Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have had a buzzing somewhere in the ignition switch area of my 06 10r since about 500 miles...after 2600 miles it has progressively gotten worse.

Here is the skinny from Kawasaki here in Vegas...the round bolt heads that mount on the bottom of the ignition switch are the problem...the bolt heads are sheared off at the manufacturer to reduce chances of theft from this location...Kawasaki is going to fix the problem under warranty coverage by sending new bolts which will be installed.

pictures attached for the bolt location

Attachments

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
sure send pics if you could. im curious to see if your bolts look like mine. i have only noticed a buzz when gas is near empty

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Sounds like the Torque to Shear rating on those bolts heads are too low allowing the bolt heads to shear off at low tension causing the ign cylinder to become loose.

It is not a bad job, pull the upper drill out the old bolts and replace with new ones.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the bolt heads are sheared off at the factory...the mechanic told me he can't tighten them up without new bolts...kawi already had previous calls about other bikes with the same problem...i am still looking for my camera for pics

·
Registered
203 Posts
if they are sheared how the F*** are they gonna change them?:lol: boy thats gonna suck:headshake

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have had the same problem with mine and the only way I was able to fix it was to install a boz bros exhaust! But still can hear once in a while over the pipe if you can believe that.

·
Registered
788 Posts
both of those shear bolts came out of my roommates zx12, does anyone know the size and pitch of those?

·
Registered
338 Posts
I am going to have to check and see if this is where my buzz is coming from.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it's kind of like going back to see the grill at your favorite local restaurant...i don't even want to know what the plan is to extract the original bolts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FYI...he did tell me if the key area needs replaced...the rider will have a separate key now for the ignition...which would really suck

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
my wasn't bad at first, but after 2000 miles it is unbearable...funny thing is...the mechanic thought i was full of it until he rode it down the road...he returned and called Kawaski right away

·
Registered
47 Posts
getting the old bolts out isn't actually that difficult. you take off the triple tree and you use a left handed drill bit and as you drill into the head of the bolt, they spin out. just takes a little time getting the triple tree off of the bike to do it.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I know people have been complaining for months about this. Can you visually see on your bike where the bolts are messed up? Or is that what Kawasaki told your dealer was the problem?

·
Registered
47 Posts
i was actually considering drilling them out and just putting regular bolts in there because i was going to get rid of the metal piece that the throttle cables run thru. i thought that maybe the noise was coming from that piece vibrating against the bottom of the ignition. i am still not convinced that the noise is not coming from that somehow. the bottom of the ignition has marks where the paint actually rubbed off. i used a screwdriver and kind of bent it away from the ignition, but sadly the noise is not gone. i hope we get to the bottom of this soon though, it is the only issue i have with it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Unfortunately, everything in that area contributes to the noise. I have tried taping the cable bracket and bending the tabs out as well. No solution. I have wedged something in the key slot with the key and the buzzing stops. I walked around the other new Ninja bikes and the keys all fit the same loose way. The Kawasaki tech with corporate or whoever he was, did say this will fix the problem. Lots of hope and finger crossing.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
vegas10r said:
Unfortunately, everything in that area contributes to the noise. I have tried taping the cable bracket and bending the tabs out as well. No solution. I have wedged something in the key slot with the key and the buzzing stops. I walked around the other new Ninja bikes and the keys all fit the same loose way. The Kawasaki tech with corporate or whoever he was, did say this will fix the problem. Lots of hope and finger crossing.
:werd:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts