Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, all the guys I'm recently riding with now have 2017/2018 S1000RR and I believe one guy who I haven't seen yet, has the new 2017 ZX10. I need/want to keep up or pass these guys on my 2011 ZX10R. Not sure what I'm searching for here to avoid asking directly what I can do/upgrade for more power/faster. If there are threads I can be pointed to or if anyone can just give me some pointers, that would be great.

Really all I have in terms of upgrades which don't necessarily help is BMC air filter, ECU flashed by Archer a while back, and TaylorMade exhaust. I know that maybe a full system would be a benefit, not sure that I'd want to swap the Taylor exhaust since I love the look. Can I use "Better/Different" headers for more performance? What else can I do with bolt-ons without touching the motor? I'm thinking Dyno would help, any recommendations in the NYC or NJ area where I'm close to?
Note: If I must dive into the motor, what's first, the cam, like on a car motor?

Also, I'm going to replace the clutch, any solid recommendations? I've read installations of different brands, but all of them were mainly at the point of install. I saw that EBC for instance doesn't have different friction plates like the stock clutch does. Any difference in that?

So, I'm hoping to have all this done while its down time right now and since hopefully I may see a dollar from the tax returns, hoping might have a few pennies to spend on parts.

Thanks in advance everyone.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The Taylor made exhaust is shit. A friend of mine was going to do some trade work for the owner of Taylormade. My friend got a free exhaust from the owner of Taylormade and put it on his 2009 Cbr1000. It made the bike run like shit and he had a loss of power on the mid to top end powerband. The Taylormade pipe is made for looks only. No race testing or tuning for power. Dump it. Then get some riding lessons...... Unless you are dragging in a staight line. And even then experience and rider skills RULE. I stomp 1000cc bikes in the canyons on my 2013 Zx6r all day long. Power doesn't mean shit unless you can use it effectively.

·
Registered
461 Posts
it maybe easier and cheaper to just sell the 2011 and get something newer to compete with these newer gen bikes. unless you want to start rebuilding the engine/nos/turbo/quickshifter.

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
Change the gearing...my buddy has a S1000RR and I beat him to about 120 all the time...I am up 2 in the back. I have the stock converter with shorty Akra slip on. But also have reflash and custom map, removed secondaries. I'm at 184 RWHP. Lots of bottom end and midrange.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,970 Posts
Mo power! Just add about 10 stickers to each side of the bike. The ones that add the most HP are the "K&N", "NOS", and "Vortex" decals. The "Monster Energy" ones don't add nearly enough.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,970 Posts
Seriously, the recommendations above my posts are the best ones. But it depends on what kind of riding you're doing. Topspeed? Acceleration? Street? Road course? Dragstrip?

The first thing I would tell you is to regear that thing. Bolt on a +2 rear sprocket and see what you get. You need to make better use of the power you have rather than worrying about bolt-on parts for the motor.

Reactions: realpsi

·
Registered
718 Posts
So my gen has:

Sprint filter
Velocity stacks
Ecu flash and fuel tune
-1 +1 sprockets
Graves exhaust, no car etc

I had no major issues with new r1's or the new aprilia rsv4 rf

Be lighter than they are ad learn to clutchless shift.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
think your best bet is to buy a gen5.

I have a gen4 with degree cams, flash, full exh, filter... and Im not there with the gen5 power (flash + slip on).

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
You say without opening the motor & only bolt on's mmmmm that's a tough call to be on Parr with the latest S1000RR & 10RR I expect they also will be adding filters , systems & flashed tunes EHH . The best you can do is a good full system with filter add a quick shifter, & spend on a really good tune as Archer suggested Then it'll be down too your riding win the edge.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
flash ecu 10 times, that's good for 10hp per flash and add super air filter that's another 20hp, led lights and power commander another 20hp, more if you tune per led.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,970 Posts
flash ecu 10 times, that's good for 10hp per flash and add super air filter that's another 20hp, led lights and power commander another 20hp, more if you tune per led.

I feel completely inept at this point. I had no idea you could tune it per LED. What have I been doing with my life up to this point? :bash:

·
Registered
2,161 Posts

I feel completely inept at this point. I had no idea you could tune it per LED. What have I been doing with my life up to this point? :bash:
I was just trying to fit in, with all the dumbest threads about lightest steel sprockets and the usual idiotic mail in "custom" ecu flashing, it's like watching McLaren Honduh race.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I was just trying to fit in, with all the dumbest threads about lightest steel sprockets and the usual idiotic mail in "custom" ecu flashing, it's like watching McLaren Honduh race.
Its not like you have to read those threads or even be here if you dislike it that much.:dontknow: Why just continue to post surly comments if only to take jabs at people? I dig your builds/threads man and have thought about hitting you up about MS info before but i didnt because i figured id get all attitude and 2% info. Watching F1's paint dry is a pretty hefty jab at forum mem's as im all to familiar with that shit show. Many times ive wanted to be a dick around here - and i have (especially in dead of winter lol), plenty, but ive also tried to reign it in a bit too...or just not post. I mean, damn i cant reply to EVERY Scout comment! :badteeth: ...Man i thought I was surly - lets get a beer sometime!

·
Registered
751 Posts
I'm disappointed in the sticker recommendations. :-( Seriously, no Type-R , VTEC, or Hayabusa emblem recommendations. Posers! You want to talk about fast, but won't do the work to get there. ;-)

Reactions: gaz

·
Registered
751 Posts
Full exhaust, -1 +2, a really good tune for your bike, quick throttle and an air filter with some proof it works. This is not the fastest combination or the most you can do, but it is the cheapest best bang for money spent. The recommendations above are excellent, I wouldn't do more than head work, degree cams, and thinner head gasket.

Next lose weight either you, the bike, or a combo of the two. Then figure out how to get more aero dynamic. At high triple digits stream lining the air around you will make up for a lack of horsepower.

Learn to ride, practice getting to full throttle and always let off when you're ahead. :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts