Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I been thinking of buying a video camera to mount on my bike on track day and on rides. I don't know jack about video cam. without turning to a life of crime. do anyone knows which cam is good for a decent price. What about vibration?. which is better?. Hard drive,tape or disk?.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hey Mike............

Mini DV would be the way to go. By far the least expensive, great quality and very small. The highest quality to price to size ratio............:wink:

Wish I was there with you for some track days..........haven't been able to make the move yet......:smile:

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WARBIRD said:
Hey Mike............

Mini DV would be the way to go. By far the least expensive, great quality and very small. The highest quality to price to size ratio............:wink:

Wish I was there with you for some track days..........haven't been able to make the move yet......:smile:

How is going?. I was wondering what happen. Dv. is that the disk?. Which manufactor is good?.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Personally I'd go with a hard drive type.... They seem to be much smaller and the new one's offer DVD quality resolution.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ram360 said:
Personally I'd go with a hard drive type.... They seem to be much smaller and the new one's offer DVD quality resolution.

What about the vibe from the bike. wouldn't that hurt the recording?.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I acually use a older model now, It's 4 mega pixel hard drive type 640 x 480 resolution. I got it a few yrs ago but It seriously the size of a wallet. The quality isn't up to par with todays cameras but, I've had it mounted on my bike numerous times and vibration had no effect on the camera. IMO that's your best bet. I wouldn't want to fumble with tapes, dvds, mini dvds, etc... I'd rather just download it to my computer, edit etc... burn it to a dvd, save it to the computer, or whatever. IMO it's the only way to go.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ram360 said:
I acually use a older model now, It's 4 mega pixel hard drive type 640 x 480 resolution. I got it a few yrs ago but It seriously the size of a wallet. The quality isn't up to par with todays cameras but, I've had it mounted on my bike numerous times and vibration had no effect on the camera. IMO that's your best bet. I wouldn't want to fumble with tapes, dvds, mini dvds, etc... I'd rather just download it to my computer, edit etc... burn it to a dvd, save it to the computer, or whatever. IMO it's the only way to go.
That don't sound to bad. Whats the price range of these hard drive?.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Somewhere in the $600+ range, but they can be had cheaper depending on what features you get. I mean it's not cheap but I'm sure you can find better deals online. Also get something with a nice zoom. I always wish I had much more than a 4x especially if your using it for more than just a bike cam. I would try those comsumer report sites that people rate electronics, that way you can compare various items, prices, features, etc... Takes the headaches out of buying. Good luck man.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
you could also look at the flash drive cameras, that's what I was gonna get but just haven't yet. from what i've seen the hard drive ones are a little thick and like previous posts the mini dv's are the best bang for the buck with a wide selection

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
i have the cheapest sony dv camera, like the dc40 or soemthing. great camera, $400, and has all the features you need, no buzzing from the bike etc. a hard drive i would say may be more pron to vibration issues/endurance. dvd is not the way to go for a motorcylce b/c the laser will mess up. don't go all out if its for the bike IMO, today's technology at the $500 and below is awesome for most people.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RickRoush03 said:
i have the cheapest sony dv camera, like the dc40 or soemthing. great camera, $400, and has all the features you need, no buzzing from the bike etc. a hard drive i would say may be more pron to vibration issues/endurance. dvd is not the way to go for a motorcylce b/c the laser will mess up. don't go all out if its for the bike IMO, today's technology at the $500 and below is awesome for most people.

Thats what i like to hear and it fits my price range. is there any brand i should stay away and which one i should be looking at?.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
http://www.hsn.com/cnt/prod/default.aspx?webp_id=2332113&sz=0&cat=&dept=&sf=&gs=&subcat=&attr=&o=-RI&ocm=sekw

This is my choice. Not cheap but I figure spend the extra money now or end up wishing you had opted for the better model later. I personally take a fair amount of video and this was what I was looking into. And the fact it holds 7hrs of DVD quality video is nice piece of mind (at least for me) that I won't be running out of tape or whatever at the worst possible time. I hope to pick on up before kick makes the next member movie. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for all the help guys. Ram. I like that camera. The only thing that really worry me is that if i crash at the track. I don't want lose a camera that cost a lot. it would be enough to deal with the bike.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
yeah man, I see what your saying. I wouldn't drop that much on a designated bike cam. I was more or less thinking of a general use type of item like, vacations, family stuff, with the occasional bike terror ride. I can understand where your coming from.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ram360 said:
yeah man, I see what your saying. I wouldn't drop that much on a designated bike cam. I was more or less thinking of a general use type of item like, vacations, family stuff, with the occasional bike terror ride. I can understand where your coming from.

Thats what i will be using the cam for. track and rides. any ideals on a camera fitting my needs?.

·
Registered
373 Posts
if i were you, i'd get one with an aux video input. that way you can add one of those bullet cams and tape it anywhere on the bike.

i got a old hi-8 and have seen hard drive and dvd. the dvd ones don't work too well - best avoid

1 - 20 of 34 Posts