Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So every now and then someone comes along with the water in the tank thread from what I've searched...so here is another one. Parked up outside 2 days ago and if anyone remembers Wednesday, rain came down very hard in the northeast from 2-6pm. Very simple, bike on street uncovered, rain thru gas cap (not air tight) and when I went to start it ...no deal! Oh and FYI the Fuel Pump Priming did sound like SHIT not the normal sound so it start up then shut right off. it's happened before once so i gassed it a lil and rode off no issues...not today. To make matters worse I opened up the gas cap (it stopped raining) and that fuggin overflow was filled with water and all of it went straight into the tank WTF!!! So yesterday on a long lunch from work I syphoned out the gas/water mix and put in new gas....still NO DEAL start then shut right off! Ok, I know what you guys are thinking FUEL PUMP FOOL...and I'm already on it. Fuel pump purchased from someone on the site 2 weeks ago (i bought it because i had doubts on the fuel pump from the first go round with the rain/gas cap and i know...perfect timing!) is at the post office with my name on it and will be installed tonight after work! Albeit it will be installed in expected downpour but what is a man to do? I can't leave the 10 parked up in NYC chained under a scaffold for too long and not expect the thieves to smell blood. IMAGINE UR 10 Parked in the major city near your house with the only protection is a CHAIN!!!! I'm getting chills just thinking about it! :eyecrazy:
So from 530-730 I will install fuel pump, dump gas i put in yesterday(it rained heavy this morning and even though the bike is under the scaffold i dont wanna take a chance with potential wind and the rain somehow get in an screw up new pump), and hopefully...ride off into the sunset.
This seems pretty straightforward as all was normal before the rain, but I have 8hours before the install so any ideas will help.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok so its an hour later and I just left the post office and I'm heading into work with fuel pump from .net member in hand! Now only 8 more hours till the install fingers crossed...

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Man a $15 tarp would have saved you the hassle...... But hey good luck with it

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A bike cover yes. Tarp no... The bums would have taken that within the first hour of it being out there and used it as a new roof. Not a bad idea in a different town.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I'd start to investigate the tank drain hose if you haven't already... Something is clogged somewhere.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
A bike cover yes. Tarp no... The bums would have taken that within the first hour of it being out there and used it as a new roof. Not a bad idea in a different town.
Dude you are hysterical... and it's funny cuz it's true. A tarp in NYC is a jacket or blanket or roof. A bike cover hmmm that would be a coat...

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Maybe run some seafoam with your gas, at least after it rains.
I haven't used it yet but a lot of people do swear by their products.

·
Registered
281 Posts
My bike sits in rain all the time at work (every day this year) and I never had an issue, or heard of this. Is it really a normal issue?

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
My bike sits in rain all the time at work (every day this year) and I never had an issue, or heard of this. Is it really a normal issue?
For some apparently but I had my bike out in the rain and elements for 2 years with no problems what so ever.

·
Registered
100 Posts
if you are sure its coming in around the cap i would look into a new cap .. mine dont see that much rain but i know i get water happy when it gets a bath and never had a problem .. i would think they shouldnt just let water pour in .. or not enough to cause issues no matter how much rain comes down

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok fellas so I got outta work at 6 ran downstairs it was raining like crazy which was good so at least it would be less people(police) around to look and question why some guy is working on a bike on the sidewalk on broadway in manhattan. in 30minutes i had the tank off with a careful inspection of the bike to ensure there was nothing else i could have missed. Next was to empty the gas i put in yesterday (it rained again heavily this morning and my bike got soaked cuz it was at the street side of the scaffolding) to not take a risk with the new fuel pump. Rain was still falling thankfully and I dumped the gasoline into the gutter and install the new fuel pump attached the tank to bike, seat, rear cowling and entered the new gas. after another hour of careful wrenching all was back together. I turned the key, flipped the switch, and pressed the button twice...WITH NO AVAIL! it didn't start up...but i knew better and sat on the old girl straightened her up and she remembered master and VROOOM....off into the sunset. THE END :thumbsup:

·
Registered
454 Posts
Ok fellas so I got outta work at 6 ran downstairs it was raining like crazy which was good so at least it would be less people(police) around to look and question why some guy is working on a bike on the sidewalk on broadway in manhattan. in 30minutes i had the tank off with a careful inspection of the bike to ensure there was nothing else i could have missed. Next was to empty the gas i put in yesterday (it rained again heavily this morning and my bike got soaked cuz it was at the street side of the scaffolding) to not take a risk with the new fuel pump. Rain was still falling thankfully and I dumped the gasoline into the gutter and install the new fuel pump attached the tank to bike, seat, rear cowling and entered the new gas. after another hour of careful wrenching all was back together. I turned the key, flipped the switch, and pressed the button twice...WITH NO AVAIL! it didn't start up...but i knew better and sat on the old girl straightened her up and she remembered master and VROOOM....off into the sunset. THE END :thumbsup:
maybe the end should be when you figure out why water is getting in your gas tank in the first place? :dontknow: hehe

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm having the same issue. Except I haven't ridden my bike in about a month dueto rain. So today I went to start it and then engine turns but no start. I did notice my Drain tube was bent and when I straighten it out like water came out. I was able to take some fuel out and I noticed another clear substance mixed with the fuel (water) so I'm going to empty the tank and put fresh fuel and hope it starts. My fuel pump does sound like shit I really don't want to buy one cuz well everything is expensive for this bike. Am I missi g anything here??

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sounds like you've got it. Anyone like the key less caps like vortex etc?

·
Registered
700 Posts
I’m a little confused. Why did you replace the pump.

Ok Water got into the tank. Cool get the water out and your set. A little water in the tank is not going to kill the pump.

First off, water is denser than gas so its going straight to the bottom. It will not mix. So you had a layer of water under the gas and were pumping water into the motor so it is not going to fire up. I would bet that when you pumped the gas out but did not get all the water out (actually the bowl in the fuel pump housing is the lowest spot of the tank so that is imposable to get to without taking it out) So when you put fresh gas in it just set on top on the water in the tank. Then you replaced the pump and dumped the gas you got the water out. The reason it took a min to fire up was the water in the gas line had to pump through the injectors before fresh gas could get there.

So here some ways to get the water out easier

1. Take the tank loose and prop it up. Then take off the fuel line and install a 3 foot piece of standard fuel line(1/4 inch). Push it on the fuel pump outlet. Run the line out the side and let the tank down. Now just toggle the engine start button and let it pump until all the water on the bottom of the tank gets pumped out. 5 min job

2. Go get some methanol and put a pint into the tank. What happens is methanol (or any alcohol for that matter) is hygroscopic meaning that is will absorb water. So the methanol will absorb the water but methanol will mix with gas. So what happens is the water gets distributed through the tank and get passed through the motor is very small amounts as the motor is running.

3. If lots of water got into the tank just take it off, dump the tank, Flush out the pump and go.

The reason the pump sounded louder is water is not a lubricant and gas is. so the pump was loud because it did not have anything to lube it. It would take a pretty long time to kill the pump and trying to start the bike a few times I’m sure the old pump is fine. Although the pumps are known to fail in theses bikes so anything is possible.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts