Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have used searched any have been doing some researching. so here is is my dilemma.

im getting slight detonation on pump gas the best i can get is 90-91 octane out of the pump. does anyone mix u4,c12,c14,mr9, or any other types of vp to bump up the octane rating without just running straight race gas. ( that would be making my pockets a lil deep) any suggestions would be great :thumbsup:

·
Registered
798 Posts
could try just adding more fuel on your map save you money all around then with out really hurting power to a noticeable amount

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
You could 1) put a stock head gasket back in 2) retard your timing a few degrees with a box or by moving the trigger, or 3) buy some TEL from batterystuff.com and add a little to each tank of gas.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i` too would verify if your running lean. address that first. its no big deal to mix say c 12 with whatever formore octane (if you dont have converters) but verify its not a lean aggrevated detonation first.

·
Registered
474 Posts
We sell VP Racing fuel
FYI U4 is a leaded,oxygenated and has a motor octane rating of 92.
C12 is also leaded,but not oxygenated and has a motor octane rating of 108.
OCTANE: This does nothing more than rate a fuel’s ability to resist detonation and/or preignition.
Octane is rated in Research Octane Numbers (RON), Motor Octane Numbers (MON) and Pump
Octane Numbers (R+M/2). A Pump Octane Number is the number you see on the yellow decal
at gas stations, representing the average of the fuel’s RON and MON. VP relies on MON because
the MON test more accurately simulates racing conditions. Don't be fooled by high RON or
R+M/2 numbers. Many companies use these simply because they look higher and are easier to
come by due to the testing methods. Also, be aware that the ability of fuel to resist preignition
is more than just a function of octane.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
the higher the octane, the less hp you make, octane is all about controling detonation.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well good news no detonation

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I was about to say. I have basically the same mods and run pump 91 and haven't had any issue with detonation. I think alot people mistake the noisy motors that we have for detonation or somethings wrong with my bike.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts