Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't wait for bluedevil any longer (sorry blue :wink: ). I built my own version of the cheap gear position indicator. It uses LED's instead of a display.
Each gear lights an LED. So sixth is 6 LEDs lit, first is 1 LED and neutral is none. I just wired it up tonight. The pics are horrible, I took them in the dark. I'll try to get better ones in daylight, but these will give you the idea.

1st gear:

6th gear:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
fastbikesrule said:
I couldn't wait for bluedevil any longer (sorry blue :wink: ). I built my own version of the cheap gear position indicator. It uses LED's instead of a display.
Each gear lights an LED. So sixth is 6 LEDs lit, first is 1 LED and neutral is none. I just wired it up tonight. The pics are horrible, I took them in the dark. I'll try to get better ones in daylight, but these will give you the idea.

1st gear:

6th gear:
no worries..in fact what you have posted has always been available to anyone with a good search button on the net. I would have never went that route as i know that is almost common knowledge in the gear indicator business. What you won't find is any company that has made a display for an actual display number that reacts as fast as you can change a gear...that is what most people are waiting for.:mrgreen:

the bar method if it works for you though is cool...just not for me and I suspect many others. :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah, it seems this is a common setup, just that no one has adapted it to a ZX-10 yet.

I'm definitely not keeping the bar, it was just what I had. I'm going to use different colored LEDs. Hopefully I can find a way to integrate them into the stock gauge cluster.
I think the numerical display would be hard to see at speed. With the LEDs you just have to look for the color, instead of trying to read a number.

EDIT: I knew you'd be the first to reply to this. :)

·
Registered
697 Posts
fastbikesrule said:
I'm definitely not keeping the bar, it was just what I had. I'm going to use different colored LEDs. Hopefully I can find a way to integrate them into the stock gauge cluster.
Look at the bezel around the tach. There are several indents that would be the perfect place for LED's indicating each gear. I'd personally start out using an LED for second, since neutral has a light on the cluster. If I had any clue about electronics, I'd have one made by now. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
05Zixxer said:
Look at the bezel around the tach. There are several indents that would be the perfect place for LED's indicating each gear.
Way ahead of you. I just want to make sure it works perfect before I cut up my gauges.

titanium said:
i think i smell some competition, now this should be interesting:+1:
Haha, no competition (Well maybe a little friendly competition :wink: ). Just sharing a different solution to a problem.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Pics and price of final product please. I would take led bars but might I make a suggestion? Make the first 3 bars one color and the next 3 a diffrent color. Or do it in 2's, 2 red, 2 yellow and 2 green??? Just something so you automatically know in a split second without having to waste time counting and so they don't bleed together and end up a big blur at night or during hard acceleration/vibration. Just a thought.

AFMEDIC

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AFMEDIC - I'm going to make each gear a different color LED and see how that works out. I can't find any real good bar type displays.

These are the colors I was thinking of:
1st Red
2nd Orange
3rd Yellow
4th Green
5th Blue
6th White
I could also make them different brightnesses, if desired.

But right now I'm waiting for parts... grrr...

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Looking at the bezels on the stock display and the fact there are 7 of them....well...this could also be a cool idea...damm if I can only finish my Gear indicator this could be my new project too....lol

good luck FBR...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
967 Posts
fastbikesrule said:
AFMEDIC - I'm going to make each gear a different color LED and see how that works out. I can't find any real good bar type displays.

1st Red
2nd Orange
3rd Yellow
4th Green
5th Blue
6th White

Right on Brutha. Keep us posted

AFMEDIC

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
Whoever gets one done first is getting my money!!!

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
fastbikesrule said:

1st Red
2nd Orange
3rd Yellow
4th Green
5th Blue
6th White

Will only individual ones be on for each gear, ex: just green lit for 4th. or will the other lower gears be lit as well? If only one is lit for each gear, I see a potential problem.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,616 Posts
You could use all the same color LED's, but put a sticker or something on top of them with the gear number on it. Sorta like the stock LED's with the highbeam, neutral, etc. That would be cool too.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Spacecoast 10R said:
Will only individual ones be on for each gear, ex: just green lit for 4th. or will the other lower gears be lit as well? If only one is lit for each gear, I see a potential problem.
I can do it either way. I could even set it up so you could switch from one to the other.

I'm trying to get this together as fast as possible (I want one too! :smile: ), but it's been so damn cold lately that I haven't gotten much time to test it on the bike. :sad:

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
fastbikesrule said:
I can do it either way. I could even set it up so you could switch from one to the other.

I'm trying to get this together as fast as possible (I want one too! :smile: ), but it's been so damn cold lately that I haven't gotten much time to test it on the bike. :sad:
The problem I see with having the different colors for each gear, is that;
1. the neutral light is already green.
2. if a person is color blind, reds and greens are the same shade of grey. So that person might mistake one gear for the other.

My thought about what you are doing is to light a certain number of leds for whichever gear you are in. 4 LEDS for 4th, etc. If the LEDs are big enough but noit too big you'll be able to quickly tell which gear you are in without having to look directly at it and use periferal vision. Just my opinion. I wish I had time to come up with something.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts