Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have been thinking about this almost every night before fall asleep. Even though not everybody might be on the same page as I am, but to those who seem to have the answer to almost everything in this forum are welcome for their opinions. I've been hearing a lot that the new 10r will need the race ecu to bypass the restriction. Besides from price, this kinda upsets me. Even though I already intended on purchasing a race ecu for this bike but not to just get power that was restricted but for the same reason as anyone else would get a race ecu for there UNRESTRICTED bike. On the otherside there has been talks that the restriction can be bypassed by some trick wiring or whatever. Now that seems more appealing to me, even though it may risk voiding the warranty. My question/concern is that while the other manufactures make a descent sportbike and later a race ecu is release for more performance, why couldn't the same be applied to this new 10r? Can someone please tell me or make an educated guess if the race ecu will just unrestrict the 10r or deliver more performance as if I was to installing it on a euro 10r? If I'm not making any sense then just say so, I would love to clarify. I'm losing sleep on this.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I think these are the questions all of us have had running through our minds. The only thing to do at the point is wait until members start popping up with the new 10's. Right now its all just speculation, unless Kawi has a technical engineer hiding in our member's list, lol. I'm with you, it sucks getting shafted on the hp side of the bike, but atleast they are shipping the exact same bike, minus unregulated ecu. Chances are we are going to see more and more of this in the future.....

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mean with the euro 10r and the beemer, the 10r obviously owns the beemer. GREAT! But, just as the beemer can make mods to get more ponies out of its powerful engine, I would like to make mods just as the beemer minus worring about getting restricted power back. Getting the power back by getting a race ecu is kinda of a set-back, or just redundant. I mean................. isn't it?

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
It'll be the way to go cause you won't need to get a pc and it'll make more power than the supposed stock 10r

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
You will be able to do more with the kit ecu than freeing up some ponies. Air/fuel, timing, quick shifter connection, probably mess with traction control and ABS settings and turn them off, launch controll etc. Yes it is a marketing plan for Kawi to make more money, but if you plan on buying a Bazzaz or PC5, you may as well get a kit ecu. What will cost an arm and a leg, and has been the issue is the cord you have to buy to connect a laptop to the ecu to tune it. The current one for 2nd and 3rd gen is around $600. You gotta pay to play :cool: Just buy a slip on and some good rubber and go to bed, no need to loose any sleep over it. Some body will figure out what wire to connect to what wire or bypass to do what the kit ecu will do to free up that hp. I wouldnt be in any rush to buy the new bike, its got to prove what it can do on the track and on this forum from new owners before I'd buy it. BTW the current kit ecu for 2nd and 3rd gen bikes voids the warrenty now, i dont see that changing with the 2011

·
Registered
222 Posts
this is crazed. losing sleep? I like bikes and all, but damn! don't worry about things you cant control!

my impression is that the rev limit has been lowered for north america so you cannot access the peak HP attainable elsewhere. if the rev limiter can be raised in the ECU (or replaced by race ecu), the engine internals are the same so you will be able to hit peak horsepower. we wont know what kawasaki implements until the bike is released and people start to tinker with it. it may be easy, it may be hard. but it will void your warranty...

either way, the bike is likely to be pretty fast as-is...so I wouldnt lose TOO much sleep. how much time are you spending banging through the gears to redline?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You will be able to do more with the kit ecu than freeing up some ponies. Air/fuel, timing, quick shifter connection, probably mess with traction control and ABS settings and turn them off, launch controll etc. Yes it is a marketing plan for Kawi to make more money, but if you plan on buying a Bazzaz or PC5, you may as well get a kit ecu. What will cost an arm and a leg, and has been the issue is the cord you have to buy to connect a laptop to the ecu to tune it. The current one for 2nd and 3rd gen is around $600. You gotta pay to play :cool: Just buy a slip on and some good rubber and go to bed, no need to loose any sleep over it. Some body will figure out what wire to connect to what wire or bypass to do what the kit ecu will do to free up that hp. I wouldnt be in any rush to buy the new bike, its got to prove what it can do on the track and on this forum from new owners before I'd buy it. BTW the current kit ecu for 2nd and 3rd gen bikes voids the warrenty now, i dont see that changing with the 2011
this is crazed. losing sleep? I like bikes and all, but damn! don't worry about things you cant control!

my impression is that the rev limit has been lowered for north america so you cannot access the peak HP attainable elsewhere. if the rev limiter can be raised in the ECU (or replaced by race ecu), the engine internals are the same so you will be able to hit peak horsepower. we wont know what kawasaki implements until the bike is released and people start to tinker with it. it may be easy, it may be hard. but it will void your warranty...

either way, the bike is likely to be pretty fast as-is...so I wouldnt lose TOO much sleep. how much time are you spending banging through the gears to redline?
First off YES I do lose sleep over this. I eat, sleep, and masturbate bikes............................ Yep, I said it.

Second, Thank you for the info, it will help. I don't mind paying to play a little, I just wouldn't want to be throwing money around for non-existant ponies. I just want a bike that'll make that'll own the beemer, is that too much to ask for.:sad:

·
Registered
770 Posts
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but im

but a piggy back wont do anything at all for the kit ecu. The kit ecu has all the features and more than a pc or bazazz. it would be like an AEM ecu for a sports car. you don't add a piggy back because they have everything built into the stand alone that you need so you can achieve the performance you want.

that's in simple terms while half drunk..hope it made some sense

·
Registered
530 Posts
Where is all this ECU replacement coming from. Kawi has always had a jumper mod for any bike they advertise as restricted. It will be a quick easy fix.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Where is all this ECU replacement coming from. Kawi has always had a jumper mod for any bike they advertise as restricted. It will be a quick easy fix.
hell if i know i was just answering the kit ecu question..im not really thinking about the 2011 until mine arrives..till then it's kind of meh

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
See if I do that AND a race ecu, then I'm good to go. That's the mods I want to do to get that "beemer beater" performance. Ya I'm on the look out to see if this can be done on the 2011 10r.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts

I would like to see the facts to support this statement please.

·
Registered
530 Posts
On the 05 through I think 08 zx6r's that were noise restricted kawi had a jumper mod that restored powe to uro specs. I've heard rumers Kawi is going to leak a jumper mod to this bike also. I also read somewhere yesterday that the restriction was -750 rpm on top. There's so many rumers right now about the power hit I'm just saying there's another possibility. I don't think there's any way kawi wouldn't let us have a jumper mod on this bike for "Track use". hopefully I'm not wrong.

http://www.i-hacked.com/content/view/165/45/

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
On the 05 through I think 08 zx6r's that were noise restricted kawi had a jumper mod that restored powe to uro specs. I've heard rumers Kawi is going to leak a jumper mod to this bike also. I also read somewhere yesterday that the restriction was -750 rpm on top. There's so many rumers right now about the power hit I'm just saying there's another possibility. I don't think there's any way kawi wouldn't let us have a jumper mod on this bike for "Track use". hopefully I'm not wrong.

http://www.i-hacked.com/content/view/165/45/

Thank you for clearing that up.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts