Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Update: Water Pump leaking need help

Update:(same as 11th post)

I cleaned her up, brought the temp up to about 200F. There is a drip accumulated at the six o’clock position where the water pump cover meets the water pump body (seal). Only one drop for the several minutes it was running.

There is a second drop, again at the six o’clock position on the water pump body (housing) closest to the engine so I can not see the area well.

I recon I should replace the housing and impeller, which may just be know as the water pump?

BTW as far as the torque settings….. 9.8 N-m or 87in-lb. Is that less that one foot pound? I bought a torque ratchet that is 10-100 ft lbs…..

Thanks again for all your help.

Body of original post:
I was getting the bike ready for the riding season. I have stored it in the garage for the winter and this is the first it has been looked at in about seven months. I noticed the there was a cd size spot of antifreeze on the floor under the overflow hose. Then after removing the fairing I saw that the seal around the water pump had the white wafts starting at about the one o’clock position and working its way down then along the oil pan.

What I think is that the leak has been there for at least part of the riding season last summer. It seems to be a seeping and drying almost as fast as it is coming out. After sitting for the winter I was able to notice the now green liquid about the water pump. I remember adding some antifreeze last year around mid summer, it was not much but I did not think to check for leaks because I never smelled or saw anything that would point me in that direction.

Would the leak indicate the need for a new water pump? If so, the manual seems that there is not much to swapping it out. Drain, replace, fill…..

Why does the manual tell you to drain the oil when replacing the water pump?

Any advice or tips are appreciated

Rich

Attachments

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
had to replace the waterpump on my 04 for the same reason...but it was still under warranty so the dealer did it.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I need to buy a torque wrench, if I find that the bolts are lose maybe I can just tighten them to specs and that may do the trick…… ya probably not. I’ll clean her up good in the morning, and then let her run a bit and see if I can tell exactly where the leak is coming from….. maybe the dealer has one in stock……

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I would pressure test the system first to make sure that is the only culprit even though its pretty obvious. But if you are going to replace the gasket you might as well put a new pump in there. Makes no sense to do the same work twice.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine had the same stuff when I bought it used.
See my story here:
http://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33191

I took a brush and cleaned the fark out of it, and was able to tighten a couple of the hoses.
It hasn't returned in about 4000 miles / 1 season of riding.
Thanks Mike…. I’ll clean her up, check the hoses and torque. If I find where it is coming from then maybe I can get away with just tightening things down…..

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I cleaned her up, brought the temp up to about 200F. There is a drip accumulated at the six o’clock position where the water pump cover meets the water pump body (seal). Only one drop for the several minutes it was running.

There is a second drop, again at the six o’clock position on the water pump body (housing) closest to the engine so I can not see the area well.

I recon I should replace the housing and impeller, which may just be know as the water pump?

BTW as far as the torque settings….. 9.8 N-m or 87in-lb. Is that less that one foot pound? I bought a torque ratchet that is 10-100 ft lbs…..

Thanks again for all your help.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After looking at the micro fiche view I see that there is a small round gasket or “O” ring where the housing meets the engine. That “O” ring may be the culprit. I ordered the water pump which includes the ring and will get it next week…. The cooling system needs to be flushed anyways…..

Does any one know when it calls for 87in-lb is less than one foot pound? Bueller? Bueller?

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
After looking at the micro fiche view I see that there is a small round gasket or “O” ring where the housing meets the engine. That “O” ring may be the culprit. I ordered the water pump which includes the ring and will get it next week…. The cooling system needs to be flushed anyways…..

Does any one know when it calls for 87in-lb is less than one foot pound? Bueller? Bueller?
Sorry I didn't post earlier AK, but think you just have a small leak at the clamp on the water pump...I went through the same thing last year and pulled the pump...I even bought the o-ring....but after careful examination I determined it was the hose and clamps not the pump itself...I even told the dealer to keep the o-ring in stock and never picked it up.:headshake

This is what I did...I removed the pump..inspected it for leaks using my Air compressor and such..saw the hose ends where to elastic..cut some of the ends off and re-installed...no leaks since then...same pump....if you can check out the same stuff maybe you can return it :dontknow:...but I like you really thought the pump was out and it wasn't :badteeth:

bl0o

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry I didn't post earlier AK, but think you just have a small leak at the clamp on the water pump...I went through the same thing last year and pulled the pump...I even bought the o-ring....but after careful examination I determined it was the hose and clamps not the pump itself...I even told the dealer to keep the o-ring in stock and never picked it up.:headshake

This is what I did...I removed the pump..inspected it for leaks using my Air compressor and such..saw the hose ends where to elastic..cut some of the ends off and re-installed...no leaks since then...same pump....if you can check out the same stuff maybe you can return it :dontknow:...but I like you really thought the pump was out and it wasn't :badteeth:

bl0o
I will check the hoses closer when the water pump gets here incase I have to replace the water pump. I inspected them and the clamps and they seem to be in good shape. The hoses appear to not have had any antifreeze about them and the clamps were tight. I will further inspect them once I remove the water pump. I will probably go ahead and replace the water pump since it will be here and available next week.

I just want to fricken ride…. You’re spoiled in that you can ride for the most part, year round. I have not ridden in about seven months… f’n snow. It’s getting about riding season finally this year…. The snow held on pretty late this year…… crossing my fingers by Saturday, I’m riding. I may have to strap a gallon of antifreeze to the back for refills…. :badteeth:

Thanks for the input….. Rich

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I will check the hoses closer when the water pump gets here incase I have to replace the water pump. I inspected them and the clamps and they seem to be in good shape. The hoses appear to not have had any antifreeze about them and the clamps were tight. I will further inspect them once I remove the water pump. I will probably go ahead and replace the water pump since it will be here and available next week.

I just want to fricken ride…. You’re spoiled in that you can ride for the most part, year round. I have not ridden in about seven months… f’n snow. It’s getting about riding season finally this year…. The snow held on pretty late this year…… crossing my fingers by Saturday, I’m riding. I may have to strap a gallon of antifreeze to the back for refills…. :badteeth:

Thanks for the input….. Rich
totally understand...when you stop a rider from riding for long periods of time especially if it's a 10R take no chances...just get it done whatever it is and ride. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts