Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just finished removing the catalytic converter, drilling a big hole in the x plate, and disconnecting the exhaust butterfly valve on my stock exhaust. this mod is well worth it. the noise improved drastically and now sounds like a slip on and it cost me nothing. as for power, it defnitely didn't lose any. it seems to have freed up the low rpm bog and the bike revs a little quicker now. i also judge how high and when the front wheel comes up in first gear, with just rolling on the throttle and not trying to wheelie. the wheel comes up a little sooner than before and keeps climbing if i don't move my weight forward. all in all the sound is awesome, it seems to have gained a little power, and this only cost me my time. well worth it, and i recommend it to others who still have their stock exhaust and want a different sound.

alright im out to go scare the neighbors :badteeth:

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
tjvtsportsman said:
i just finished removing the catalytic converter, drilling a big hole in the x plate, and disconnecting the exhaust butterfly valve on my stock exhaust. this mod is well worth it. the noise improved drastically and now sounds like a slip on and it cost me nothing. as for power, it defnitely didn't lose any. it seems to have freed up the low rpm bog and the bike revs a little quicker now. i also judge how high and when the front wheel comes up in first gear, with just rolling on the throttle and not trying to wheelie. the wheel comes up a little sooner than before and keeps climbing if i don't move my weight forward. all in all the sound is awesome, it seems to have gained a little power, and this only cost me my time. well worth it, and i recommend it to others who still have their stock exhaust and want a different sound.

So, you are there one who woke me up. :eyecrazy: Did you take any pic while you were doing this. There nothing wrong with cheap mods and i'm sure other people might do it to.

·
Registered
382 Posts
That titanium baffle sure is tough, I drilled holes around mine and knocked as much as I could out with a screwdriver, will finish it off with a 1 3/4" hole saw tomorrow... it takes a bit of shaking to get all the debris out but it does come out eventually.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
agreed. the x plate was a bitch to remove, i went through several drill bits and grinders to finally get it to my liking. if i had to do it again, i would try a hole saw first. but that's what learning is all about. as far as the debris, i shook and shook and then put a vaccuum hose in it for a good 5 minutes while still shaking. this worked really good and i got all of it out, as far as i can tell/

·
Registered
382 Posts
tjvtsportsman said:
agreed. the x plate was a bitch to remove, i went through several drill bits and grinders to finally get it to my liking. if i had to do it again, i would try a hole saw first. but that's what learning is all about. as far as the debris, i shook and shook and then put a vaccuum hose in it for a good 5 minutes while still shaking. this worked really good and i got all of it out, as far as i can tell/
The hole saw worked like a charm thru the converter mesh now I'm trying to figure the best way to tackle the X plate...

·
Registered
382 Posts
tjvtsportsman said:
i would try the hole saw for the x plate as well.
Guess I'm going to have to get an extension then, that plate is quite a ways in.. and the hole plug is going to be a bitch to get out if it falls in there..

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah you definitely need an extension. and long forceps would get the hole plug out once it's been cut. but u probably have to buy those too.

·
Registered
235 Posts
well

Why you guys are not taking dyno curves before and after this kind of modifications...short dyno run is not expensive...all that kind of recommendations are worthless without real dyno curves...

tjvtsportsman said:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I did the same mod and used a 1 3/4" hole saw bit with a 12" extension. The metal plug stayed stuck in the hole saw bit so no problems there.

I did this so I could hear the engine more for my shift points and didn't really care about any HP increase. It would be interesting if someone would hit the dyno before and after to see if really makes any difference.

Piss poor video but the sound works http://home.comcast.net/~dlorella/Race4.wmv

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i mainly did it for the sound as well. i will worry about the horse power numbers when im ready to purchase a slip on of full system. until then i just wanted a deeper tone without spending the money right now.

·
Registered
382 Posts
tjvtsportsman said:
i mainly did it for the sound as well. i will worry about the horse power numbers when im ready to purchase a slip on of full system. until then i just wanted a deeper tone without spending the money right now.
:+1:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the end cap is only for show. i unbolted the exhaust from the mid pipe and drilled out the catalytic converter from the input side. as soon as u unbolt the muffler, you can see the honeycomb catalytic converter, once that is removed, you can see the x plate. ive heard if you go from the other end and break the welds, the whole sleeve will just slide out, but then you have to weld the end back in place. my way took longer, but required no welding.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Mod done, I drilled a 1 1/2" hole in the X plate and now I can see daylight from the other end... it has a better growl now but not loud.. maybe two or three times louder than stock... not a replacement for a slip on but it'll do for now. The center of the X on the plate lines up exactly with the center of the outlet pipe.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I synoed mine right after I did it and got 146rwhp and 72tq. My buddy has a 04 and his was right at 144rwhp and the same tq as mine.

My A/F was perfect across the board also.

I dont know about you, but dyno runs are not inexpensive, they cost $50 a pop around here. That is $100 I can spend on other mods. I did my intial one, then plan on getting the PCIII next year and adding the TRE and then running Ivans map and dyno it one more time to see where it is on the A/F. If it is off too far then I will look into desigging my own custom parameters and have a custom map made then.

·
Registered
382 Posts
OK, I just went back in and made the hole bigger by 3/4 on either side of the original ie. half a hole saw on each side of the first hole and it sounds better... still needs a slip-on eventually though.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hey sneaky, was that dyno with the exhaust butterfly valve connected(closed) or disconnected(open). just curious if you remember.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
anybody gonna take some pics of this?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts