Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I am leaned over in a sweeper my bike will wallow a bit it's not consistent. Okay I am going a bit fast but just thought the bike should be more planted. Never had this issue with my 05 636. Now it does not stop me from staying on the gas but has my eyes open a little wider for sure.

I see this wallow sometimes when I am watching the AMA races. It's like something is allowing the bike to flex in the middle or something.

I had the sag set on the 08 10.

Could I turn the tripple thing bolts down to make the frontend lower. Would that help?

Help please

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Thats odd. My 08 is the most soild bike I have owned to date.

Are you still running the BT016's?

Does it wallow in left and right sweepers?

Are we talking about a smooth surface?

I think lowering the front would quicken your steering, possibly amplifying the problem.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
When I am leaned over in a sweeper my bike will wallow a bit it's not consistent. Okay I am going a bit fast but just thought the bike should be more planted. Never had this issue with my 05 636. Now it does not stop me from staying on the gas but has my eyes open a little wider for sure.

I see this wallow sometimes when I am watching the AMA races. It's like something is allowing the bike to flex in the middle or something.

I had the sag set on the 08 10.

Could I turn the tripple thing bolts down to make the frontend lower. Would that help?

Help please
what are these tripple thing bolts ?? :dontknow: I know there are some rebound and preload settings on the top but not to sure bout the tripple thing bolts ?? LOL sounds like he still has the stock settings set on it...

·
Registered
65 Posts
yeah man my buddy just went down with the same problem on his 09.....so you figure anything out on what to do let me know

·
Registered
47 Posts
My '08 had an unsettling feeling in turns when I first got it. I couldn't put my finger on it, then I read some info on Espens's page....there's a link on here somewhere....that goes over suspension behavior and things that may be affecting handling. I narrowed my problem down to too much fork stroke as the bike arrived stock....I had 5 1/2 lines showing preload. I went to 4 1/2 lines showing and the front end now feels planted, no more wallowing or acting funny when I let off the front brake after braking deep into a turn (adjust compression and rebound to taste). This put me at the low (numerically), or 'tight' end of the recommended sag settings but it feels way better in turns. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I think a more precise description of the issue would help...

Last weekend Goldfish and I went for a ride and decided to trade bikes for about 20 miles through some twisties. He has about 50lbs on me and he rides an 05 with stock suspension set up for him and his weight. He also has the DC3's mounted up.

Mine was still set to factory suspension settings, on the stock suspension, I weigh about 150-155. I have stock well worn BT016s.

My impression of his 05: Much smoother on the tip in, it just rolls right to the lean angle you want and then stays there. His suspension felt much softer than mine, and I immediately started taking corners faster and with more confidence (till I spun up the rear on a corner exit)... The 05 has more midrange, and a much lower softer seat. You feel like you are sitting in the bike, mine you feel like you are ON the bike...

Goldfish's impression of my 08: trying to turn it in, you push the handle bar and wait, then it damn near falls over into the turn. The suspension was way too stiff and gave little usable feedback. Once in the turn with the steering completed, the bars did not want to stay put, requiring further rider steering input (I never really noticed this till I rode his bike and it was soo much easier). My 08 has more power up top (similar mods) and with me on my bike and him on his mine is faster... With me on his and him on mine, it was about 50/50 for whoever gets the jump. Most likely the weight difference.

When we got done, we went back to his house and tried to get the suspension setup for me. We were able to get the rear sag dialed in, and with some changes to comp/rebound it now feels much softer and more compliant in the rear. It had way too much preload from the factory. Same thing for the front, it was showing 5 lines of preload and now shows 8 but still can't get the right sag settings. It is better... but not perfect at all.

I plan to respring the bike soon as it will only cost about $220 for all 3 springs from racetech to better match my weight (softer front, heavier rear). I am also going to take it to my next track day and let the suspension guy out there take a look at it as he did a great job on my 6.

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
My 08 is a beast and RAILS. You need to setup your suspension properly. I GUARANTEE 90% of the riders out there have no idea what their tire pressure is or should be nor do they setup their suspension and ride height correctly. It's a night and day difference.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I also notice the wallowing your taking about when i'm really bombing aroud corners on my 08. Kinda like the middle of the bike is flexing?

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I also notice the wallowing your taking about when i'm really bombing aroud corners on my 08. Kinda like the middle of the bike is flexing?
Yes sir... I ride the 10 as hard as I did my 05 636. Only issue with the 636 was head shake other than that AWESOME bike. I ride out the wallowing on the 10 but it is unsettling.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My 08 is a beast and RAILS. You need to setup your suspension properly. I GUARANTEE 90% of the riders out there have no idea what their tire pressure is or should be nor do they setup their suspension and ride height correctly. It's a night and day difference.
I had some guy who races KAWI's set up the sag and I read up on the tire air pressure. I am on DCIII. 33psi up front and 35 rear. I put the tires on this season.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Care to offer any insight?

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My '08 had an unsettling feeling in turns when I first got it. I couldn't put my finger on it, then I read some info on Espens's page....there's a link on here somewhere....that goes over suspension behavior and things that may be affecting handling. I narrowed my problem down to too much fork stroke as the bike arrived stock....I had 5 1/2 lines showing preload. I went to 4 1/2 lines showing and the front end now feels planted, no more wallowing or acting funny when I let off the front brake after braking deep into a turn (adjust compression and rebound to taste). This put me at the low (numerically), or 'tight' end of the recommended sag settings but it feels way better in turns. Hope this helps.
I am gonna try that. That's the adjustment I was trying to refer too. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
if you had your sag set already, messing with the preload is gonna alter the ride height (sag). you should try increasing the rebound first, 1-2 clicks at a time. and if that doesnt work try other methods.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Same thing for the front, it was showing 5 lines of preload and now shows 8 but still can't get the right sag settings. It is better... but not perfect at all.
It's funny, the 3rd gen comes from Kawi supposedly set up for a 150lb rider. I'm 160 and can't get the front sag even close to where it should be...the front is just way too stiff.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
It's funny, the 3rd gen comes from Kawi supposedly set up for a 150lb rider. I'm 160 and can't get the front sag even close to where it should be...the front is just way too stiff.
Yeah, even the service manual says it is setup for a 150lb rider... I don't think they use the same scales as us, cause I am 155 and it ain't effin right!

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

NICE!!!

It worked... Much better. Not perfect but a huge improvement. Bike turns much sharper. I also went more firm for compressionand/rebound. Love the way the bike feels!!!

Wallowing is pretty much gone.

THANKS!

With the nose down a little I feel I can brake later and harder too... Loving the new flickability of the bike... This bike rules!!!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts