Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Hell NO, he had a position of cover and already had drawn down. He easily had another second or two to be sure. Nothing there looked anything like a dangerous move, straight to jail...

·
Caedite Eos Novit Enim Do
2,461 Posts
Damn, dude wasn't doing anything but watching the other cop and his friend in front of him. this cop is clearly in the wrong on this deal.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Even if the guy had a gun, it was identified or pointed in the direction of either officers.. Ask any cop, just because you're holding a firearm, doesn't give you the green light to engage. I admit, cops do have to sometimes make split second decisions, but that's clearly an act of rage from the persuit and downright murder in my opinion..

·
Certified SLOW
3,131 Posts
That's ridiculous, guy is paralyzed because of that and at worst he could get 11 years? Eye for an eye, take his damn legs.

·
Registered
380 Posts
No it wasn't justified, If I however may play the devils advocate. I have been in a situation similar, albeit more intense than this situation as a boarding team member while in the military. When your adrenaline is running and you are on edge, a split second decision is tough to make especially when it is reactionary and not voluntary so to speak. However the officer made a bad call, and his trial is to determine responsibility for the trauma caused to the rider, which he will be found guilty of.

Its easy to say what he did wrong after watching the video and seeing all the facts, and Im not sticking up for the officer by any means, but just imagine for one second that you are in his shoes at that moment in time, puts it in another perspective, and you can see how a situation can escalate exponentially.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
he was already sentenced and only got a couple of years in jail for it.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Wow I can't stand people like the guys on the harley, but I hope that cop's life gets ruind for this. That pisses me off. I wish the biker well.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
A police officer needs to be able to read the situation and determine if there is a need to use deadly force. There is a lot of responsibility required when becoming an LEO and it is not for everyone... clearly. This was a routine traffic stop, those two guys were out for an evening cruise and dropped the hammer coming off a stop for a little drag race not realizing a squad car was right on there tail. The rookie cop probably misread the whole situation, over reacted thinking they were felons fleeing an earlier crime scene or were wanted on other charges and shot first asking questions later. This poor guy was not exhibiting the behavior of a hardened felon fleeing a crime scene. For one thing, a fleeing felon doesn't pull over when the sirens comes one, he runs. These guys pulled over immediately, he was just sitting on his bike with his back to the LEO when the guy blew him away.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Good point about him thinking they were running. especially when the guy jumped the curb. I still think this is a horrible situation, and the cop was unjustified, but goes to show there's always another side to your story.

·
formerly GHOST RIDER
2,131 Posts
Here's my view: Cop over reacted..
The running from the cops arguement ? He stopped :headshake
The 2nd. guy crashed due to riders error..
I'd been in a situation before when a CHP "Cali. Highway Patrol" pulled me over for doing 100+..It took me a while to look back and saw the disco lights and it took me a while to come to a safe stop at the speed. He didn't jump on my ass or pulled a gun on me and yes it was at night. Like him I didn't give any indication that I was a threat to him.
JMHO..

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
More on the story including testimony by ex-officer White and the victim. The victim said the bike was still in gear and he couldn't put his hands up instantly or the bike would have fallen on him. The officer also refused to help move the 900 pound machine off of him and the exhaust burned through his leg. Officer White, it turns out, was a part timer for Ottawas Hills, a community not known for tolerance to any one not living there. I'm not from Ohio so I don't know, maybe some of you guys are familiar with the town and the cops attitudes there.

http://www.toledoonthemove.com/news/story.aspx?id=457181

·
Registered
289 Posts
No it wasn't justified, If I however may play the devils advocate. I have been in a situation similar, albeit more intense than this situation as a boarding team member while in the military. When your adrenaline is running and you are on edge, a split second decision is tough to make especially when it is reactionary and not voluntary so to speak. However the officer made a bad call, and his trial is to determine responsibility for the trauma caused to the rider, which he will be found guilty of.

Its easy to say what he did wrong after watching the video and seeing all the facts, and Im not sticking up for the officer by any means, but just imagine for one second that you are in his shoes at that moment in time, puts it in another perspective, and you can see how a situation can escalate exponentially.
Dude, that's just crazy! How can you even say a word in defence of that copper?!
If he couldn't stand the heat, he should've got out of the kitchen - clearly he didn't have what it took to do the job in the first place.

Seeing as he took the guys legs away, he should have his testicles taken out. It wouldn't make things even, but would stop spreading his clearly moronic genes around.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yeah, this is just a sucky situation... I definitely agree what others are saying that the cop was NOT justified at all.. and also agree that this should be treated as attempted murder, not assault. Think of this same situation if two dudes were out with their sport cars or something... They take off real fast, cop pulls them over.. they stop... cop gets out and f-ing shoots the driver... wtf? call that assault? And, he shot him in the spine, no less... I'm sure the cop knows what he did was wrong and regrets it, but that doesn't really change the fact that he needs to be punished for taking the legs from a 24 year old. In 11 years (probably more like 2 or something) when he gets out of jail, that kid will still be paralyzed. The dad of the 24 year old has more self control than I do though... if I saw that video of my son getting shot, and the dude that shot him was sitting in the same room... I'm not sure I'd have the strength to just leave.

On a side note, I've been riding for only 6 years and not yet been pulled over on my bike.. I think when that happens, I might just put my hands on my helmet till the cop says I can take them down.

·
aka kwakrider
412 Posts
Its my opinion, no wait I take that back , its fact they will give any jackwagon a badge and a gun. This isnt the first case and wont be the last.one bad apple dont spoil the whole bunch it just makes it harder to find one that aint rotton.how ya like them apples.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
This cop should be thrown away for life...to so casually try to murder someone with their back to him. How is it not attempted murder again? I thought that a LEO is taught to only shoot to kill, not to wound. You don't even pull the piece unless you are prepared to use it and end a life. If deadly force is called for (in this case it certainly WAS NOT called for) then the LEO is trying to kill you. Just another instance of the double standard. I would suggest public execution...and make his LEO friends watch. I know that is harsh, but when I watch this video it seems fitting IMO.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts