Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.
Longtime lurker here

I have agen 4 zx10r that I’ve daily riden for past 4-5 year and modified.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Automotive lighting

Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Wheel Tire Vehicle brake

Helmet Fuel tank Motorcycle Automotive tail & brake light Hood

Rectangle Schematic Font Parallel Pattern

I’ve had it up for sale before but can’t bring myself to put it at a sensible price (as I don’t really want to sell it).
I’ve done more to the bike that I remember lol.
Lately I’ve been trialing these Petg cowls out as I’m sick of the Kawasaki offering.
Hood Automotive lighting Grille Vehicle Motor vehicle

Rectangle Road surface Grey Asphalt Font

Rectangle Gas Font Electronic device Composite material

Hood Luggage and bags Triangle Bag Automotive design

Tire Hood Automotive lighting Wheel Automotive tire

will be attempting to do a complete undertail probably next year.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
The bike looks great and the developing seat cowl is the perfect shape. I'll have to follow this thread so that I can see if I want to pick one up when its ready. I wonder if they can do a twill weave carbon fiber version?

Reactions: afz86

·
Vendor
63 Posts
Welcome to the conversation, @afz86
Thanks for introducing yourself!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The bike looks great and the developing seat cowl is the perfect shape. I'll have to follow this thread so that I can see if I want to pick one up when its ready. I wonder if they can do a twill weave carbon fiber version?

Thanks. Unsure at this stage if I will be offering a carbon version. Would have to make a reverse mould which if unsure if my “draft angles” on the underside would allow (mainly the hook detail).
Tbh I don’t know much about making carbon fibre parts. It’s on the list of million things to learn lol

Currently just looking to get this part right. Only then will I resume the replacement undertail i designed few years back. After that I may look into carbon versions :)

These 3d printed Petg pillion cover versions are between 150 and 190 grams (depending on version) without the oem seat bracket, brass inserts and m6 bolts.

this was an old version of the undertail.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
If that tail light puts out as many (or ideally more) lumens than the OEM tail light I would be very interested in the undertail you sell.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
this was an old version of the undertail. View attachment 451101
If the LED light strip wrapped all the way around (just under the white tail piece) and the light was red in the center but transitioned to amber turn signals around the sides that would be absolutely sick.

I actually just ordered a Hotbodies undertail yesterday but only to tide me over until you engineer the wrap around idea. ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the LED light strip wrapped all the way around (just under the white tail piece) and the light was red in the center but transitioned to amber turn signals around the sides that would be absolutely sick.

I actually just ordered a Hotbodies undertail yesterday but only to tide me over until you engineer the wrap around idea. ;)
already done ;)

Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Light

the undertail project will be a far greater task to make saleable. I’m unsure what people would be happy with. It’s not splash proof like the hot bodies version.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I’m interested in this undertail. My gen4 is looking like it’s 15 years old with the current style of tail light.

It looks like you are taking some suggestions, and if so can I suggest that you use an LED strip similar to this in the picture below? I pasted a link as well.

What you have designed looks great, but the led strip that you use, in my opinion looks dated.

BMW has a great looking tail light strip and if you can use this type, you have a customer in me.

Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Automotive design

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’m interested in this undertail. My gen4 is looking like it’s 15 years old with the current style of tail light.

It looks like you are taking some suggestions, and if so can I suggest that you use an LED strip similar to this in the picture below? I pasted a link as well.

What you have designed looks great, but the led strip that you use, in my opinion looks dated.

BMW has a great looking tail light strip and if you can use this type, you have a customer in me.

View attachment 451118
hello,

Thanks for the suggestions. This issue with fitting the led strip you have shown, it’s only available in long 30/45cm versions and this makes indicator/turn part of the strip up end up on the inside side new undertail. If there is a shorter one I come across I will definitely use it.

as for the second picture that’s an aftermarket part.

Talking of bmw s1000rr, I am tempted to do away with the strip completely and use led bmw indicators off the numberplate bracket.

This would then be road legal for the UK as well being the indicators are wider that number plate. I may still off the other for the US.

Please bare with me. This will not be resume Till new year at least

Thanks

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
It looks fantastic though I'm having a hard time spotting the difference in the new design.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It looks fantastic though I'm having a hard time spotting the difference in the new design.
Thanks bud :)
Chamfer detail on the face is a little less than before as well as the print settings are different, most importantly the polygon count is far higher so it doesn’t show as many “triangles” as the old version. My fone camera doesn’t show it well.

In conclusion to this print unfortunately the surface artifacts on this part won’t be acceptable for most and show use.
However It will lend itself to being primered, flatted then painted and look as good as the painter deems it. I was hoping to get it better but this is the nature of 3d printers.

I will be running the bare plastic. My bike isnt a show piece, it’s a work horse ;)

I’ll post a clearer picture comparing the triangles I mean later this week.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I couldn’t wait.

Version 27 seat cowl fitted 🙂
Needs prepping for paint. 153 grams of Petg filament.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Yup looks pretty sick overall but I think I'm having a hard time when I look at the 6 triangles directly from behind and above in image 0cb92825-5e2a-4049-bcbd-9fff7d9497e4-jpeg.451263

That's just me though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yup looks pretty sick overall but I think I'm having a hard time when I look at the 6 triangles directly from behind and above in image 0cb92825-5e2a-4049-bcbd-9fff7d9497e4-jpeg.451263

That's just me though.
I’m redoing some older designs soon. Will show you one over the weekend. The 3rd hasn’t had much interest. But I’ll try squeeze that in too

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Old pic for comparison vs the low version fitted today
If I had to pick one, I'd go with the low version you showed us today. It would also be super easy for me to skin with a carbon layer and get the look I'm going for.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts