Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
Some fill their rad with distilled water and a bottle of water wetter.

I was afraid of the water pump not be properly lubed from lack of antifreeze so I filled mine with about a 70/30 water to antifreeze with a half bottle of the stuff. It doesn't really run any cooler but it does take alot more time to get hot in traffic.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I used 1oz per quart of coolant, so about 3oz, which is what Redline suggests. To get max benefit Redline recommends using WW with water (no antifreeze). There are other mixes listed on the bottle. The dangers of not using antifreeze in your cooling system are obvious.

I think it only made a small difference, maybe 5 degrees. I do think it takes longer to heat up when you're at a stoplight, which is good. Someone else posted here saying something similar a while back. I didn't get to really check it out as we had a wicked shitty summer around here. I think I used the AC in my house only 5 or 6 times!!

FYI. You don't need to take any fairings off to do this. The cap is barely a pain to get off. Kind of a weird angle, that's all. Then you'll need to remove a bit of coolant to make room for the WW. I used a Prestone AF tester (WM $3, or so) and sucked out what was needed. I measured 3oz of WW, put it into a cup and then used the tester to suck up and squirt it back into the radiator. The only other thing you'll need is a towel to wipe up any small spills. Put the cap back on and yer done.

I prolly over-answered your question but I'm bored.

It's a decent "mod" for around $10 total.

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
If you look on the bottle of most it will answer most your questions, they give a couple suggestions for mixtures. You can run wW with no anti freeze the WW is designed to lubricate and keep the internals from corroding however has no anti freezing properties.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Nor does it raise the boiling point of water, so be careful with it in hot climates in the summer too. Max cooling effeniency is 100% water and water wetter, but at the risk of boiling/freezing. Safest, most worry free mixture is about 70/30 water/antifreeze+ water wetter. Or you could use Engine Ice coolant(antifreeze that's racetrack safe) but it's expensive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts