Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some things repaired on my bike and the stealership tech said that my rear brake rotor was warped.

I also noticed the rear brake pad was worn down... He said that if I just replace the pads, I'll end up having to replace them very soon because of the rotor.

So I've been looking at aftermarket rotors, such as Galfer. Would I gain anything from going this route vs. the OEM rotor?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,558 Posts
Yeah, you'll most likely gain a bit of performance based on the metal used in the rotor for stopping power and cooling, but also in some weight loss. That being said, gains will be minimal at best. Especially on the rear.

I'd also question the diagnosis of rotor warping. Those days are behind us and a solid, drilled, semi-floating rotor is VERY unlikely to warp this day and age. People throw this term around around all the time to describe the issue of uneven pad deposits on the rotor and is a very different phenomenon.

If it were my bike and wallet, I'd put new OEM pads on it, clean the caliper and pistons really well, hit the rotor surface with a scrotchbrite pad lightly, and then bed-in the new pads aggressively and call it done.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, you'll most likely gain a bit of performance based on the metal used in the rotor for stopping power and cooling, but also in some weight loss. That being said, gains will be minimal at best. Especially on the rear.

I'd also question the diagnosis of rotor warping. Those days are behind us and a solid, drilled, semi-floating rotor is VERY unlikely to warp this day and age. People throw this term around around all the time to describe the issue of uneven pad deposits on the rotor and is a very different phenomenon.

If it were my bike and wallet, I'd put new OEM pads on it, clean the caliper and pistons really well, hit the rotor surface with a scrotchbrite pad lightly, and then bed-in the new pads aggressively and call it done.
You know, I was kind of thinking along the lines you are with this one.

I think that's what I'll do. If I notice any uneven/abnormal wear, then I'll just replace the rotor.

Thanks for the input.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts