Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm getting ready for the start of the season here (which is March 16th because of Winter tires law). I expect to ride in shitty, cold weather for at least 2-3 weeks (between 30-50F / 0-10 C) before decent temperature starts kicking in.

I just found Racer Multitop 2 gloves, but I don't know that brand at all.

Any suggestion on a decent pair gloves suiting my needs ? I don't want bulky touring gloves.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I spent the last 3 winters riding through very low temps. Quite often close to freezing (and below that if it was dry with no black ice) and in the rain. Over the years I tried out various combos to keep my hands warm.

1. bulky waterproof Alpinestars touring gloves (they feel like my snowboarding gloves)
2. leather Alpinestars GP Plus gloves with thin wool style gloves as a base layer
3. Bike Master heated grips (very affordable and easy to install) with my Alpinestars gloves with or without the woollies

Ultimately I settled (because your hands can never be truly comfortable in cold temps) with 2 variations (#3 above). The heated grips were the key. When close to freezing, I used my woollies/Alpinestars combo. When it came up in temps a bit (closer to 10 degree C) I ran the heated grips with no woollies.

I had to ditch the touring gloves. They were simply too bulky and lacked control. Plus, when my fingers got cold, they never warmed back up. My standard leather all season GP Plus gloves (with heat) compromised my fingertip warmth but maintaining the control and dexterity was more important.

In wet weather I'd arrive at work with soaking wet gloves and that sucked but I left them in the server room at the office. With all the HVAC air movement in there to remove heat, the constant tornado in there had my gloves bone dry within half a day and I could always start my commute home with dry hands.

While my hands were never comfortable in cold temps, the heated grips made things bearable in all conditions.

Reactions: lun471k and scout

·
Registered
707 Posts
Reactions: lun471k

·
Registered
374 Posts
I’ve used racer gloves before and they were good quality, no experience with the model you’re looking at though For winter riding I’m currently using Held Race Tex (gore tex layer) and they are very comfortable and still offer lots of feel through the bars. The gloves feel very good quality and hands stay dry which is the key element in keeping hands warm in bad weather.

As mentioned earlier heated grips are the answer to keeping hands warm when riding in cold weather. I install heated grips on all my bikes as I ride year round and tend to push far and wide when in touring mode.

Cold hands also compromise safety while riding, keep in mind that once you get cold there is no way to warm up without stopping and seeking shelter. If you can keep your hands and feet warm while riding, the journey is far more enjoyable and you’ll be more inclined to ride a lot further before feeling like throwing in the towel for the day.

I buy the heated grips kit from a company called warn n safe which come with a heat troller that allow dial in the perfect temperature.

Good luck in whatever direction you choose to stay warm.

·
Vendor
6,846 Posts
Tourmaster just came out with a lithium battery version of their gloves. They are all weather/waterproof and have 80g of insulation. There are other options out there and heated grips too. Just a new option from a brand who has been doing heated gear for years. Shoot me a PM if interested or have further questions. We just did a review here.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Tourmaster just came out with a lithium battery version of their gloves. They are all weather/waterproof and have 80g of insulation. There are other options out there and heated grips too. Just a new option from a brand who has been doing heated gear for years. Shoot me a PM if interested or have further questions. We just did a review here.
I installed a set of the oxford heated grips on a snow bike they are dam impressive even in -10 weather

·
Registered
718 Posts
I have the gloves for you but I'm not a vendor here so i don't wanna cause any trouble.. 250 shipped. Gauntlet style, heated, leather etc

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you have the cash id go heated, I went heated and won't go back. I use warm and safe myself but there are several quality companies, I do however love warm and safe they are probably my favorite company to deal with when it comes to motorcycle accessories\parts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts