Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally spent the time to make the walbro GSS342 pump work. Although it is not a direct bolt in it doesnt take a whole lot to make it work. After disassembling the pump you have to use a razor blade to remove the extra material on the inside of the rubber isolator at the bottom of the pump Next, using a razor blade and a file I had to remove the four tabs on the bottom of the pump.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
then I had to shorten the regulator to make room for the wiring. Then I soldered up new wiring using spade connectors and eyelets and reassembled. Took bike for a ride and all is well.

Attachments

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Vince, I have one question, did you buy the walbro with the in and out inline with each other or opposites ??The standard is inline and I was wondering wether the rubber gasket was inline with the relief hole.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Vince, I have one question, did you buy the walbro with the in and out inline with each other or opposites ??The standard is inline and I was wondering wether the rubber gasket was inline with the relief hole.
Yes its the straight through pump.(both inlet and outlet are inline not staggered) Which rubber gasket and relief hole are you refferring to?

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
There is a small relief vent on the bottom of the pump that lines up a hole on the rubber spacer, if you have the straight through pump , as you do, it lines up fine.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Splendid.

It looks like a small pressure relief system for the pump, I havent disected the old one yet to have a look.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very goodly, did you check the flow ??
Another member on the board is doing this mod and having a bit of trouble getting the bike to start, so I went out and flow tested my bikes. With the pumps installed in the fuel tanks, using a 1 gallon antifreeze container and wiring the pumps directly to a battery with a switch inline. This is not the most highly acurate way but it does show the difference. Heres the results:

Known good factory pump: Took 1:58 seconds to fill 1 gallon this equates to about 30.5 gallons per hour or 115.5 liters per hour

Walbro pump: Took 1:11 seconds to fill 1 gallon this equates to about 50.7 gallons per hour or 192 liters per hour.

All results were flowed through the factory fuel line.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Good results, I am still waiting for my pump to arrive.

I almost have my own system finished and ready to mock up on the bike.

I have made a 5 bar system with a Bosch pump and filter which will be mounted under the seat cowl, a 3 way fuel pressure regulator and 1.5 inch remote gauge.

The fuel rail has a split feed going into the rail between 1 and 2 , 3 and 4 and returns via the original "fuel in" via a -6 hose to the middle of the tank.

All the lines ar -6 starlite hose with -6 AN fittings , I also have a billet pre pump filter inline.

Dont ask why I did this , its a very expensive mod, but I will have better control over the fueling once I get the Motec working.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good results, I am still waiting for my pump to arrive.

I almost have my own system finished and ready to mock up on the bike.

I have made a 5 bar system with a Bosch pump and filter which will be mounted under the seat cowl, a 3 way fuel pressure regulator and 1.5 inch remote gauge.

The fuel rail has a split feed going into the rail between 1 and 2 , 3 and 4 and returns via the original "fuel in" via a -6 hose to the middle of the tank.

All the lines ar -6 starlite hose with -6 AN fittings , I also have a billet pre pump filter inline.

Dont ask why I did this , its a very expensive mod, but I will have better control over the fueling once I get the Motec working.
The fuel system is the least of you money issues if your running a motec. Did you use start-lite fuel line? We used to tie up close to a grand in just hose to do a pro mod. Doesnt take long at $25 a foot. But is it light compared to steel braided

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Yep starlite fuel line ($15 a foot), $300 Bosch Pump, $60 Bosch fuel filter , Earls -6An fittings (130) , Earls billet fuel filter ($400) 6 -6AN weld on fittings, Earls -6 AN y piece, Kawi Fuel rail ($80) , Kinsler pressure regulator ($120) VDO fuel gauge ($35) , Motec fuel pressure sensor($60) .Motec ADL dash, M880 ECU.

I got a crackin deal on the M880 with Lambda enabled.

Milspecs and wiring harness I am working on.

Its an expensive project, but my bike is my outlet.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep starlite fuel line ($15 a foot), $300 Bosch Pump, $60 Bosch fuel filter , Earls -6An fittings (130) , Earls billet fuel filter ($400) 6 -6AN weld on fittings, Earls -6 AN y piece, Kawi Fuel rail ($80) , Kinsler pressure regulator ($120) VDO fuel gauge ($35) , Motec fuel pressure sensor($60) .Motec ADL dash, M880 ECU.

I got a crackin deal on the M880 with Lambda enabled.

Milspecs and wiring harness I am working on.

Its an expensive project, but my bike is my outlet.
do you have the $400 crimping tool for the milspec wiring connectors? I used to use them on the cars we built too.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I'm WALBROED :) pump does sound like it's got some balls that's for sure. Very easy Mod oh though I ran into a small "never think of" issue. you can buy the whole kit on ebay for $99. Just to let you know I am an extra person for questions if vince isn't on at the time. Thank you Marc aka FAF for the idea and thanks you Vince for the walk through.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm WALBROED :) pump does sound like it's got some balls that's for sure. Very easy Mod oh though I ran into a small "never think of" issue. you can buy the whole kit on ebay for $99. Just to let you know I am an extra person for questions if vince isn't on at the time. Thank you Marc aka FAF for the idea and thanks you Vince for the walk through.
No problem, Glad it all worked out for you, It only took about 40 PMs.:crackup: :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 69 Posts