Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always say dont believe everything you hear or see !!!
For you guys on the board and every other board out there I see time after time someone says these are the best to buy !!! are you going to follow because joe smoe said he felt it in the seat of his pants ???
If you put a pipe on joe smoes bikes wich lost him 3 mph and he does not even know it, but the sound was awesome he thinks it goes faster in his mind because of the sound!
Dynos can be very misleading (SOME TIMES OR MORE OFTEN THAN YOU THINK!!!!) MR motorcycle shop dynoed something and it showed more H.P. so it has to be faster right ??? TOTAL BULL$HIT !!!!!!!!!!!!
Not true all the time !!!!

When I buy something I ALWAYS TEST IT BACK TO BACK AND NOT ON THE DYNO !!!!!!
Piston kit, pipe, are winners to a good extent !

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Uh, where did this stem from?

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
:+1:

·
Registered
735 Posts
:dontknow: Bad day??

·
Registered
735 Posts
Big Daddy said:
perhaps he grabbed the wrong cup this morning and instead of coffee it had U4 in it. :dontknow:

BD

Now thats funny right derr! :crackup:

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Big Daddy said:
perhaps he grabbed the wrong cup this morning and instead of coffee it had U4 in it. :dontknow:

BD
Mmmmm....U4. I'll take 5 gallons of that with a double shot of N2O, no foam.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Of course you cant see true horse power with out ram air and all BUT for the sake of not having to go out in the street and run these bikes 190~mph and risking your life with either gettin hit, arrested or crashing is worth it for tuning's sake.

A dynojet # will always be useless to compare joe shmoes dyno run to his buddy because dynojet #'s will never equal the same. A factory pro dyno on the other hand will always be accurate from bike to bike because they are all set to SAE corrected horse power with their software and all factory pro dynos are set up to read the same from dyno to dyno.

A dyno is a great tungin device because you can atleast get the bike close to what it needs to be and then from there you can always go run it back to bak on the street with tweeking but still the factors of having to run it on the street are pretty dangerous.

Of course also the peak power some bike makes before and after might be different than what it does on the street but with thigns liek cam timing and moving your rpm range and power range around you an actually see what the motor is doing ram air or not.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
garth285 said:
Of course you cant see true horse power with out ram air and all BUT for the sake of not having to go out in the street and run these bikes 190~mph and risking your life with either gettin hit, arrested or crashing is worth it for tuning's sake.

the factors of having to run it on the street are pretty dangerous.
this comes from a guy who rides mile long wheelies.. LOL

I dont know who upset iceman but i think what he is getting at is for example the exhaust cam post that everyone said " oh i am ordering it tomorrow its a kawi race cam, that should pick me up a couple more hp". then come to find out its smaller than stock.. not to mention the 3 sets of intake valve springs we have that are garbage from numerous manufacturers.. i think he is going to post up our finding on the 3 sets of valve springs we have and why they dont work. stay posted..

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
dont hate, just cause I can control my bike on one wheel for a long period of time and compensate for alot of conditions and engine revs and wind and road curves doesnt mean anythign.

I hope hes not pissed at me, I jsut posted up to find out about an exhaust cam. Im goin to find out for myself if it works for myself or not..

We have expiremented on our data logger on the dyno and in the 9/10ths what kind of lambda numbers work from .86 to .93 and do runs off the dyno and on and we find on the dyno there is a .05 less air fuel on the dyno of course from the no ram air. So every bike we do on the dyno we always leave rich a few #'s to compenstae at the higher rpm's.

It is really great to have a dyno to mess around with because I myself workig nwith james have saved my self countless amounts of money in tunin and parts and labor, I've had my bike on the dyno about 10 times and I have had the datalogger on my bike for quite a few weeks and I was tunign all the time to perfect my around town driving air fuel's.

My bike is my daily driver and weekend racer so I still have to keep it up and runnign all the time also.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
garth285 said:
dont hate, just cause I can control my bike on one wheel for a long period of time and compensate for alot of conditions and engine revs and wind and road curves doesnt mean anythign.

I hope hes not pissed at me, I jsut posted up to find out about an exhaust cam. Im goin to find out for myself if it works for myself or not..

We have expiremented on our data logger on the dyno and in the 9/10ths what kind of lambda numbers work from .86 to .93 and do runs off the dyno and on and we find on the dyno there is a .05 less air fuel on the dyno of course from the no ram air. So every bike we do on the dyno we always leave rich a few #'s to compenstae at the higher rpm's.

It is really great to have a dyno to mess around with because I myself workig nwith james have saved my self countless amounts of money in tunin and parts and labor, I've had my bike on the dyno about 10 times and I have had the datalogger on my bike for quite a few weeks and I was tunign all the time to perfect my around town driving air fuel's.

My bike is my daily driver and weekend racer so I still have to keep it up and runnign all the time also.
bro im not hating i am just saying face reality.. racing in a semi-controlled environment on a several mile stretch is safer than being on 1 wheel IMO.. i can name more dead people i know who were on a wheelstand and if not dead looped or got fucked up pretty bad.. thats why i dont do wheelies.

as far as the dyno goes bro its great for around town tuning. im not gonna argue about the dyno any more bro you have seen for yourself what street tuned bikes with 20 less hp do on the road.. you do recall dynoing my bike and it putting out 155whp?? :mrgreen:

btw. i dont think iceman is pissed at you.. we are all cool down here..

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
of course, I never said a bike with more horse power will go faster than anything...well Im sure in some cases it will but obviously your bike was going alot faster than mine and I weigh 20-30 lbs less than you, and you were coming across 5-6 more mph.

I have been doign wheelies for a very long time, thats the only reason why I do them, I have been on streetbikes for only 5 years but I have been in dirt for about 8 and I was wheeling my first ATV that I got for my farm in boca which was a 99 polaris DIESEL atv which weighed like 750 lbs or somehtign and I wheelied that bitch and threw it 15-20 feet in the air after screaming at a whoping 45mph outta a levee (sp?)

my old 96 yzf600 I used to pull it up in 4th gear no clutch at anytime and I love wheelies, never have gone down and I hope I dont for a while, being able to have a skill like goign 10 more mph on the same bike as someone else for instance Juan on my bike comes across at 192 and I come across at 180-181, hes been doin git for 15+ years or somehtign....I suck at 9/10ths cause Im new but I wheelie cause I have that skill built up and expirence.

so I aint no squid! (not that Im saying yor callin me a squid)

What do you think about this charles :-D

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
12RPilot said:
So you won't trust seat of the pants, you won't dyno, what's left? Back to back what? You lost me Ice Man. BTW, I agree that many posts are pure BS, but what is your alternative?
What's left is the only real way to tell if something makes your bike faster or not. Testing the bike before and after the mod. Brock Davidson is well known for developing his products this way. For his exhaust systems especially, he relies more on time slips than anything else to find what works. This was shown in a test that Lee Shierts did with different systems and even though other systems made more hp on the dyno, Brock's system produced the quickest runs.

The only problem is that most people, me included, don't have the time or money to do this. So we have to use other alternatives like the dyno or info from a knowledgeable tuner.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
phastone said:
What's left is the only real way to tell if something makes your bike faster or not. Testing the bike before and after the mod. Brock Davidson is well known for developing his products this way. For his exhaust systems especially, he relies more on time slips than anything else to find what works. This was shown in a test that Lee Shierts did with different systems and even though other systems made more hp on the dyno, Brock's system produced the quickest runs.

The only problem is that most people, me included, don't have the time or money to do this. So we have to use other alternatives like the dyno or info from a knowledgeable tuner.
your right about that.. brocks pipe has been tested at the 1/4 mile and makes better power than alot of other systems.. iceman actually tested the brocks against the akrapovic on a busa and the brocks was off by 2mph on the top end.. thats part of the reason i opted for the akro pipe over the brocks on my zx10 also. you really got to test it in the real world against other pipes.. the dyno doesnt do much for pipe tests IMO..

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
phastone said:

That counts me out. Pretty slim chance that I can get to a track, do a few timed laps, change a cam or something, and do more laps. At least until I win the lottery. (Knock on wood) :smile:

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
deezuhl said:
your right about that.. brocks pipe has been tested at the 1/4 mile and makes better power than alot of other systems.. iceman actually tested the brocks against the akrapovic on a busa and the brocks was off by 2mph on the top end.. thats part of the reason i opted for the akro pipe over the brocks on my zx10 also. you really got to test it in the real world against other pipes.. the dyno doesnt do much for pipe tests IMO..
That shows the problem with that kind of testing. Unless the tester and conditions are extremely consistent, you get different outcomes. I run a brock system on my bus because everything I've seen says it's the one to have. Are you talking top end stuff, though? I've just seen 1/4 mile stuff. :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
phastone said:
That shows the problem with that kind of testing. Unless the tester and conditions are extremely consistent, you get different outcomes. I run a brock system on my bus because everything I've seen says it's the one to have. Are you talking top end stuff, though? I've just seen 1/4 mile stuff. :dontknow:
yes top end it lost 2mph.. thats huge in the type of racing we do here..

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Big Daddy said:

BD

HAHAHA:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts