Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so this is bad but after i got the turbo onthe bike , 189 mph comes way way way to fast and the bike wants so much more , i dont want to go with a gear setup for like the salt flats , this bike is a street bike, but i have to have more top end , what if i dropped the rear 2 and went up 1 in the front , would that be a good combo , , is there a system for the front and the rear sprocket ? or should i say rule of thumb ? id really like to see over 200and then some i dont want to loose too much low end though so , any thoughts would be great

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
what gearing do you have now?

·
Registered
62 Posts
189mph + street bike - why would you want more top end ?!

-rear and +front will get you more top end speed but you will loose pick up at the bottom end. This can make a bike hard to live with when riding on the street especially with turbo lag.

-2 rear and +1 front is a big step in gearing (about the same at -4 or more in the rear),so why not try +1 first (cheap mod) and see how it goes from there?

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
189mph + street bike - why would you want more top end ?!

-rear and +front will get you more top end speed but you will loose pick up at the bottom end. This can make a bike hard to live with when riding on the street especially with turbo lag.

-2 rear and +1 front is a big step in gearing (about the same at -4 or more in the rear),so why not try +1 first (cheap mod) and see how it goes from there?
I had the same thoughts to begin with but wanted to see where he was already with gearing. Also, the speedometer will stop at 186 or 189, right around there.

Chuck, are you GPS'ing your speed to see what the actual speed is?

I would try stock gearing and see how you like that, if youre not there already. If not, +1 front OR -2 rear. Not both though. Youre going to lose a fair amount of bottom end feeling with that kind of gearing though.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
gearcommander.com is your friend.

I agree baby steps. When tuning change one thing at time. It makes it easier to see what your doing. Change the front sprocket first because it changes largest effect. If your want more or less gear you can always go a tooth in the either direction in the rear.

my gen2 is geared down and will read 189 and stop. GPS it to find out what your actually doing.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im running stck gears . not gps jusr spedo reading . the question ! why more? its got a turbo lol but just my preference

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
like.the idea go up 1 in the front and see how that goes . small steps

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
definently give the +1 a shot, and get your speed GPS'ed too because it stops reading at 189 no matter how much power and gearing you throw at it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea it sucks it only reads up to 189 , so gonna check into something that will be permantally on the bike for true speed

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
if you have a smart phone, you could run a GPS app and mount in on the triple tree or you could get an aftermarket speedo and set it up to run off of wheel speed. would take some calculations based on tire size and wheel diameter and such, but could be do-able.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea im thinking of doing that for now but would like something small and permanent later ,

·
Registered
226 Posts
you can also get a speedo healer, then with that you can adjust your speedo to kph then re callibrate the speedo healer for the new sprockets. plus with that you can try all kinds of ratios and be able to dial them in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts