Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was at Buttonwillow yesterday, and got to try out my new Vesrah SRJL race brake pads. In a word: amazing!

Considering the purchase price of $190, I have to say they are worth every penny. And I would gladly pay more.

Ever since purchasing the '04, my one major complaint (as some of you may know :mrgreen:) is that the brakes sucked and didn't come even close to the fantastic brakes on my 954. I've done Galfer SBK lines, Motul RBF600 fluid, Brembo m/c and Galfer HH pads. With all those mods, the brakes were better, but still vague and soft.

After dumping the Galfer HH pads and installing the Vesrah, the bike now brakes as well as my 954 with HRC pads. Very nice, strong initial bite with excellent modulation and feel. For the first time since owning this bike, I felt very comfortable passing on the brakes. The increase in confidence and feedback is huge. Passed 3 riders (with number plates :twisted:) on the brakes going into T1 where I wouldn't have even considered an aggresive move like that b4.

Adding to the fun, is that they require no bedding-in. Vesrah advertises this, but I have to admit I was skeptical (or sceptical for you Brits :wink:), but I read some good feedback on 13x.com that confirmed it. Installed the pads and went directly to the track. Felt great, even on the first lap.

One change left for the brakes will be the Castrol SRF fluid. Still had some minor fade toward the end of a 20-minute session of hard braking that I attribute to the fluid. We'll see...

Big thumbs up to Vesrah. If you aren't happy with your brakes, spend the money. You won't be disappointed.

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
I felt the same way about Carbon Lorraine pads. I've heard both the Vesrahs and CL's are equally good. LARGE improvement over anything else I've used... Galfer HH, EBC HH and stock (which aren't bad by any means)

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
not to threadjack...

but I have some toasted EBC pads...and I was borrowing a friends stock G1K radial m/c this w/e and I was having problems with the brakes being too good...:eek:

I think I'd crash f'sho (again) if I had your set up CC!

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe so, hill. But I think it's all about feel and like anything else, adjusting to the difference. I'm a one-finger braker. Can't remember the last time I used 2. (Oh, wait. Now I remember: it was when I still had the stock m/c and the damn thing didn't want to stop. Scared the S outta me.:eyecrazy: ) And I like to be able to ride the nose into a turn with 1 finger. Good initial bite is important for my confidence. But, everyone has their own idea of what feels right.

In the end, it comes down to what feels good to you.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
well, i'll keep this in mind next go around, are these pads track only use??

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RickRoush03 said:
well, i'll keep this in mind next go around, are these pads track only use??
:dontknow: Not IMO. Then again, I ride 209GPs on the street, as well. Performance is performance, I say. If it works well on the track, chances are it will work well on the street. Yeah, there are exceptions like carbon/carbon brakes that need to be very hot to work well. But the only difference between my track setup and street setup is lights, mirrors and a plate. YMMV.

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
The CL's are good on the street. NOTHING like HH EBC's OR Galfer where you have to get some heat in em... I can only comment on the CL's though.

·
Registered
240 Posts
so what are best for track and street or do have to try them

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Canyon Carver
where did you purchase the brake pads from and do you have a part number? I have checked a few places and the prices are all around $108-130.00 I am asssuming this price is not for the SINTERED METAL BRAKE PADS but for the ORGANIC BRAKE PADS. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
240 Posts
yeah need to know

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Sukutto said:
Canyon Carver
where did you purchase the brake pads from and do you have a part number? I have checked a few places and the prices are all around $108-130.00 I am asssuming this price is not for the SINTERED METAL BRAKE PADS but for the ORGANIC BRAKE PADS. Thanks in advance.
Got them through out site sponsor, On2-Racing. Jason was good enough to hook me up quick enough for a track session that was coming up.

If you're getting a price of 108-130, those aren't the SRJLs. Don't remember the exact part number, but mine cost $190. I originally had a hard time finding a supplier. Everyone has the street pads, but not the race pads.

Vesrah's website is a total POS, but it does have some good info if you want to check it out.

Edit: Just checked their site again, and the pads were the 354 SRJL17.

·
Я - Ребен&#108
3,563 Posts
CanyonCarver said:
Was at Buttonwillow yesterday, and got to try out my new Vesrah SRJL race brake pads. In a word: amazing!

Considering the purchase price of $190, I have to say they are worth every penny. And I would gladly pay more.

Ever since purchasing the '04, my one major complaint (as some of you may know :mrgreen:) is that the brakes sucked and didn't come even close to the fantastic brakes on my 954. I've done Galfer SBK lines, Motul RBF600 fluid, Brembo m/c and Galfer HH pads. With all those mods, the brakes were better, but still vague and soft.

After dumping the Galfer HH pads and installing the Vesrah, the bike now brakes as well as my 954 with HRC pads. Very nice, strong initial bite with excellent modulation and feel. For the first time since owning this bike, I felt very comfortable passing on the brakes. The increase in confidence and feedback is huge. Passed 3 riders (with number plates :twisted:) on the brakes going into T1 where I wouldn't have even considered an aggresive move like that b4.

Man I can not tell you how good the V-pads are!

My first sample using them was back in the summer of 2005 when my teammate use to let me borrow his race bike to do TD's (04 636) I never felt so comfortable with braking!

After using his bike all summer I brought my current race bike (05 636) and initially I thought that she felt about 75% as good as the V-pads, well after my second TD using the stock set up I found myself diving deeper into turn 7 at VIR and the stock pads and lines was toast after 2 laps. I heard Road Atl was a fast track so I got SS lines and V-pads for $180 (my friend owns a bike repair shop and gave me some of the items at cost).

Since then Ive ran a few wera races and done a rack of TD's and I swear by them. They are better than my 06 zx10's stock set up, and better than my 04 zx10's SS lines with Galfer pads.....

You cant go wrong with Vesrah pads!

Von.
Can you tell I love these pads? lol as soon as I burn up my 06 tens stock stuff V-pads are geting slap on....

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Vonstallin said:
Man I can not tell you how good the V-pads are!

My first sample using them was back in the summer of 2005 when my teammate use to let me borrow his race bike to do TD's (04 636) I never felt so comfortable with braking!

After using his bike all summer I brought my current race bike (05 636) and initially I thought that she felt about 75% as good as the V-pads, well after my second TD using the stock set up I found myself diving deeper into turn 7 at VIR and the stock pads and lines was toast after 2 laps. I heard Road Atl was a fast track so I got SS lines and V-pads for $180 (my friend owns a bike repair shop and gave me some of the items at cost).

Since then Ive ran a few wera races and done a rack of TD's and I swear by them. They are better than my 06 zx10's stock set up, and better than my 04 zx10's SS lines with Galfer pads.....

You cant go wrong with Vesrah pads!

Von.
Can you tell I love these pads? lol as soon as I burn up my 06 tens stock stuff V-pads are geting slap on....
:werd:

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I wanted to try to Vesrahs but no supplier ever could get them reliably and since the are Japanese you pay a premium for the yen to USD ratio.
I did try the Carbonne Lorraine and they were fade free but not a lot of bite. The SBS have been my favorites thus far.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Rotor wear with Vesrah 354 SRJL17?

I'm trying to search out the best brake pad to go witih. I'm a real braking type of guy (did the brembo radial mc and superbike brake lines) and need some opinions.

The galfer and EBCs seem average, and haven't heard much about ferodos and carbon lorraines. Everyone seems to rave about these Vesrahs. For those trying the race version, are these pads killing your rotors? Would you feel comfortable using these full race pads for street duty? Is the street version suitable for aggressive track use?

Some thoughts would be appreciated.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
oooops time for me to chime in yet again...:lol:

Don't really have much feedback for ya yet but soon as i just installed my 354 RJL's a few days ago which can be used for both street & track. I donn't have any trackdays scheduled so my impressions will be from a street ride when i do get around to it.

BD

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tito said:
I'm trying to search out the best brake pad to go witih. I'm a real braking type of guy (did the brembo radial mc and superbike brake lines) and need some opinions.

The galfer and EBCs seem average, and haven't heard much about ferodos and carbon lorraines. Everyone seems to rave about these Vesrahs. For those trying the race version, are these pads killing your rotors?
Not at all. I've done about 5 trackdays and maybe 6 days of hard canyon riding on the SRJLs now, and can't see any wear to the rotors, other than the norm.

Tito said:
Would you feel comfortable using these full race pads for street duty?
Absolutely. And I have and do.

Tito said:
Is the street version suitable for aggressive track use?
Don't know. Have no desire to try them, as the Race versions are so damn good.

Tito said:
Some thoughts would be appreciated.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Hope this helped some. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
383 Posts
Very nice, thanks guys! :eek:ccasion1 :eek:ccasion1 :eek:ccasion1 I'm sold on the race pads enough to try them out. Are the streets about $130 and the race about $190? Ouch. :spit: :spit: :spit: I'll ask our site sponsors...

1 - 20 of 55 Posts