Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Certified SLOW
3,131 Posts
What has Kawasaki said about this problem?
Why isnt Kawasaki repairing the defective frames?
Is there a 'recall' on the effected bikes?
Has the 'National Transportation and Safety Administration' (NTSB) been notified?
If no, why not!? They have the power to force Kawasaki to 'Fix'it".
No recall and they have been replacing them (even out of warranty) for people that have not wrecked them.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
What has Kawasaki said about this problem?
Why isnt Kawasaki repairing the defective frames?
Is there a 'recall' on the effected bikes?
Has the 'National Transportation and Safety Administration' (NTSB) been notified?
If no, why not!? They have the power to force Kawasaki to 'Fix'it".
1. Kawi has been replacing the frames
2. No recall since the frame doesn't just crack under normal operation...It cracks from wheelies and wrecks...This is a result of trying to make the bike light
3. Fix what? abuse and off road antics

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Checked my 04 and there are no cracks. I did notice there are several points the motor mounts bolt to the frame. Would the cracking be due to improper torque or loosening over time (besides the wheelies and abuse)? I have had my motor out and was thinking that all the mounting points were re-tightened and that could possibly be why mine hasn't cracked.:dontknow:

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Well, I'm gonna put a faux carbon fiber paint job on my frame and swingarm..

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
There was a tech bulletin from Kawasaki saying they were torquing motor mounts in the wrong order and it was pinching the frame. I have no idea if this is what is affecting them or if it was just a weak product. I'm thinking the latter..

It's a shame, I don't think there are many liters that feel like this. I'll truly miss my on track action with this beast whenever I get sick of dealing with this

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
There was a tech bulletin from Kawasaki saying they were torquing motor mounts in the wrong order and it was pinching the frame. I have no idea if this is what is affecting them or if it was just a weak product. I'm thinking the latter..

It's a shame, I don't think there are many liters that feel like this. I'll truly miss my on track action with this beast whenever I get sick of dealing with this
Where did you get that info bro?

·
Registered
667 Posts
March '04 mfg date,

29,759 miles,

one 70mph broadside hit on a deer

too many wheelies to count

a few dragstrip runs

a couple trackdays

no sign of cracking

:dontknow:

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
:bump: TTT

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
bump to keep up top

·
Registered
6,040 Posts

·
Registered
23,742 Posts
I have both Motor Mounts off right now just checked mine thoroughly WHEW!!!! no cracks bike was bought in April 2004 ~40kmiles and many drag strip tire lifting runs, lots of power wheelies but nothing major. I just meet another rider local in my neighborhood I will have him check as well he may be over today.

Bloo

·
Registered
298 Posts
05 too.

I just paint mine.

If you paint one, be sure to mask off any areas a bolt sits or the face of the subframe mounts. The fasteners will loosen off because the paint will flake after it's torqued. Same for the nuts on the swingarm pivot.

How hard was it taking the frame off and putting it back together im thinking of buying a new frame.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
How hard was it taking the frame off and putting it back together im thinking of buying a new frame.

It's not terrible to do, it seems to go back together much quicker than it comes apart. Two solid weekends of work depending on your skill level should get it done. The only special tool I ordered was for the swingarm nut. Make sure you have a torque wrench as well.

·
Registered
298 Posts
It's not terrible to do, it seems to go back together much quicker than it comes apart. Two solid weekends of work depending on your skill level should get it done. The only special tool I ordered was for the swingarm nut. Make sure you have a torque wrench as well.

With me my dad and my neighbors skill level we might be able to get it done but as luck would have it my dads in the market for a new bike and is going to he taking out a loan and he just thought that maybe we can get the shop to add the labor charges for the 10 to what ever bike he buys. Im real stubborn about my gen 1 i dont want anything but that bike.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I can remove and reassemble one in an evening. It isn't that bad.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts