Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wat are the benefits of lowering a bike some people say its just for track i have an 04 zx10

·
MIdlife PIMP
3,459 Posts
lowering a bike is mainly just done in drag applications,.......doing it for road racing or track would defeat the purpose and handicap the suspension

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
helps keep the front wheel down. kills the handling though in the corners.

·
Registered
299 Posts
wat are the benefits of lowering a bike some people say its just for track i have an 04 zx10
hmm when you say track you mean drag strip track? Cause if that is the case it can help you a little bit at the take off but not really alot, Others do it cause there short or a style thing.

I'm 6'4 so you can best believe i am not lowering my bike.:lol:

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
umm im short and when i lowered mine i didnt feel a loss in handling that great... felt better to me i was lower and could touch both feet on the ground

·
Registered
916 Posts
I'm 5'10" and have both feet flat on the ground on mine stock hight and my knees are still bent, maybe some people have short legs? :dontknow:
other then that even with 5'8" you should be able to reach the ground on both sides easy.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
im 5'8 and thanks to my lightness (lack of mass) ill smash on any 6'0 or over rider on any stock bike (except 14zx or hybusas)

drag or track

midgets FTW!

and yes i did lower my bike for the street because i hate to flamingo it on the street (one leg stands suck) at stop lights

but when i ever raced track, i wouldnt lower the track bike because there are no stops on tracks

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
if you look at all professional riders, they are on the short size or are light weight if slightly tall. FOR EXAMPLE, Mat Mladin is 6'0 but only weights 165 lbs! http://www.superbikeplanet.com/f004.htm

im 5'8 and 150 lbs for reference

as you can see short people or skinny/light people have the advantage for street, drag, or track when it comes to acceleration due to lack of mass

if your too tall or weigh way too much, you also just kinda look funny on a litre bike, better off getting a zx14 or hybusa

so if you want to lower your bike for the street cuz your on the short side, DO IT! you will feel way more comftable and smarter than those 6'0 and over riders on stock tiny lil bikes. And when you hit the tracks, put it back to stock height cuz you always have the option if you get lowering links like i did (Vortex links to be exact)

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
Only do it if your going to be racing at your local strip cause you can kiss your track days good bye even though its easy to bring it back to stock lol, about 10 mins if you do it enough.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Only do it if your going to be racing at your local strip cause you can kiss your track days good bye even though its easy to bring it back to stock lol, about 10 mins if you do it enough.
also
when you put it back to stock height you must also readjust the suspension assuming you change the suspension settings to when you originally lowered the bike (which is a must). this can be very time consuming and irritating but once you have done it once you will not need to do it again because hopefully you will have remembered to write down the number of clicks for the suspension

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
track = stock height
street = your preference, if tall = stock height, if short = lower height
drag = lower height

the lower you go, the less clearance you have for turns but you will get increased stability and this is the reasoning for the above statement

1 - 11 of 11 Posts