Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i just got back from my weekend at the strip and this was my first time since all the upgrades(check signature) and im thinking about going back to stock gearing cause i could not keep the front end down at all every time i accelerate it would pull the front tire up through all six gears my best time was an [email protected] with a 1.919 60' and last year i was pulln [email protected] with 1.6 60'

I mean the bike is insainly fast on the street and have beat every bike I've raced from a 30mph roll with all thats done too it!

But ive been doing alot of thinking and think im going to build a full blown drag bike to get my kicks and keep my ten for the street and road course's!

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I think if I am reading right you answered your own question...I can't keep the front end down and then you wonder why you can't get better times. :heyyou:

if you can't handle that gearing then it is probably wrong for your style and expertise right now, as long as you get strapped and lowered then practice there even if stock gearing to get the best time but to go aggressive gearing and wondering why you go slower then it makes no sense because it says you don't know how to launch with that gearing period...good luck on the drag bike you won't have to worry about wheelies as much :headshake:wink:

·
Registered
235 Posts
so you went up 5 teeth basically, and you wonder why you can't keep the front down? :dontknow:

Use the rear brake............

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
5 teeth your crazy...It says he went -1,+2 meaing from stock settings he went from a 17 tooth sprocket in the front to 16 and went from a 41 tooth sprocket in the rear to a 43, basically lost a little up top to gain a little down low, wanted more mid-range and acceleration from down low. Thats what he ment, def not anything to do with 5 teeth, heck he would be stunting wheelies haha

So you know stock settings on a 08-09 zx10r is 17/41 from the factory so you know from now on

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
Actually, they say, going down 1T in front is like going up three in back so if he went down 1t in front and up 2t in rear that would basically be like going up 5 in back.

·
5,932 Posts
I can agree with that but in the same sense its not the same as doing it though. Trust me on that, I have a bike in the house right now just for stunting and my sprocket on that is 5-6 up in the rear and 5-6 dropped up front and its a torque machine. If you dont know how to ride it, it will pull right over on you. But what ever he kind answered his own question in this thread lol

·
Registered
344 Posts
ok so i just got back from my weekend at the strip and this was my first time since all the upgrades(check signature) and im thinking about going back to stock gearing cause i could not keep the front end down at all every time i accelerate it would pull the front tire up through all six gears my best time was an [email protected] with a 1.919 60' and last year i was pulln [email protected] with 1.6 60'

I mean the bike is insainly fast on the street and have beat every bike I've raced from a 30mph roll with all thats done too it!

But ive been doing alot of thinking and think im going to build a full blown drag bike to get my kicks and keep my ten for the street and road course's!
I take it you are not strapped and lowered ?? well if not and you dont want to do that its going to be very hard to drive ,come out soft, trail brake and short shift 1st to 2nd, keep your head over tank and good luck

also i would think of going back to just -1
its mostly seat time . I am learning this SWB stuff right now to and its pretty fun

·
Registered
340 Posts
I can agree with that but in the same sense its not the same as doing it though. Trust me on that, I have a bike in the house right now just for stunting and my sprocket on that is 5-6 up in the rear and 5-6 dropped up front and its a torque machine. If you dont know how to ride it, it will pull right over on you. But what ever he kind answered his own question in this thread lol
You -5 or 6 up front?!?!?!?!?!?!

I helped build my roomates F4i and went up +12 and -1 and that thing pulls up in just about any gear. I have never heard of going down 5 or 6, thats just crazy!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I take it you are not strapped and lowered ?? well if not and you dont want to do that its going to be very hard to drive ,come out soft, trail brake and short shift 1st to 2nd, keep your head over tank and good luck

also i would think of going back to just -1
its mostly seat time . I am learning this SWB stuff right now to and its pretty fun
trail brake...is that were you hold the rear brake...i love the SWB its more of a challenge but i really don't want to lower it cause i heard that makes cornering suck, ive thought about a few different idea's to help one guy suggested that i do a wheelie bar but i don't know about that one if ima do anything it will be a drag bike or just a lil more seat time on the practicing the 10r!...i just don't like getting beat by GSXR's

·
Registered
344 Posts
trail brake...is that were you hold the rear brake...i love the SWB its more of a challenge but i really don't want to lower it cause i heard that makes cornering suck, ive thought about a few different idea's to help one guy suggested that i do a wheelie bar but i don't know about that one if ima do anything it will be a drag bike or just a lil more seat time on the practicing the 10r!...i just don't like getting beat by GSXR's
yes trail braking is when you control your wheelie with the brake without lifting of the gas ,it takes alot of practice not to back of the throttle when it wheelies , but it does work

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
a lot of guys say -1/+2 but you got to remember that an 08 is up 2 on the rear from an 04/05 go back to stock on the rear and see if that works and get a front strap and the adjustble links (seat time ) and xs power can ride ive seem him go some real good numbers on his 10 i would listen to him

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I think I will give that a try, but I still wanna build a full blown drag bike...

I've got a guy that has a 2000 aprilia RSV1000 that I can get for $800 but is all torn apart and has salvage title so I was thinking that it would be a good bike to strech way out lower and wheelie bars and maybe some NOS or a turbo?

·
Registered
52 Posts

I have never heard of anyone going more then 2 down in the front on any bike, what is that, like a 10 tooth sprocket?

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
I have never heard of anyone going more then 2 down in the front on any bike, what is that, like a 10 tooth sprocket?
Got to be a misprint, i would think the Chain would interfere like crazy with the swingarm, I have heard of that happening even only going down 2 in front.

·
5,932 Posts
I have three sprockets for my 954rr, technically its my best friends bike and mine, we went half on it together and it has a 11 tooth up front right now; but I have a 12 n 13 sitting on the work bench...We wanted it so all you had to do is pull on the gas and it would come up for 12 oclocks. What doesnt kill you only makes you that much better right haha, jp. Yeah most people only drop 2-3 we dropped 4 haha

It was a misprint lol, give me a brake...But yeah we have had problems with it but its a shity bike so we dont really care. Only paid a 1000 for it. It does what it needs to do

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I have three sprockets for my 954rr, technically its my best friends bike and mine, we went half on it together and it has a 11 tooth up front right now; but I have a 12 n 13 sitting on the work bench...We wanted it so all you had to do is pull on the gas and it would come up for 12 oclocks. What doesnt kill you only makes you that much better right haha, jp. Yeah most people only drop 2-3 we dropped 4 haha

It was a misprint lol, give me a brake...But yeah we have had problems with it but its a shity bike so we dont really care. Only paid a 1000 for it. It does what it needs to do
You have an 11 tooth sprocket JESUS, That thing must eat up chains. -1 +2 is exactly the same thing as going up 5 teeth in the rear

·
5,932 Posts
yeah in 6 months of using this 954 with this set up, stock chain and a new one. We've gone threw both, but the pay off is worth it when stunting at the spot

·
T Double D
870 Posts
what i do is put my sheild on the windscrene just like kenny in this photo got as much of your weight over the tank as possible im not even lowered and im keeping my front end down no problem with -1 in front

Attachments

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
good god -6 in front???

1 - 20 of 20 Posts