a colorless one with minimal flaws it looks so much better then a bigger yellow one!!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Between my wife and myself we spent $460 on both rings. I also machined a titanium ring for her and engraved our names and love :helmet: Took the money most people waste on rings and did some things to the house she wanted done :thumbsup:

·
I really need to get out of the house
13,309 Posts
Now Im not sure how you feel about this but a gf of mine just got engaged in the summer and her boyfriend went to the pawn shop and purchased a diamond ring, he picked out the diamond he wanted at the quater of the price as what you would pay at the jewlery stores and went to a local goldsmith here and made a new setting, melted down the band and pick a settin he liked.
Im not sure if they even do this in the States, but here you can ungrade your diamond every year at the store you original purchased it, as long as the diamond is larger. I have a 3 diamond ring that my mother purchased me 5 years ago and every year she trades it in and upgrades it, so to me even when you purchase the "new" ones at full price in the jewlery, chances are you are gettin a used diamond at alot more of the cost that someone has already traded in.

And as far as the comment about marriage, if she is the one, go for it and be happy you found the right lady!:thumbsup:

Congrats to you and her

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
The 4 c's:

Cut
Clarity
Color
Carat weight

You also want a girdle that is uniform and not too thick or thin. If it is too thick they are just trying to get extra weight in the stone. Stones also have an optimum percentage of depth that is considered the sweet spot....too deep or too thin takes away from the stone. Then you have other factors as well such as fluorescence, symmetry, polish, culet, etc.

I have been looking at rings for months with my GF as I plan on proposing pretty soon here too.

What I found to be a good alternative is to buy the main rocks separately and then get the ring later. Check out a place called Blue Nile as they have a nice setup to assemble rings, buy just stones, or buy the whole ring.

I already have stones that need to be set...but I am still not too sure what way to go. I might turn them into some other jewelery for the GF instead.

I also found that a good way to get some carats and bling is to buy the main solitaire ring and then get another ring that seats around the solitaire stone. Some kinda lock together while others are actually soldered together. I can get a pretty nice solitaire marquis in white gold for about a 1000/1200 and then the outer ring with another about .5ctw for maybe another 800-1000. So you are looking at three stones for a total carat weight of around 1.5 carats.
I am not going to drop 5 g's though (!).....around 2 should net a nice ring after shopping around. I am shooting for no less than a carat and probably more like a .8-.9 center-stone and some smaller maybe .25 carat stones and chips around them. Probably closer to two carats when it's all said and done.

Here are a couple links to help you out:

http://www.brilliance.com/diamonds

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-search?track=head

Good luck

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
I went to Zales and got the engagement and wedding band as a combo for $2100. sticker price was 27-- but we talked her down to 1700 before taxes warranty and insurance.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've got nothing to contribute to this thread but :bump: for a local dude. Hope to see you out there next season. If you get permission, that is. :lol:

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I've spent a crap ton of money at kay jewelers and always been satisfied with what i've walked away with! Quality is way more important than quanity! My wife has always like rings that have lots of smaller diamonds vs a solitare that has maybe just one or two or three bigger rocks. Maybe ask her what she thinks about vintage style rings, or rings that have lots of intricate designs and markings...

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Don't spend any more than you mind get'n thrown into a garbage disposal. :helmet:

I cheaped out...free..family heirloom. But I think the family will keep her over me if things go south. :heyyou: :cool:

·
Judge Dredd Mod
9,188 Posts
My advice is to get a ring you can afford. It makes absolutely no sense to go into a marriage in big debt over a freaking ring. Had to talk to a friend of mine on this very subject recently. He was gonna get a 8K ringset and I told him he was insane for doing it. No freaking ring is worth that, and he was an idiot for thinking of doing that. In fact, if she demanded a ring like that then he needed to find someone else. Buy a $1500 ring (if that) and use the rest of the money you have on a house, housewares, and anything else you really need when you first get married. Dont depend on the registry for those things, you may not get everything then. But as the years pass you can add to the ring on your anniversary. That's what we've done and my lady is an extremely happy girl after 21 years. Good luck and Congrats on the pending nuptials!

·
Registered
250 Posts
My advice is to buy online. Free shipping and no tax. Two places to check out are ice dot com and szul dot com. Both offer 30-day full refunds. I have ordered from both.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've got nothing to contribute to this thread but :bump: for a local dude. Hope to see you out there next season. If you get permission, that is. :lol:
Ha very funny. She likes the bike actually.

Thanks guys, this is a good read. Hopefully I'll be able to help another guy in the future!

·
Starbucks Connoisseur
4,371 Posts
Okay first of all, you need to propose to her at a Starbucks you both go to most often. Or the one you both went to for the first time, makes it more memorable. Than when you give her the ring, also give her a few fully loaded gift cards from Starbucks, this is what I would do. If she by any chance isn't into Starbucks, then I STRONGLY suggest you fix this asap while it's easier to change someone in the beggining. Since later on it's practically impossible to change someone who's set in their ways.

btw: SB has some nice holiday flavors on their lattes you two should try out.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 45 Posts