Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My gen 5 zx10r seems to have developed vibrations in the handelbars and foot pegs. They are bad enogh that after an hour of riding my hans and feet go numb. It seems to be right through the rev range. The bike has 2200km on it. Has anyone else experienced this? Only mod to the bike is a slip on akrapovic.

Cheers,

·
Registered
581 Posts
Have you modified the bike at all? Exhaust, Tail Tidy Kit, Etc.?

·
Registered
374 Posts
I've had this problem on a new bike before, not sure if this is your issue but it resolved mine. Refer to the service manual, loosen and re-tourque the engine mount bolts in the correct sequence.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've had this problem on a new bike before, not sure if this is your issue but it resolved mine. Refer to the service manual, loosen and re-tourque the engine mount bolts in the correct sequence.
I will try this, i love the bike but this is starting to get vey frustrating.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
new bar ends?
No i havent put new bar ends on yet if i cant find the problem i will have too put so,e on. Also the vibration is worse in the foot pegs.

·
The Pace
7,164 Posts
If you're riding slabs just the wind in strength and direction on those days. I notice this sometimes and also notice some vibs on certain sections of crap concrete or old asphalt. I'd not worry about the wheel weights or the engine bolts unless you think you'll feel more confident to wench them. My next thought is that if you have wear on the bt16's I'd change them out to the mez rr's. last thought is that you may be mega tense on the bike; this might be closer to the truth but can't tell unless I watched what you're doing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you're riding slabs just the wind in strength and direction on those days. I notice this sometimes and also notice some vibs on certain sections of crap concrete or old asphalt. I'd not worry about the wheel weights or the engine bolts unless you think you'll feel more confident to wench them. My next thought is that if you have wear on the bt16's I'd change them out to the mez rr's. last thought is that you may be mega tense on the bike; this might be closer to the truth but can't tell unless I watched what you're doing.
Yeah im not sure, im putting my bike back togeather now. I did forget to mention if i pull the clutch in while riding the vibs stop. The tyres are 70% warn the bike gets lots of "twisties" action. Im going to take it back to the dealer and see what they think. I will take there demo for a quick ride while im there.

·
The Pace
7,164 Posts
Yeah im not sure, im putting my bike back togeather now. I did forget to mention if i pull the clutch in while riding the vibs stop. The tyres are 70% warn the bike gets lots of "twisties" action. Im going to take it back to the dealer and see what they think. I will take there demo for a quick ride while im there.
fyi I run tires down to the fabric or the steel depending upon the manufacturer and never noticed a problem with vibs that are tire related. BUT possible to have vibs caused by old tires. idk as I beat the crap outta this bike so tires last anywhere from 800 to 3000 miles depending upon the brand (for rear) and around 4 to 5k for the front. and the center of the front appear new to me at 4-5k miles. (since june 21 I have put on over 7k miles, fyi. '13 bought new in sept. 14 has 48k or more right now. No commut miles and no starbucks and not one parking lot) Sides are toast meaning steel belt showing or close to that belt. My point is that I've never had a vib from tires but can repeat my report that I will notice a vib from certain types of wind. I would not take the bike to the dealer unless you're completely stressed out about it. Dealers are used to new bike jitter probs, that's for sure. Me, dealers think I'm gold. lol I must add that I'm not bragging but simply reporting my riding facts for your evaluation. I do this type of riding year after year.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Retorque all engine mount bolts. Handlebar and fork pinch bolts (or have some qualified technician do it). Maybe discuss this with the dealer and have these checked under warranty. We are talking of high-frequency vibrations here, those are the kind that make you tingle and go numb. You did not really say if the bike was smooth and then it got progressively worse but I am assuming that.

I have the Gen 4, mine was rebuilt onto a new frame by a master technician and runs as smooth as a newborn's downy little cheek.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Retorque all engine mount bolts. Handlebar and fork pinch bolts (or have some qualified technician do it). Maybe discuss this with the dealer and have these checked under warranty. We are talking of high-frequency vibrations here, those are the kind that make you tingle and go numb. You did not really say if the bike was smooth and then it got progressively worse but I am assuming that.

I have the Gen 4, mine was rebuilt onto a new frame by a master technician and runs as smooth as a newborn's downy little cheek.
Yeah sorry it used to be supper smooth, they are the vibrations im talking about after an hour riding hands and feet are numb, i will try this and hopefully the problem will be fixed. Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts