Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is the right section, but anyways, I've noticed that whenever I park my bike at my house, I wake up the next morning to see a small puddle of coolant right under the bike where it's dripped down from the bellypan. Upon closer inspection I noticed that a few of the bolts on the water cooler had a white crust on them, indicating dried up coolant. I went ahead and let the bike run for a couple minutes, turned it off, and sure enough there was some coolant leaking from the water pump towards the bottom where's it sealed together.

My question is.. does the water pump housing have a seal/oring on the inside if I open it up? If so is it replaceable? I checked all the bolts, and they're all nice and tight with no play in them. I checked the pricing on a new water pump and they have it for around $160 online, is there a cheaper solution to this? Any type of compound I could use to prevent it from leaking out like that?

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
im pretty sure its replaceable but i would find somone who has done that one before. but it sounds like its just to full and u need to drain some of the coolant out.

·
Registered
322 Posts
My question is.. does the water pump housing have a seal/oring on the inside if I open it up? If so is it replaceable? I checked all the bolts, and they're all nice and tight with no play in them. I checked the pricing on a new water pump and they have it for around $160 online, is there a cheaper solution to this? Any type of compound I could use to prevent it from leaking out like that?
My 04 race bike had this too after three 6 hour endurance races. I had to change the water pump, there's no seal/o ring option.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I have a few loose ones that I can look at, and take pictures of, if it will help. It would need to be tonight since I'm at work now.

I wonder if they have a leak hole like car water pumps to indicate when the bearing seal is no longer working.

I have a coolant system pressure tester and it has been my favorite tool for decades. That would tell you where the leak is, but, I'm not sure if it would work on a bike. I'm not familiar with the radiator cap on the bike chassis. Might be different from a normal car rad cap.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's nice having a dad who's an engineer, I told him the issue and he just told me to give him the water pump and he'll take it to work, make measurements, and make a new o-ring for me, woot. Thanks for the help, and for the pic especially, I showed him that first to see if it's possible instead of taking the whole thing apart and he said it'll be no problem =)

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Might want to check out this thread as well:

http://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=72743

I have been having Heating problems for many years. I tried watter wetter, Engine ICE, Toggle Switch different coolants but last year I when I put the system UNDER PRESSURE I found out my weep hole in the Water Pump was leaking Air and Hose clamps where loose as well. I put some strong Nasa type tape over the hole and pressurized the system again.....than the Bike ran really cool so I know what an Air leak in the system can do to these bikes and it wasn't just a sensor going bad or other problems.

So since I have been a procrastinator in installing my new good used pump I noticed lately the temps are going up again quick at stop lights and also noticed a small drip again that I now know is from the weep hole it all lines up when air escapes the bike will raise in temps. The fan don't do squat once it's up to 210deg it just prolongs the HIGH RISE in temps if you just sit there. I will be replacing my water pump hopefully this weekend but I have a Valve Job to do as well but that is a priority. I reported this on another Thread so here it is again.......go to Kragen and Rent a Pressure tester and Ask for the HONDA 45mm Adaptor. At 21psi it should hold but if it's dropping then you have an Air leak somewhere. It could be a hose clamp it could be a Water Pump going bad like mine but I feel in normal weather(under 80deg) your bike should not get to the point you get close to the WARNING flashing. :

Use the Manual to show you what PSI the system should be at and how to bleed the system. Don't forget to test the Radiator Cap as well.

Bloo

·
Registered
678 Posts
I want say there is an internal one also. Mine was leaking before I rebuilt my motor. I replaced eveything. Mine leaked exactly where yours did.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I want say there is an internal one also. Mine was leaking before I rebuilt my motor. I replaced eveything. Mine leaked exactly where yours did.
There is an Internal O-ring but that is not part of the Coolant System the Weep Hole is and a is built for a Warning Your Coolant pump is Failing.

bloo

·
Registered
678 Posts
Ill have to take a look at mine then. When you are saying hot what temp were you hitting while stoppped. I know since the rebuild no more leaky and I replaced gaskets. It leaked pretty good before hand.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Ill have to take a look at mine then. When you are saying hot what temp were you hitting while stoppped. I know since the rebuild no more leaky and I replaced gaskets. It leaked pretty good before hand.
I hit 210+ then It climbs if I sit to long 3mins + the Fan just slows the rise.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I hope this is the right section, but anyways, I've noticed that whenever I park my bike at my house, I wake up the next morning to see a small puddle of coolant right under the bike where it's dripped down from the bellypan. Upon closer inspection I noticed that a few of the bolts on the water cooler had a white crust on them, indicating dried up coolant. I went ahead and let the bike run for a couple minutes, turned it off, and sure enough there was some coolant leaking from the water pump towards the bottom where's it sealed together.

thats the water pump gasket that tasos posted up, ive replaced mine before cuz it was leaking. thank goodness i dont have to replace that one again, unlike the valve cover gasket. another known issue with the 1st gens. if you suspect thats where the fluid is escaping, replace the gasket, problem solved, its pretty easy to do.

·
Registered
67 Posts

Dude, i haded the same problem. I end p buying a new oem water pump for $105. But when i told the old one out and notice that it just a bad oring. :BangHead:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts