Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gen 4 vs Gen 5 vs Competition on track/racing

For those that have had both or currently have both how do they compare on track/racing in lap times or in the ability to duplicate previous track pace/lap times?

My plan for 2019 is to get my race license and enter a few races in 2019. I am thinking rookies cup and Formula 40 as my main entiries, but open to other classes.

How does the GEn 4 compare to other current gen liter bikes? I know at my skill level and pace the bike won't be an issue. I am more curious to know if the bike at the amateur club level does make a significant difference.

·
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron
473 Posts
For those that have had both or currently have both how do they compare on track/racing in lap times or in the ability to duplicate previous track pace/lap times?
I would say all the “fast guys” run the Gen5. SBK Unlimited used to be a die hard R1 shop and has since switch to the Gen5. Freddy (the owner) and Tyler Smathers are pretty quick. Tyler is a demon on the Gen5 and is one of the main guys to beat. He’s a top 10 Moto America SS1000 rider too.

The Gen4 is very fast and can do well. I would highly recommend you start getting some reference lap times to see where you stand vs the class you intend on riding.

I’m in Advance group but still off the pace for the podium by about 5 or 6%. Just take it all with a grain of salt and go push yourself!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Do yourself a favor and start your racing on a smaller bike and work up to a 1000.
Learn to go fast on a smaller bike, and advance. Those who start on 1000's are the smallest group that continues racing.
Its too expensive, they cant compete with the other riders who have done what I suggest above, and the get offs are more spectacular. Especially if you are "over 40"

Just sayin....But what do I know....

·
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron
473 Posts
Do yourself a favor and start your racing on a smaller bike and work up to a 1000.
Learn to go fast on a smaller bike, and advance. Those who start on 1000's are the smallest group that continues racing.
Its too expensive, they cant compete with the other riders who have done what I suggest above, and the get offs are more spectacular. Especially if you are "over 40"

Just sayin....But what do I know....
That’s me hahahaha:thefinger_red:

Reactions: 2wheelmike

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 636 as well. I have been building these bikes for 5-6 years so they have a lot of stuff already done. My goal is just to compete and see where it goes. Right now I want the experience. I have looked at the lap times of the winners and I know I am not at that pace, but I am not the bottom either.

My thinking is as long as my pace is not a safety hazard to others I am ok. Thanks for the advice. I know when I read bike builds it seems those that had a 4 and went to a 5 take some time before they match the GEn 4 times and never really eclipse it by much. Of course, the time is relative to the actual lap time.

·
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron
473 Posts
Your signature lists the new GSXR? I would race that bike before the Gen4...

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your signature lists the new GSXR? I would race that bike before the Gen4...

I would love to! It is not about which bike is better. More about which bike I am willing to risk racing on. I track it, but don't want to race it yet.

·
Registered
903 Posts
A good rider can run equally good laps on a gen4 and gen5. Much depends on the level of development of each bike. It takes a bit less to make gen5 competitive than it takes gen4. Stock vs stock, Gen5 is better in pretty much every way. Gen5 has improved geometry, more refined electronics, better brakes and more power. I've raced both and they have different feeling to them. My personal preference is gen5.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Get a 600 for the same reasons others have already stated.

Or you can go balls out, buy a new Gen 5, and still turn 42's at VIR...then tell yourself you need $3k in suspension in order to get below 40's there. ;)
Naaah Maaaaaaan, suspension waste of money.....winglets and stickers FTW! :crackup:

I'll probably set both of my Kawasakis up for CCS racing and race both. The 636 is going to be my primary bike.

·
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron
473 Posts
Mate..

Go look at ED performance page on the new GXSR gearbox...

Nothing wrong with GEN4...
Yeah, I saw that yesterday too. :surprise: Never buy a first year of a new production machine!

·
Registered
737 Posts
If I was going to start racing again, today, my money would go into a Ninja 400. Hands down best bang for your $$$$$$

·
Registered
2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R KRT ABS Edition
683 Posts
If I didn't love my naked bike as much as I do I'd get an RC390. I really want an SD but they're a little pricey for something I'm not going to be riding that hard or for that much during the season.

·
Registered
96 Posts
A well sorted Gen 4 race / track bike can be had for fairly cheap nowadays. If budget is a consideration, I'd go that route. You could almost buy 2 for the price of a Gen 5.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was faster on my Gen4 by about 3 seconds and it had 20 less hp than my Gen 5. Just taking more time to get use to the new bike.

A few things I've learned over the year on the old vs new:

- Gen4 you'll want a rear race link to get the bike to turn really well.
- Gen4 spring and shock upgrade are really all you need to get the bike full track ready. No major changes to bike setup other than set suspension.
- Gen5 has WAY too much weight on the nose and in stock form required a good bit of playing with the weight distribution/transfer to get the bike to run at faster paces (at least for me and a bunch of other racers). We found the Gen5 really can benefit from adding race cups to change the front and give it better ability to finish corners.
- Gen5 brakes are WAY better over Gen4
- Gen5 electronics take more getting use to then Gen4 IMO - lots of options to test and find what you like.

All in all both are very good machines - I just had to spend less a good bit less money on the Gen 4 to get it dialed than the Gen 5.

If you don't want to spend a ton of money in racing, get a 400! haha

·
Registered
737 Posts
Fork caps to allow lowering the fork in the triple past the top flange.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts